Downswings

K

kristersb123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lately I have been on a little downswing, how do you deal with downswings and running bad? What is your longest downswing on a period of time and how you got through it because it feels like that nothing is changing but time keeps going. Please share your advice.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
honestly, the only way to get out of a downswing is to put in more volume. however, if you're affected by your current downswing and you don't think you'll be making the correct decisions, it might be best to take a break until you can clear your head and emotions first.

my longest downswing happened many years ago and, iirc, it was ~40 buy-ins or so. it was brutal, but i was putting in a decent amount of volume and it took a few days to break it.

CDNMAN 42

CDNMAN 42

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Waiting

Lately I have been on a little downswing, how do you deal with downswings and running bad? What is your longest downswing on a period of time and how you got through it because it feels like that nothing is changing but time keeps going. Please share your advice.

I fully appreciate the issue with downswings, like all of us I have been there many times, and as the title says. Patience and waiting seems to be the only answer. My longest unbroken downswing playing on 4 online sights daily, approximately 20 tournaments a day, has been from early January this year until just last week. During that period I don’t think I ever won a flip or caught a flush or a straight draw, I may have caught a set a few times only to get beat. As my downswing continued I just started playing more conservatively and waited things out and finally in the past week I have been ITM and final table a few times, things are looking up…I guess the only real advice is be patient and grin and bear it. Enjoy:):):)

blackknives

blackknives

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
me as well, taking a bit of a break on the tables (less games only) and focus on getting some other parts of my life in order, work, wife etc

V

valetgll

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes I shove all-in to take the blinds. I use bluffing whenever possible.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The downswing can be quite long, but the slope should be followed by an ascent. The only question is when?
One thing is for sure, there is nothing below the bottom of the pit, and from there the road only leads upwards.
Perseverance and patience, and improving your game, hand analysis can help you get over the downswing faster.
Good luck. :)

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You need to understand that you will not win all the time, as well as the fact that you will often lose, and the most important thing is to understand that this is normal.
For example, out of 100 tournaments, you will get to the final table 3 times, you will get into the money 15 times, and you will lose 82 times, and this is normal.

77ecos

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
a lot of patience and that this does not affect the way you play, in case it affects you should take a break for at least one day, days in a row with a bad streak is very complicated but always keep in mind that this will happen as long as you are a good player, the best advice is patience and concentration all the time:jd4::jd4::jd4::jd4:

A

acenit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I personally sometimes think some players have better luck and fortune than others

complex1

complex1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Variance

The bottom line is even the best player's in the world lose, lose, lose, lose, lose and lose some more then they WIN BIG!!! That's MTTs.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Downswings are part of the game you need to accept. The thing is some players dont and just make it worst on them self's. What I do in a downswing is look over my play 1st. Looking over my last 20 tournament over 1/2 the time I realize it was not just a downswing but my play. While most players will blame bad luck I look and find its my faulty. Look over your play and be brutally honest about it. I have come out of downswings quickly when its my issue. There are times its just variance and I know mathematically it will turn. When I do have a downturn and its affecting me I take a few days to a week off. Watch a move of get 3 or 4 night of 9+ hours of sleep helps change the attitude a lot.

As for my longest, I have gone over 30 tournament multable times without a cash and of 40 once. I have also have a downturn last 10 months. Nothing harder than loosing money for a long run without one winning month. By the way, this is when I learned to review my play. It was my play that was the issue not the site I was playing on or bad luck. It was my fault

lauestla

lauestla

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Downswings are unfortunatly part of the game. And it can be tough. When I face a very bad run I take a break for a few days in order to clean my mind.
And I make a lot of sports: bicycle riding, swimming…
Generally it works :)

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Aaaah, the ultimate test for a poker player. The whole idea of a downswing has deterred many a player and potential player. I saw my entire online bankroll go from $1100 to $33 in 5 months. I wasn't playing out of my limit, nor was I tilting it off. It was a series of extremely bad beats, coolers, and jaw-dropping rivers. That was 5 years ago. I've been slowly and steadily building it back. Faakking downswings. :viking:

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My downswing has been going on for half a year now. This can be seen in sharkscope. This is terrible. I stopped making deposits, I just play freerolls.

P

plusssev

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I got huge downswing last month and now i am without any money.

Adi8877

Adi8877

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Longest one, when i've played poker everyday last for half year, around 350k hands, still can't believe it...

with anger, have no advice, i have no idea how to deal with in a long run... saying few words, sentences about it is very easy. in live, it is very different...

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Switch poker sites for a while. I’ve found this to definitely help

I actually agree, that it can help to switch poker site or maybe even just switch game format. And this has nothing to do with the RNGs being rigged or anything like that. Its a purely mental thing, where when we have been losing a lot, we tend to enter the next session with a negative mindset, which set us up for failure already. And simply playing some different games against different opponents can take some of that away.

Also sometimes we might actually have picked a bad game format, that we are not beating. For me personally I gave up on Zoom / fast fold cash games after losing a decent amount of buyins in them. And this is also an important thing to keep in mind. If we lose, its not always solely because, we are running bad. Sometimes there are other factors at work, and then we need to change those.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Take a brake or at least a pause.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I've only been playing for 2.5 years - but my longest down swing was at the start of this year.
It lasted right at 3 months. I went from having over 1k in my bank roll to below 100.00. It was BRUTAL.
I never chased losses or bought into a higher stake tourney - nothing dumb, I kept following my strict bankroll management plan, and dropped down and down and down.

Finally within a span of four days the downswing was snapped. I won a 75gtd tourney for something like $18, and followed it up with 5-6 final tables in larger events I ran my meager bankroll up from 100, back up over 1000.00.

I never took a break or got disparaged. Some of the beats I was taking was - just unbelieveable, but I stuck to my game, kept playing my events, kept plugging along and came out the other side.

I may have been able to reduce the length of the down swing by taking a break, not sure - I never did any of the bad stuff you may have seen others do by chasing losses, and playing events beyond their bankroll. As long as you keep proper bankroll management - the hot cold streak will eventually end.

:) :)

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You need to understand that you will not win all the time, as well as the fact that you will often lose, and the most important thing is to understand that this is normal.
For example, out of 100 tournaments, you will get to the final table 3 times, you will get into the money 15 times, and you will lose 82 times, and this is normal.
Where did you pull these estimates/statistics out from?
They seem pretty low to me - so just wonderin.

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Where did you pull these estimates/statistics out from?
They seem pretty low to me - so just wonderin.

This is my approximate statistics, I play Omaha hi / lo, although yes, the statistics are a little underestimated, I often get into the money.
For the game of unlimited hold'em, the statistics will be different. sometimes I play cache 9-max.
And how to compare it, the 6-max Omaha hi/low tournaments and the 9-max hold'em cash game, I myself became interested )).

K

kioge

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everyone will encounter it during the downswing period.
Although it may be caused by the downswing, it is also possible that you cannot win this level at present.
We may not wait for a profitable day in our entire life. So improve our skills as much as possible. The most important thing is to enjoy this game.
Good luck.

E

easy play

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
2 - 3 days break make sense. If you realize there are few spots where you get confused, study them away from the table.

Also Hand reviews help in fixing the leaks.