Fear of being outdrawn...

titans4ever

titans4ever

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hope you know my AA was in sarcasim mode.

Poker is all about edges. Cash games you can sit and wait until you have a huge edge over everyone else playing that hand. It is a game of patience and control.

Tournaments you have to push smaller edges because of the increasing blinds. mrrigel, what is you edge threashhold? Most tournaments players live between 60/40 and 50/50. If I know someone is on a draw and goes all-in, I will call every time. You have them 2/1 on the flop and 4/1 on the turn. What better odds are you looking for?

You are classifying yourself as super tight. What I am trying to really tell you is that this style can work but you are shorting yourself. Your friends are trying to tell you that you could be making alot more than what you are by allowing yourself to open up your game some.

It is the risk/reward principle. You call one of your opponents all-ins on the flop. You win 2 times and bust out 1 time. That double up may allow you steamroll and make it to a final table. That is where the serious money is. One top 10 finish is worth more money than 3 finishes just inside the money.

mrrigel

mrrigel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree. I even said in another thread that I'm trying to take more shots later in tournements to have the needed stack for a final table run. This is not my whole outlook on every hand of the game. We all know there is many more factors involved to simply say, "I always play tight every hand no matter what". That's not what I mean at all. But say a tournament hans't yet reached the money, and I am in this situation we have been speaking of, I think the 100% chance of continuing play is much more attractive then calling his draw and risk going home. Favorite or no. I won't fold verytime, but if serious damage can occur and I'm not too committed. Why risk?