Emotions in Poker

arashsgr

arashsgr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
emotion

this part is a human factor of gameplay, this item changes the whole result, this part makes the difference between a professional poker player and mature ones . a professional poker player always take control over his/her emotion this is the reason why hey can climb the ladder of success throughout their entire carrier. you need to improve your emotional quality in order to take advantage of this complex game. you need to be like a robot to overpass downswings:cool:

Wrathchild

Wrathchild

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My lack of emotional control is probably the biggest leak in my game. When I'm playing my A game and things are going well, or even if I'm just breaking even and things are mild, no worries. But man, if I make that ONE bad call, take that ONE bad beat (get coolered, sucked out on etc.) It's really easy for me to lose my cool. What usually happens is I stop thinking rationally, and I'll move up in stakes and try and run it up, making the worst plays until I burn through more than what most would consider a reasonable amount of money. I've been reading "The Mental Game of Poker" and Jared Tendler describes this exact phenomenon down to the letter. It's nice knowing that I'm part of a large swath of players prone to this. What's not so nice is being AWARE this an issue and I STILL do it. Wanna make some money? Find me on a table when I'm running bad. Look for the guy spewing chips on a 500NL with questionable hands - that might be me. I have some external (to poker) and internal (to myself) issues I need to sort through to better manage these emotions. I'm getting a lot better at it. doing things like partitioning my bankroll across different exchanges/accounts and wallets to make it difficult for me to burn through more than a few buy-ins at a time. It's a slow process for me (learning how to control my anger/emotions). but we're getting there.

Here's where I get deep: I'm a recovering alcoholic with 133 days sober and my father passed away almost a month ago. I had a rough upbringing and have clinically diagnosed ADHD and Acute Major Depressive disorder. Right now I'm a recipe for disaster when it comes to emotional control. So this aspect of my game is particularly difficult to address. But I will say this, eating right, working out on a regular basis, meditating every day and doing frequent yoga sessions has helped a great deal during all this, allowing me to have a heightened level of awareness in all things, including when I play cards. Between all that, AA, and therapy I'da been broke a long time ago. But I'm still up, manage my money and bankroll adequately enough to allow for these occasions where I tilt hard.

I've come to accept my emotions as being a part of who I am, and ever the student, I'm still learning to manage them effectively enough to not allow them to blindly dictate my decisions at the table. Also, if anyone else can relate to me, and has successfully overcome this "leak," please share with me (along with the rest of the group) what you did and the results you gained from it. I'm eager to keep learning and keep growing.

I

Ivan Zaruba

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Emotions in poker range from positive to ... Sometimes the desire to play disappears altogether.

Max Diver

Max Diver

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me is funny. I don t see any problem.
Using sometimes is ok.
poker stars should make it easier to release those emotions. They want Us to make a deposit and other staffs.
Cheers,
M.D.

cwdignus

cwdignus

Carpe diem
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
the emotional control is what differentiates the winners from the others, if you make a mistake and don't let the tilt dominate you it is possible to recover and return to the game

Good Man

Good Man

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Emotions create problems for you when certain events at the table provoke faces in your approach to the game. Let's talk about badbit. The badbit itself is not the cause of the tilt. If he was the one who caused the tilt, all players would react to it the same way; but some can continue to play well, no matter how offensive the move was.

Thus, the badbit itself does not cause a tilt; the tilt occurs for a different reason. And the reason for this is the wrong approach, the wrong perception of the game itself, for example, the feeling that you are too good to lose to a bad player. And when you do lose to him, of course you get angry. Thus, badbit provokes tilt only if your psychological component of the game contains a face (for example, the one we just talked about or some others).

Life is a game , play beautiful

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not at all. I'm a rock :rock: .

(Or I just want to be, I don't know.:hmmmm2: )

007Leon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes, but, is good to control in most of times

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Emotions cannot be controlled. It’s just part of us. When it’s too much we need to take break. I feel as much emotion losing as I do winning. We cannot be a robot and just think too either without emotion There is a middle ground. And I think that why it’s so hard during course of playing poker emotion run really high or low.
After a big loss or big win I just try to settle down as much as I can.

besplatnee

besplatnee

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Emotions and poker in general are a rather complicated thing, emotions are often difficult to hide, poker is interesting because it trains control and self-control.

B

bobor19871987

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had emotions today but I managed it

KRANKES

KRANKES

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A big part why I play poker is the emotions. The up and down is the best part in it. After reading this, I should maybe better control them. But where is the fun then?

F

Fushicho

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
how much do emotions influence playing poker ?

They shouldn't, but they do.
Weirdly it's actually when I'm happy and having a good time that I make most mistakes.

Putting too many chips in the pot, "Cos it's fun"

A

angelamsmith05

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It influences a lot and requires skills to control them, it is not an easy thing considering that during the game you move from one state to another very quickly

I like this answer. Sometimes its hard to recover emotionally over a bad bet!

C

chalghaf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
how much do emotions influence playing poker ?

tbh my emotions influence my game more than i would like it to . working on it tho ! and i think for the average player yeah emotions does play a lot when it comes to his game and getting rid of it makes you one step close to becoming a better player.

wolfik1950

wolfik1950

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if someone gets emotional, 99% bad it will end, I know something about it - look, my yesterday's performance in the league

wolfik1950

wolfik1950

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
of course you may be happy or nervous it is normal, but it should not affect your decisions

D

DjancoDan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Best to try and leave emotions out of poker, It's easier said then done.

luckyhenri

luckyhenri

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very very rough emotions when losing with AA

4Adam4

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The Lineage Between Pride and Poker and some other Deep Thoughts not by Jack Handy

The Hot Thread that caught my eye was Emotions in Poker. Your personal or Team Success in Poker should never be a result of your Emotions. Easier said then done. It's always healthy to analyze your demeanor, but only, LATER ON not while you are still playing especially live.. Like Frank the Tank said: "WE ALL NEED TO KEEP OUR COMPOSURE". I think that for some personalities and players Over Analyzing can be just as dangerous. Grinding can be draining, How we react to a negative outcome in the present moment can create a pattern of negativity and short comings on the felt. Your Emotions and Poker is the Ying and Yang to your results and if that doesn't work keep someone around you don't like and every time you take a beat or play a hand poorly have a Slapping Contest with that person. I'm just kidding don't do that. That would fall under Tilted and emotional wreck. So the moral of the story is If Your Pouting. Do Not Dig. Good luck everyone and have a great weekend. And if your gonna play in the Grizzly Tourney Series on Global Poker. "Flips better make that HONEY. Global needs to get Joe Hachem Have him promote and say Pass the Honey. Then him and newly signed to BlackChip Poker "ACR" Chris Honeymaker it will be like old times you know when Norman Chad still was considered a Poker Analyst and not a Poker Entertainer, An Fox and CNN still gave you slivers of the truth. Media Entertainment. I digress. Safe Travels anyone leaving for the Super Bowl.

fernandofcp

fernandofcp

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Emotions play a big part in poker, but only if we let our self-control get lost.

nanida888

nanida888

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my opinion is that emotions strongly affect the game, so it is better not to deal with them, it is neutral to driving, moving, winning, winning. When you are frustrated with a bad move or a loss, you can lose your bankroll. and if you win a lot of hands, you can lose control of the situation and your opponent will beat you.