S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Watch the movie Rounders with her - When she asks what it's about and you say poker and she gets disinterested, quickly tell her that Matt Daemon is in the movie and she will quickly become interested..

Rounders is a cult movie that got a lot of people into poker.. Maybe your gf will be one of them..

Worst case scenario she gets to watch Matt Daemon.

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I had to explain to my wife & parents that I use proper bankroll management. I let them know that I will not go broke playing online poker haha.

My wife freaked out because her mom is against gambling and her friend's dad had a bad experience with gambling. (Went bankrupt and the guy had owed some money to some rough shady people) So obviously I don't play poker in front of my mother-in-law. I just wait until she's gone. :D

Also another thing is time. Since I have a wife & 2 kids: I have to obviously spend time with them. I can't play poker 24/7. Hell even if I made millions playing poker, eventually they would leave me because I'm showing them no attention.

So to the OP: Coming from a married man with two kids. It's not just about the money, you gotta spend time with your GF too. Find that balance and spend some of your poker winnings on a nice dinner with her :D Then she'll let you play poker all day & night haha

Last edited:
Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The only way to get them to understand is through attrition. Just keep doing your thing until she gets tired of arguing or worrying about it and she'll notice that you're not breaking the bank and may even start to understand a little about what you're doing. This should only take about 4 years. This must be a new girlfriend as you've already been at this quite along time. Nice to see you again.

TomLeach

TomLeach

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Watch the movie Rounders with her - When she asks what it's about and you say poker and she gets disinterested, quickly tell her that Matt Daemon is in the movie and she will quickly become interested..

Rounders is a cult movie that got a lot of people into poker.. Maybe your gf will be one of them..

Worst case scenario she gets to watch Matt Daemon.

THIS IS THE WORSE ADVICE IN THE WORLD. DONT EVER WATCH THIS WITH HER, even if there is a fire!

its about a poker player (matt damon)
>loses his whole role
>quits poker
>starts again
>girlfriend pissed
>he plays
>its her or the poker
>he chooses poker
>no longer together because he moves to vegas to play poker 24/7

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It shows her that he has options though =o

lol

C

cotta777

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ive been in this situation theirs not really alot that can get around it
becoming a poker player is like a cult you have to be brainwashed into
the poker way of life only we in the community understand, the things we watch and read
our role models we take advice from, what we go through day to day
without those experiences, one can never truely understand poker.

It wasn't until I moved in with her and she started seeing how deep I get in mtts and how big the fields are and things like.

she found a wad of cash in my coat pockets on a few occasions I was getting in like 5am she knew something was up in fact she actually thought I was dealing drugs and lying because she didnt think you could make money playing poker she has the disillusion all gamblers lose.

Long story short it never worked out and she still hates it Its too risky as a career and shes right Ive had a year out to get into a secure career path. Ive just coming back now part time loving poker again, only play one big online tournament here or their and a few cash games.

My advice is focus on creating something positive for yourself as well as poker if the poker takes off and your making like 1000 a week plus great its obviously going somewhere otherwise until then dont over invest family and partners will always be their thick and thin poker might not

el_magiciann

el_magiciann

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It shows her that he has options though =o

lol

Hahaha man you killed it! :D This thread is really educating, now i'll know how to face issues like this. I have never had such problems but in any point it might happen. I think she talks so much about it because she wants you to pay more attention to her than poker. And MTT's are long as pure time you use, maybe because of this (mtt going on 5h.) she thinks you are going to get some addiction or whatever kind of strange thoughts. :jd4:

U

UnreaLaydown

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Find the one

you sir need to find a girlfriend like mine. She loves poker and plays with me all the time ;)

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
well, it may become big problem in your relationship in the future.
she is not open minded for poker and thats ok but when she tried to make influence into your interest after you gave an explanation to her for me it is lack of trust in your behavior.
hope i am wrong!!!!

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for all of the replies.

My gf doesn't have a problem with poker itself. In fact, her family has a poker game they play every few months that she invited me to. It's a $50, which is funny, because that's way more than I pay for games online. After speaking with her again, her 2 biggest concerns are: the amount of games I'm playing during the week. She feels that me playing 2-4 MTTs a night, mon-fri, is a sign of a person with a gambling addiction. Her other concern is that the money in my poker account isn't actually mine until I have it in hand or in a bank account. So, I plan on cashing out a good chunk of it and leaving enough to keep me BR'd for the games I'm currently playing. Hopefully, this can ease her fears about my poker monies. I'll also let her know that even though I'm still going to play, it's no longer with my own money invested and just with the money I've won off others. I'm not sure she'll quite understand that, but if I can make consistent wins and decent withdraws, she might be ok with it. She, more than likely, just wants the physical proof that I am making money playing online. However, it'll be money I'll keep for myself. Sure, I'll take her to dinner or something nice but majority of it I'll be keeping because this doesn't affect anything as far as money goes. It'll be no different than if I wasn't playing and bring in a little extra cash.

As far as spending time with her, we spend our weekends together. Like I said in an earlier post, when I'm with her, I'm with her. We usually see each other on weekends because of our work schedules and the distance between us. We both work early in the morning till 5-6 pm. And if we tried seeing each other during the weekdays, one of us has to go through heavy traffic to see the other after work, possibly spend a good 4 hours together before we sleep because that person who drove has to leave even earlier to get to work the next day. It's just a lot of work, driving, and gas money to just spend a few hours with someone. So, we agreed that the weekends is the best time to see each other. Not saying we don't ever see each other during the week, it depends if we can actually spend quality time together.

As far as balancing out playing poker and being with her, I dont play when I'm with her. It's as simple as that. I leave my laptop at home when I go see her. Also, we've been together for a little over 16th months now and I just started playing poker online again in late Oct of this year; and like I said, I play during the week. If you're thinking that I could be spendind time with her during the week instead of playing, it's the same reasoning as above that I gave. In fact, it would've made no difference even if I hadn't started playing because I'd be doing something else like binging on netflix or playing COD.

I'll be seeing her this weekend and I'm sure we'll talk about it more. Hopefully, I can get her to understand my passion for the game and why I enjoy playing it.

Last edited:
duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Asked my gf what she thought, her response was same as mine
Do they share finances? Does it cut into time together? No and no? She is just being controlling then, dude is an adult and can make his own decisions.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Like if you were losing 50 bucks a week that's not a big cost in terms of entertainment costs.

TomLeach

TomLeach

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Does she watch TV? Go out for drinks with friends? Its kinda the same...

your post was too long for me to read right now, but it looks like its sorted..

What i would suggest is creating a separate bank account, so you can effectively still have your 400$ BR... Its just not a 'bankroll' ;)

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Me and my ex-wife are good friends and I'm over here a lot so I play here a lot too. And I talk about it with her. But you know what, she don't want to hear it.But one day I handed her a $400 gift card I won from here, and she is all smiles. But now I don't even talk to her about it unless I win a good amount. Then she wants to know just how fast I can cash it out. lol

S

szilard101

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You should consider to get her to play once ..so she will know what you are talking about.

fubarcdn

fubarcdn

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It sounds like you talked it out with her and came to a conclusion that you are both happy with.
That is great.
With a little more talk and some quality time together this weekend I am sure you will find yourselves closer together because of this.
Way to go.

BluffMeAllIn

BluffMeAllIn

4evrInmyheart RIP xoxo :(
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd go with telling her I could be spending that much each night at a strip club and what would I have to show for that besides the entertainment and ain't no chance of a +'ve ROI at strip clubs lol

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I'd go with telling her I could be spending that much each night at a strip club and what would I have to show for that besides the entertainment and ain't no chance of a +'ve ROI at strip clubs lol

"I'm either going to use the money playing poker or at a strip club" doesn't seem like something that will go over too well

=o

Bee

Bee

to bee or not to bee
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I had a problem with my boyfriend too . Always complained that too little time I spend with him. There was no other way than to show him how to open his own account. I learned him how to play. Now he play all day and night. Im free to play. Paradise :)

D

da_goat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"I'm either going to use the money playing poker or at a strip club" doesn't seem like something that will go over too well

=o
Unless you want a breakup/divorce.

D

da_goat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had a problem with my boyfriend too . Always complained that too little time I spend with him. There was no other way than to show him how to open his own account. I learned him how to play. Now he play all day and night. Im free to play. Paradise :)

I had a guy complain that he never got to golf that much and he got his wife involved in golf...he got to play a lot more and 2 years later she plays more than he does.

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I had a guy complain that he never got to golf that much and he got his wife involved in golf...he got to play a lot more and 2 years later she plays more than he does.

Any chance that she ended up getting better at it then him and now she plays more then him because he plays less often due to the fact that he is getting beat on the golf course by his wife

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Someone you are dating is complaining about how you spend your time when you aren't with her eh. Just ask her what she wants you to do, the do it. Don't worry, it will get easier with time, afore you know it you will have completely forgotten why you thought you should have an opinion about anything anyway.
R.I.P. :)

belladonna05

belladonna05

belladonkin'
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
HI PHilthy!!!! Not gonna comment except for .....
should we find you an avatar?:D