Double or Nothing Challenge

dufferdevon

dufferdevon

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In an effort to build my BR fairly quickly and steadily I am going to try the following:

Play 100 double or nothing SNG at the $10 level - record my progress here in this thread. I figure that if I can maintain a win rate of 65%, that would give me a profit of $260. I will multi table no more than three at a time.

Hopefully this does two things. One, increase my bankroll. Two, increase my focus as I know I will have to report my progress for all the world to see.

Starting BR = $40

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this has inspired me to do my own challenge - play 100 double or nothing donk n goes and try not to die of boredom in the process!

don't mind me, gl sir. :)

KICKIN_ACES

KICKIN_ACES

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sounds like a nice "challenge" good luck in your endeavor :)

diamond_06_06

diamond_06_06

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$40 to start with. What happns if when multitabling the 1st 3 you get a cold run of cards and loose? With the rake you don't have enough to buy in for the 4th table. This experiment could be over very quickly. But good luck, hope it goes well for you. I guess you just need to get off to a god start.

B

BostonRobber

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was thinking along the same lines as diamond that the bankroll given the $10 tables doesn't leave much wiggle room, but I guess you need confidence going in. The early pressure could be tough. Good Luck.

Dwilius

Dwilius

CardsChat Regular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Three buyin downswing should be rare in these. Its pretty hard to lose.

diamond_06_06

diamond_06_06

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

But not nearly impossible. If he looses just 2 then that third table is a Must win or he can no longer buy in.

Wonka22

Wonka22

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
5 people DO lose every game.....I think I probably average losing one in 4...out of not a very big sample....funniest thing happened yesterday.

Guy had 50 chips, was forced all in with blinds...big stack raised small stack went all in....well, guy with 50 chips won main pot....150ish, maybe 175, I don't remember exactly. Anyhow, couple hands later.....remember, we have this guy with 150 who's losing 10 or 25 chips a hand, we have a guy who's pushing...he's got 1k chips or so...he ends up all in by the turn...and....loses...It was a CRAZY game....hahaha

T

toolzz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would agree that is certainly not a large enough bankroll to try the experiment out with....you should try getting it to at least 60$ before attempting.....that gives you a cushion if you do go out on the first three...if you are one of those rich folk then try giving it a shot if you are looking for a challenge

GunslingerZ

GunslingerZ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's not nearly as big of a starting bankroll to play the $10s. A solid SNG player I know has grinded a few hundred of these, he had a stretch where he cashed in 14 out of 15, followed by a stretch where he only cashed in 4 out of 15. Even if you play great, losing 3 in a row is VERY possible due to variance.

RickH2005

RickH2005

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In an effort to build my BR fairly quickly and steadily I am going to try the following:

Play 100 double or nothing SNG at the $10 level - record my progress here in this thread. I figure that if I can maintain a win rate of 65%, that would give me a profit of $260. I will multi table no more than three at a time.

Hopefully this does two things. One, increase my bankroll. Two, increase my focus as I know I will have to report my progress for all the world to see.

Starting BR = $40
With a $40 BR why not try this in the $5 games?? It would give you a bit more of a chance if the cards DO go south:confused:

dufferdevon

dufferdevon

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I appreciate the concern for my BR everyone. Up to this point I had been winning up to 80% of these that I entered. So I felt pretty confident that this would be easy.

Boy was i wrong. For some reason, everyone was still around when the blinds got to 100 / 200 in two of the games - and it just became an all in luck fest. My JJ got busted by 44 when a 4 came on the flop and in the other my 99 was taken out by KK. the third game was just horrible play on my part.

So now I have $5 in my account and will have to see what we can do to increase it. I really don't want to make another deposit so hopefully the poker gods smile on me this week.

I will restart this challenge when I am up to $100 in my BR. For all the newbies, there really is no better advice than to follow a proper Bankroll Management system, hopefully I have finally learned this lesson.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

seriously? in the long run maybe 60-65% ITM is sustainable at low limits, and three buyin downswings will happen a lot given that.

G

gnomo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
how are you guys playing this double or nothing sng? i played 5 at pokerstars and cashed in 3, and i didn't find a good strategy for playing it yet.

so how are you playing it?

belladonna05

belladonna05

belladonkin'
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I asked this at one of them...what if everyone goes all in first hand...1 winner and 9 losers, who picks the 5 then?

P

paumarhas

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it's not like your the only one, everyone and one point or another goes beyound the percentage of thier BR, and loses.
you should always keep in mind the percentages, 10% BR investment. if you keep a limit as this, you won't lose it all at once.
and you'll have some reserve to use to try and recoup your losses.
i don't know your circumstances. but if you want to limit your deposits or if now you have to wait till you win $$$$, your in a sore situation.
sorry it didn't work in you favor - it would of been nice to here of $$$$$ victory!!!!! :eek: :D

jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I appreciate the concern for my BR everyone. Up to this point I had been winning up to 80% of these that I entered. So I felt pretty confident that this would be easy.

Boy was i wrong. For some reason, everyone was still around when the blinds got to 100 / 200 in two of the games - and it just became an all in luck fest. My JJ got busted by 44 when a 4 came on the flop and in the other my 99 was taken out by KK. the third game was just horrible play on my part.

So now I have $5 in my account and will have to see what we can do to increase it. I really don't want to make another deposit so hopefully the poker gods smile on me this week.

I will restart this challenge when I am up to $100 in my BR. For all the newbies, there really is no better advice than to follow a proper Bankroll Management system, hopefully I have finally learned this lesson.

lol @ thinking you could do it with $40 :eek: :p
POSTER BOY FOR BANKROLL MANAGEMENT :D :D

I asked this at one of them...what if everyone goes all in first hand...1 winner and 9 losers, who picks the 5 then?

I didn't know you were blond BD :p
what choice would they have but to split the remaining prize pool with all the losers ?

dweezel

dweezel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been playing the 5 dollar ones.
Thur my bankroll went from 69 to about 115 bucks
Fri I lost 3x in a row and and quickly stopped playing them,
Today I will try again and if I lose 3 in a row,I'll stop again.
If I win I'll keep going till lose 3 in a row again.
see what happens.

J

JOHN-E-FLUSH

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
play them uber tight...1 or 2 good hands and a nice pot is all you need...when the blinds go up . the fish will scare and are easy pickens
get a lead and let them do all the work

Dwilius

Dwilius

CardsChat Regular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
seriously? in the long run maybe 60-65% ITM is sustainable at low limits, and three buyin downswings will happen a lot given that.

I had played a few dozen and it looked like something like 75% was sustainable at lowest limits (it was really terrible), but people have adjusted (some with a clue are multitabling) and now they're just annoying.
I meant it would be unlikely to lose an original 3 buyins right away, and once you're up, large enough downswings to break you would be unlikely. Of course you're right three buyins at any time would happen quite easily, especially since the winrate really is going to be closer to 60% than 75%.

Last edited:
jdeliverer

jdeliverer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

If there is ever a tie at the bubble, the remaining prize money is split among those that went out at the same time.

Thus, the person who won would get 10 dollars, and everyone else splits the remaining 40$, each getting $4.44 or $4.45.

Of course, the person who went all in last is completely stupid, as he/she could nearly guarantee a win by not playing the hand.

FatBasset

FatBasset

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some of you are extrapolating a 60% win rate. I haven't crunched any numbers but a 10% margin doesn't seem to be enough to overcome the rake to have a worthwhile net profit.

diamond_06_06

diamond_06_06

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With a 60% win rate you will win $6 for every $10 SNG you play. Minus the $1 rake and you ave a 50% ROI. This is very, very good imo.

diamond_06_06

diamond_06_06

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Um yeah... kind of ignore my above post. Sorry just a drunk post without thinking it through.

Dwilius

Dwilius

CardsChat Regular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sorry just a drunk post without thinking it through.

I've had my share of those :D. Yeah I thought it was going to be an easy way to have a 30%+ ROI, but it would be a pretty mind numbing way to earn 10%+