Donk Poll - Rate your top 5!

alaskabill

alaskabill

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Overall, I would vote Russians. However, the single biggest fish I ever played on stars was from brazil. I can't remember his screen name but he had spiderman as his avatar. Even for micros he was bad.

One session I stacked him 3 times. When he finally quit he typed something in chat. I don't speak portugese but I don't think that he was wishing for my continued good health.

I don't necessarily think that Americans were the biggest fish, we just have the most. Volume over quality. :)

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just for the record:

Germany isn't Eastern European but Central European just as the US are not North Mexico (at least most of it save New Mexico).

Btw... the whole idea of certain tendencies of players from certain countries is BS imo.
^^^^^^^this

LombardiStix

LombardiStix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The people of Robinson, North Dakota are the absolute worst. :icon_chee

pcgnome

pcgnome

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I thought that any list of former Soviet Satellite countries had to include East Germany. I must be showing my age. :confused:

taaron

taaron

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bad players are everywhere. why alienate people based upon country of origin?

pcgnome

pcgnome

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It could be that some people have better sources of information than others I guess.

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I meant the former Soviet Satellite Countries. Such as Poland, Romania, Bulgaria, Czechoslovakia,Austria,and East Germany.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Bloc
So I must be suggesting that Western Germans are better than Eastern Germans.

Not wanting to bum-hunt you but I doubt Austria ever was part of the Soviet satellites.

Also how do you distinguish Easten and Western Germans ?

Germany re-unified 1990 btw.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I'd suggest that members saying 'Russians' are playing freerolls (or micro cash) because in micro & low buyin SNG ($5-$10), Russians are usually the better (best) players on the tables (lots of them are regs. who are doing well online... ie. Topshark rating typically K** or better).

Without a doubt 'Spain' is at the top of the list!!! mexico, portugal next in line... followed by Italy & netherlands.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's not BS.

Let's say you are at the wsop ME and there is a 21-year-old kid from sweden with a hoodie on your right and a 60-year-old from California on your left. Do you think their preflop 3-bet ranges are anything remotely similar?

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd suggest that members saying 'Russians' are playing freerolls (or micro cash) because in micro & low buyin SNG ($5-$10), Russians are usually the better (best) players on the tables (lots of them are regs. who are doing well online... ie. Topshark rating typically K** or better).

I have a lot of experience playing with Russians (either born in Russia or first-generation, all of them speak Russian and/or have accents) in live games (NLHE, tournaments and PLO) and I think they're mostly pretty awful.

LombardiStix

LombardiStix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's not BS.

Let's say you are at the WSOP ME and there is a 21-year-old kid from Sweden with a hoodie on your right and a 60-year-old from California on your left. Do you think their preflop 3-bet ranges are anything remotely similar?

1) You stated two completely different ages which there are tendencies in "new school" "old school" which would effect the results if we were trying to isolate the place of birth variable in their play.

2) Referencing their 3-bet ranges doesn't peg a "donk" there are successful players with different styles all through the poker world.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll put up a 21-year-old from Sweden as more aggressive than a 21-year-old from California as well, has nothing to do with donkness.

momasaidnokuout

momasaidnokuout

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not even close. The old guys range is 10s + and AK, and the young guy probably has the range of 2/3 up to AA.

pcgnome

pcgnome

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not wanting to bum-hunt you but I doubt Austria ever was part of the Soviet satellites.

Also how do you distinguish Easten and Western Germans ?

Germany re-unified 1990 btw.
Yep, your right. Austria was never part of the Eastern Bloc. And I baited you into this discussion 'cuz I figuired that you were still ticked off that I cracked your aces last night:p
For the record I donked all of my chips to DMorris with a KQo UTG against his AA in the BB. My fault for not paying attention.:tomato:

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yep, your right. Austria was never part of the Eastern Bloc. And I baited you into this discussion 'cuz I figuired that you were still ticked off that I cracked your aces last night:p
For the record I donked all of my chips to DMorris with a KQo UTG against his AA in the BB. My fault for not paying attention.:tomato:

Nah no hard feelings - better go out early than to bubble at 3am with a shitload of work to do from 8am to 6pm.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Bad players are everywhere. why alienate people based upon country of origin?
Umm.. because it's 'fact'. If you play 'ALOT' of hands (or tourneys.. or sng's.. or whatever), you'll definitely see some patterns.
Let's say you are at the WSOP ME and there is a 21-year-old kid from Sweden with a hoodie on your right and a 60-year-old from California on your left. Do you think their preflop 3-bet ranges are anything remotely similar?
also, this ^ (an extreme example perhaps.. but maybe necessary for this thread)

O

only_bridge

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Biggest fish I have ever played with were from Sweden. But there are big fish everywhere.

momasaidnokuout

momasaidnokuout

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, when someone knocks you out with a terrible horrendous call, the majority of the time they are from the countries that I listed.

O

only_bridge

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, when someone knocks you out with a terrible horrendous call, the majority of the time they are from the countries that I listed.
You mean:
1. Europe
2. America
3. Asia
4. Africa
5. Rest of the world

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PS I have never played with Eugene Katchalov, lol.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I have a lot of experience playing with Russians (either born in Russia or first-generation, all of them speak Russian and/or have accents) in live games (NLHE, tournaments and PLO) and I think they're mostly pretty awful.
No doubt a HUGE demographic difference here though.... there are older Russian donks in the area I live in (Interior of BC.. alot of Russian immigrants from yrs. ago) & comparing their play here in live games vs. 'probably' young guys on the internet who are on Moscowpoker forum, or gypsypoker.. big difference.
I have pokerprolabs software running on all tables at all times... so I see a list of all playing stats. for all players. Generally speaking, the Russians in low buyins are typically your 'regs' who are doing well. (this was mostly on FTP)

I could go randomly screenshot 10 tables of sng's or ITM in MTT if you want.

E

eazy489

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think in general, US players are stronger than European players. Poker has exploded especially in the US in the last 10 years, and therefore the game has gotten much tougher. There are many good players overseas as well, but in general US players are the strongest imo

B

BluffYou123

Back in the Game
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1) Brazil
2) Germany
3) Russia
4) Spain
5) Netherlands (Holland)

alaskabill

alaskabill

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It could be that some people have better sources of information than others I guess.

I think that this is a huge factor. How many training sites are in non-English languages? How many editions of, for example, Theory of Poker are printed in Polish or Russian?

I realize that many people are mult-lingual but having most of the cutting edge theory and teaching being presented in English is certainly an advantage for native speakers.