expected earn rate

S

SlowcalaPro

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
"I'd say poker is easier to make money at than baseball, but it's the same logic."

Are you on crack? LMAO Just kidding. But seriously, when is the last time you saw a losing poker player making a league minimum? A baseball player, or team, could have a winless season and still make hundreds of thousands, if not millions. So I think baseball players make money easier than poker players. I would much rather be a below average pro ball player than an average pro poker player. Wouldnt you?:deal: Just sign the contract.

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But seriously, when is the last time you saw a losing poker player making a league minimum? A baseball player, or team, could have a winless season and still make hundreds of thousands, if not millions. So I think baseball players make money easier than poker players. I would much rather be a below average pro ball player than an average pro poker player. Wouldnt you?:deal: Just sign the contract.
It's nice to say that, but I'd be willing to bet that you're more qualified to be a pro poker player than you are a pro baseball player. Anyone can claim pro poker player and try to cut a living from it, not so with pro baseball. So from that perspective, it is easier to make money in poker than it is in baseball. You still need a certain level of skill just to make the team and make the minimum.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"I'd say poker is easier to make money at than baseball, but it's the same logic."

Are you on crack? LMAO Just kidding. But seriously, when is the last time you saw a losing poker player making a league minimum? A baseball player, or team, could have a winless season and still make hundreds of thousands, if not millions. So I think baseball players make money easier than poker players. I would much rather be a below average pro ball player than an average pro poker player. Wouldnt you?:deal: Just sign the contract.

If you can make it, but that's the point. I've worked my whole life at baseball, and although I am playing in college, I'm at a division III school and not really expecting to go much further. No matter how hard you work, you have to be one of a few body builds to make it even to a decent college program. Look at ALL of the small guys, and they all had connections somewhere to get them in the door. Brian Roberts had his dad, and then he got cut from his college team when his dad left. Steroid accusations aside, I don't think anyone argues he's good enough to be there. While baseball's definitely more forgiving than other sports (try making it as a 150 pound football player or a 5'5" basketball player), it's really hard to make it as a pro sports player. Yet despite playing baseball for 13 years and poker for 3, I'm showing a profit at poker. If you work on your game it is definitely possible to make money in poker. It is much harder to make money playing baseball, the only difference is if you do make it, you're a lot better off than most poker players who make money. The other major thing is schedule. If you can profit from online poker, you can basically set your own schedule to play. Name another job where you can do that? But if it were easy, everyone would do it, and that applies to poker and baseball. Anyway, I'm kinda rambling now, so I'll stop.

B

bustme

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If your good you should make over 10 BB /100 hand

B

bustme

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ive just moved up in stakes to NL 20.... And it is easyer to make profit there than lover levels............

At this stake people have begin to be afraid of there money

So if you can make it on the lover stakes you can probably make it on the higher

G

GabryRox

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you can make it, but that's the point. I've worked my whole life at baseball, and although I am playing in college, I'm at a division III school and not really expecting to go much further. No matter how hard you work, you have to be one of a few body builds to make it even to a decent college program. Look at ALL of the small guys, and they all had connections somewhere to get them in the door. Brian Roberts had his dad, and then he got cut from his college team when his dad left. Steroid accusations aside, I don't think anyone argues he's good enough to be there. While baseball's definitely more forgiving than other sports (try making it as a 150 pound football player or a 5'5" basketball player), it's really hard to make it as a pro sports player. Yet despite playing baseball for 13 years and poker for 3, I'm showing a profit at poker. If you work on your game it is definitely possible to make money in poker. It is much harder to make money playing baseball, the only difference is if you do make it, you're a lot better off than most poker players who make money. The other major thing is schedule. If you can profit from online poker, you can basically set your own schedule to play. Name another job where you can do that? But if it were easy, everyone would do it, and that applies to poker and baseball. Anyway, I'm kinda rambling now, so I'll stop.

I totally agree with you... to become a professional athlete, you have to be born with a certain amount of natural ability. Certainly those people still need to work to hone their skills, but the fact remains that the vast majority of people would never be able to make it to the pro/self-sustaining level no matter how much effort they put into it. Similar thing with being a musician.

However, poker is not really dependant on physical prowess, so most average people would at least have a shot at becoming succesful at it (I think that is where the ultra-high popularity comes in). Certainly you need a decent mind for numbers/odds/analytics and such, but there's probably only a relatively small segment of society that does not possess that ability. Of course, I'm talking about mainly online playing here. If you're playing brick & mortar, it's somewhat more dependant on your ability to read people and such. But still, this population of poeple is significantly higher than those that have a ligitmate shot at becoming a pro athlete or musician.

Speaking of reading people, isn't it juck sick how Negranau can read what people are holding? Was watching the wsop on ESPN the other day, and I swear, the guy was dead on on almost all of his reads. Even the announcers were amazed, stating that "maybe he should be in charge of finding Bin Laden"!

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree about sports but disagree about poker.

Like everything in life you need a skill set.

Poker is not just about maths ability, it is also about mental strength and lots more.

I can`t think of many things in life where u do not need an amount of ability. For example, some people are good with their hands, so they work a trade plumber, electrician, etc.) Others, however, are better with their brain.

LRPharm54

LRPharm54

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my most humble opinion, it is difficult to gauge an average earning rate. I would think a player who has given the time to learn as much as possible, and playing a large number of games over a reasonably long time frame should be able to increase his/her bank by 50% over the long haul. Since it is considerably random on what cards a player will get, it depends wholly on good cards, smart aggressive playing style, and a reserved non-chasing profile. Even the best player can lose if the cards aren't there, but with patience and consciencious playing, you should increase your bankroll over the long haul with good focused playing. Otherwise it is a tossup in any event and the statistical probablilities will be that you will lose more often than win. It also depends on consistency and the card playing smarts of the other players involved. If you get a room full of dummies, you have it made and you can double your stack quickly and know when to bluff or not.

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I mean, look at it this way: if you earn 5PTBBs/100 at 50max full ring, you can 6-table and make $30 per 100 hands, so about the same per hour, which is quite solid.