Fast transition tips on tournament to heads up texas hold'em.

U

userveme

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Recently, I was playing heads up texas and got dominated two games in a row. What are some fast transition tips from tournament to heads up texas hold'em poker from intermediate to advanced players?

Vollycat

Vollycat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't mean to be cruel, but if you are asking this question you are not ready for advanced because you are not intermediate yet.

Read this forum and play. It sounds simple, but it sounds as if you need a lot more time on the tables. People here that have put in many hours (read that as years) of study and play time, and still struggle with heads up play. It's a rare opportunity for the most part unless you seek out that game. The only other time is at the final table--obviously.

Play more sng's--that will get you heads up more often then multi table tournies. Go to one of the heads up cash game for a really low limit--and hope the other guy isn't donking or drunk and really wants to play/learn like yourself.

Tygran

Tygran

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Best tip? Don't.

Heads up matches are the single most luck dominated form of poker you could possibly play. Being a skilled player largely involves manipulating odds into your favor, so why would you try to focus on the hardest type of poker to do this in?

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In two very simple points, I'd say you need to look at the following:

- Open your starting hand requirements up. A lot.
- Play aggressive.

The value of high cards goes up in heads up, and suited hands are no longer much more valuable than their unsuited equivalents.

C

chink44

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like these kinds of tournaments because I love to be aggressive. IMO it takes a lot of aggression. I believe and have seen the aggressor win these types of tournaments a lot. You really have to open up the playbook. Just like FR and 6Max ATC can win. You really have to develop your post flop play in these. I usually raise with any ace (thats my style). But like some people said, its a very dominated style, but if you can get good you can be the dominator.

Vollycat

Vollycat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Heads up matches are the single most luck dominated form of poker you could possibly play. Being a skilled player largely involves manipulating odds into your favor, so why would you try to focus on the hardest type of poker to do this in?

This statement is just plain wrong.

Poker Tips