Does what you eat affect how you play?

soccerrunner8098

soccerrunner8098

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's a matter of different foods helping/hurting from you making certain decisions. Proteins or carbs could change your brain chemistry to a point where you might make different decisions based on what foods you ate prior to the decision making

I

IPokeredYourWife

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow. That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard all day! Eating healthy and having a healthy lifestyle helps you focus better and maybe be a little bit smarter but I don't think it directly affects the way you play.

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow. That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard all day! Eating healthy and having a healthy lifestyle helps you focus better and maybe be a little bit smarter but I don't think it directly affects the way you play.
Ridiculous? Why? Because you haven't read the facts about it? I haven't read anything about jet propulsion. Does that mean it's ridiculous also?

This entire thread is so full of LOLZ. It's amazing.

Please. If anyone has any specific reliable links or sources to refute the widely-studied facts about how proper nutrition affects brain function, please post them here. Otherwise, you make yourselves look really bad contradicting proven biological research.

And since I've said that, I guess I'll have to post links about the proven facts for all the Doubting Thomases here to see. OK. Coming soon.

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This one's good, but vague at the end. It basically says correct doses of sugar and carbs are important, which means you CAN overdose:
http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200310/what-is-good-brain-food

I like this one because it simply says too much carbs slows your metabolism and too much sugar speeds up your fat-producing hormones:
http://www.livescience.com/health/090107-brain-food.html

Here's the Wiki on Insulin and I love it because Insulin has the most immediate impact on your brain as you eat. The info is a bit technical, but it basically says:
Sugar intake affects Insulin levels since Insulin is what takes care of sugar in our blood stream. A "sugar rush" is actually an Insulin spike. Too much Insulin will sweep away all the sugar and you will "crash" soon after. Insulin is more controlled when sugar intake is spread over more time in smaller doses. Also, uncontrolled Insulin surges over time can cause Diabetes and Alzheimers Disease:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insulin_delivery#Modes_of_administration

I could post more, put I think there's enough there to convert the non-believers. ...Unless someone has some cultish distrust of the mainstream medical community. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I duuno. Last night I ate honey, and played sweet. Tonight I ate crap and played like shit...........

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is she trying to claim in some sick way that poker is a sport? Yes carbs,fats effect ones person who is doing physical stuff. I doubt very much it has an impact as such. Obviously a good diet is good for many things, making a decision in poker really isn't effected if you ate a burger as opposed to a salad sandwich.

"To go all-in preflop with aces is the question, I really don't know if I should call here, I do wish I ate some rabbit food prior to getting this hand, sod it! I'm folding."

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Obviously a good diet is good for many things, making a decision in poker really isn't effected if you ate a burger as opposed to a salad sandwich.
Her article talks about too many carbs and there aren't too many carbs in a burger.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Her article talks about too many carbs and there aren't too many carbs in a burger.

Ok then, as opposed to eating a bowl of spaghetti or potatoes. Same difference, this wouldn't effect my decision. I can't see how she came to this theory in the slightest, unless something cripples you and makes your thinking decisions different.

Obviously I can see how alcohol has an effect as this is a mind alternating substance. Carbohydrates aren't lol.

TheUndesirable

TheUndesirable

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Could be true, I mean Daniel Negreanu is pretty slim, I'm guessing on a low card diet, then there's Alan Meltzer.....................Who is the better player???

Nah, only kidding. This is A* BS IMO.

N

Neoblast

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I do have a different opinion there then, if you eat heavy meals all the blood strain tends to gather up around the stomach and then you get sleepy thus not being able to focus properly, also bad eating habits will lead into something similar.

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok then, as opposed to eating a bowl of spaghetti or potatoes. Same difference, this wouldn't effect my decision. I can't see how she came to this theory in the slightest, unless something cripples you and makes your thinking decisions different.

Obviously I can see how alcohol has an effect as this is a mind alternating substance. Carbohydrates aren't lol.
If you "can't see", then try some research before you spew contradictions of proven medical science.
This one's good, but vague at the end. It basically says correct doses of sugar and carbs are important, which means you CAN overdose:
http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200310/what-is-good-brain-food

I like this one because it simply says too much carbs slows your metabolism and too much sugar speeds up your fat-producing hormones:
http://www.livescience.com/health/090107-brain-food.html

Here's the Wiki on Insulin and I love it because Insulin has the most immediate impact on your brain as you eat. The info is a bit technical, but it basically says:
Sugar intake affects Insulin levels since Insulin is what takes care of sugar in our blood stream. A "sugar rush" is actually an Insulin spike. Too much Insulin will sweep away all the sugar and you will "crash" soon after. Insulin is more controlled when sugar intake is spread over more time in smaller doses. Also, uncontrolled Insulin surges over time can cause Diabetes and Alzheimers Disease:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insulin_delivery#Modes_of_administration

I could post more, put I think there's enough there to convert the non-believers. ...Unless someone has some cultish distrust of the mainstream medical community. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
You know, I really don't care if specific posters here want to shun the facts and form opinions based on incorrect assumptions. What I care about is what people who read this but dont post in this thread may get from it. The "I've never heard of this, so it must be BS" folks here not only cheat themselves, but cheat other readers who may believe their unfounded doubts.

PLEASE! Google is your friend, folks! Anyone who is unsure of ANY subject should find a few links and read some trusted sources to educate themselves before making up their mind about important topics like this.

I gotta duck out of this thread now. I really can't handle the closed-minded tone it has taken. Cheers all.

C

Chemist

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually from personal experience,
and this just relates to me doesn't make it a general theory.

My results are better when I have no food.

In live events I could be doing really well, but come back after the dinner break and really lose chips.

Same thing happens when I eat at keyboard (obviously a bit of a distraction and sticky fingers don't help).

But in general I feel that no food makes me more hungry for the win.

Everyone has their own thing that works best for them, and much of it is probably also pyschological and not just physical.

K

Kazooky

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I can just imagine people using what they ate as an excuse for their shit luck or bad play lol