Doug Polk is full of it!

T

titiduru

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for posting your experience with the online course. What a difference between what you are saying and all those testimonials they put on the training sites lol

S

Sorin Iliescu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i visited only once the upswing site and read an interesting article there about tells. i guess you shouldn't judge doug because of your results. charts do not make you a winning player, it takes much more invested time into the game. also, his youtube videos are quite informative and you get enough information for free. i wouldn't have payed for upswing charts just because talking about ranges and balancing them is much more important, knowing a chart makes you 1% better.

Andymac37

Andymac37

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He won the 1 drop for 3.7 million and 2nd in an online tourney for 700k and another deep run while streaming just this year. HaHa, he is easy to hate I know but his results spea0k for themselves.

Exactly what I was thinking..

schtiuky

schtiuky

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personaly think that you dodnt need a too deep strategy course so fast i wood have exersize with something simple to practice like basics pot odds, equity,bluff spots, and after go for some pro analysis. But its just my opinion.

F

fezjones

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
all the training in the world does do shit if you run bad

rckstr2b

rckstr2b

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Considering I know a few people who took the Upswing course, i can only say that it only taught them about math part of the poker. If a player was to follow those charts in the very long run, should be on the + side of the game.
BUT, it doesn't tell anyone how to maximize on those charts, what hands to mix in, how to behave in unfamiliar situations. If you look at hands Doug played (you can find tons on YT), it is obvious he doesn't follow his own charts completely. He mixes in hands, positions, I will guess mostly based on opponents and reads.

So, don't take online courses for granted, they are not some huge money bringers on their own, it is just tons of advices that should help you in your game..

Doug’s course is aimed at recreational players like ourselves. He himself isn’t playing micro/small stakes too often anymore. Pros play on a different level of deception usually making their style must looser but with lots of strategy. Learn the math and basic strategies, and slowly you’ll build up better plays over time to complement your playing style.
Ps. Just looking at the math isn’t going to improve your game in the long run. You need to study the shit out of it until you know all the math on the fly, in real time, as that’s the only time that matters.