Does what you eat affect how you play?

S

Simon Burley

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just read an article in which Vanessa Rousso claims you can't be a good player if you eat too many carbs...or don't get enough protein

This struck me as total sh*t. It's a game of cards. And besides, she looks like a horse in need of a good carrot...so what does she know?

But are there certain foods that help your brain (eg, Omega 3 rich salmon) which might sharpen up your play, especially during long tournaments? Or is it all ****?

:eek:

Elie_Yammine

Elie_Yammine

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Big BS! you're either smart or you're not...food isn't going to change that but good training and reading might. I'd suggest people try that before resorting to black magic

S

Simon Burley

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah. A session on the loo with Super System is probably more productive than a muesli bar.

But it did get me thinking. If you start from the premise that alcohol damages your play (and I think we all accept that) and that certain foodstuffs aid brainpower - and the quacks say they do - then maybe certain foods can help.

It's all about brain chemicals, I guess. Anything than can keep you alert and concentrating during a long tourney must help.

Not that I agree with Vanessa Rousso though (or her weird monotone husband). There's healthy eating...and then there's scary, freaky people eating!

P

Pokerdude420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Obviously some foods are better for you then others. A person eating pizza, french fries and soda all day wont have the energy of a person who eats veggies, fruits, and gets the daily amount of vitamins you need.

dwolfg

dwolfg

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Energy, alertness, and focus can aid a poker player immensely. We all know there are certain foods help with these things and others hurt with them. Unfortunately the things that hurt usually taste better than the things that help.

forsakenone

forsakenone

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
doesn't look like what i eat has any impact, what i drink matters more :eek:

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Common sense diet can't hurt but no matter what Vanessa eats, she is gonna get her butt kicked by Phil Ivey.

THe Slob

THe Slob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find that if I eat a bad of sliders for breakfast, I have a hard time concentrating on poker; what with all the trips to the bathroom and all.

D

davem86

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find that if I eat a bad of sliders for breakfast, I have a hard time concentrating on poker; what with all the trips to the bathroom and all.

aha nyuk nyuk nyuk:D

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just read an article in which Vanessa Rousso claims you can't be a good player if you eat too many carbs...or don't get enough protein

This struck me as total sh*t. It's a game of cards. And besides, she looks like a horse in need of a good carrot...so what does she know?

But are there certain foods that help your brain (eg, Omega 3 rich salmon) which might sharpen up your play, especially during long tournaments? Or is it all ****?

:eek:

Big BS! you're either smart or you're not...food isn't going to change that but good training and reading might. I'd suggest people try that before resorting to black magic

Yeah. A session on the loo with Super System is probably more productive than a muesli bar.

But it did get me thinking. If you start from the premise that alcohol damages your play (and I think we all accept that) and that certain foodstuffs aid brainpower - and the quacks say they do - then maybe certain foods can help.

It's all about brain chemicals, I guess. Anything than can keep you alert and concentrating during a long tourney must help.

Not that I agree with Vanessa Rousso though (or her weird monotone husband). There's healthy eating...and then there's scary, freaky people eating!
As someone who recently started getting into a more healthy lifestyle, all I have to say is "Don't knock it 'til you try it." While eating healthier, increasing my metabolism by working out 6 days a week, and losing nearly 30 lbs over the last year, I can honestly say that my mental function in poker is much improved now.

I've cut out all sodas, cut down on my fat intake, and cut out most sugars and starches while increasing my protein and fiber intake. I've gone from a flabby, slow motion slug who could only play about 8-9 tables at a time to a fit, sharp whip who can 12-table with ease. I can concentrate better and can manage my tilt issues better.

Now I will grant you that people who are already somewhat fit now won't see such a drastic improvement in mental function after a change in diet. But there will still be a noticable change. It's a fact of human biology and every bit of improvement can help.

I suggest people who are skeptical about the benefits of healthy eating do some research. Google is your friend and there are plenty of sites that explain the medically proven facts about proper diet relating to mental function. It's all actually quite interesting.

For example: I've learned in my internet and book reading that too many carbs (even starches and fruits) can create an insulin spike that can throw off your brain functioning. Also, protein feeds your brain. Simply put: Carbs may be the "gas" that powers your brain, but protein is the "oil" that keeps it running smoothly. Another interesting fact is that your brain actually needs some fats to keep hormones balanced, but not a lot and not the saturated kind (that's why some vegans can have hormone problems; not enough fats).

However, Caffeine and Alcohol are complicated ones that actually have sketchy pros & cons going for them. They are both drugs that have more extreme effects, both good and bad, depending on the amounts and the person.

Anyway. It's always best to learn more about something before forming a worthwhile opinion. Applies to most things in life. Cheers.

Last edited:
M

Madness_does

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I can say I love to drink beer when I play, get a bit more relaxed. But I like what the other poster said, your either smart or not. A good nights sleep is what I recommend if your going to pull an 8 hour poker game.

But I can say this, like my bro said one time, it dont matter how good you feel, how good you think you are at poker, bottom line is you could be the best poker player in the world BUT if you are not getting the cards, your screwed.

The Dark Side

The Dark Side

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How could you possibly think she's wrong?
Of course she's right.

Its common sense really. Processsed foods and sugars will make you crash and youll be sluggish, which in turn, will have you busted out early.

And she's not the only person to say this.

ps. (sorry) but I have to say... You saying she looks like a horse makes me think your just mad you couldnt get a girl that looks remotely close to as good as she looks.

D

doitagainchip

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think food does make a difference.quite a significant one at that. for instance how many times have you been hungry at a table or a game and thought about food and only food! and consider that same situation where you buddy brings you in A. a huge kfc bargain bucket B. a healthy sandwhich and a glass of fruit juice C. a beer
i think eating something greasy and not very nutritious is going to make you feel like crap and off your A game. the beer will lead you into a false sense of security! so given these choices id prefer the better food to help me feel at ease in the game :)

ckickenking

ckickenking

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everyone know having breakfast is an important factor in everyday life. I read it is the most important meal of the day. It help you think better through the day and and think clearer. It the energy for the day. I can't really say it will improve your poker game , but I can say it will make you feel good about yourself and your health.

The Dark Side

The Dark Side

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everyone know having breakfast is an important factor in everyday life. I read it is the most important meal of the day. It help you think better through the day and and think clearer. It the energy for the day. I can't really say it will improve your poker game , but I can say it will make you feel good about yourself and your health.

LOL Havent you known that your whole life from cereal commercials?

Ice Wolf

Ice Wolf

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Um if I do anything on an empty stomach I dont do as well so I guess you could say that would affect how I play but what I eat for each session I play, I dont think that that changes a thing. Maybe if I ate some smarties I might do a bit better, maybe I'll try that next time.

rjeezy20146

rjeezy20146

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bs all this stuff about what u eat affects the way u play.You are either going to catch some good cards or just its not going to be your day and lose.

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bs all this stuff about what u eat affects the way u play.You are either going to catch some good cards or just its not going to be your day and lose.
Right. Poker is all luck and proven medical science is a crock. (facepalm) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Elie_Yammine

Elie_Yammine

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
somehwere along the line, this thread became interesting...But it's still as funny as hell :D!

LennyPigeon

LennyPigeon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hope not as a student diet is far from optimal!

I'd say diet only has an indirect affect on the way you play..

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think stick said it well below. But I will be gracious and clue you in that your cards may not even matter in a majority of the hands you play. If you dont believe that, please let me know what name you play under and on which sites.

Right. Poker is all luck and proven medical science is a crock. (facepalm) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

somehwere along the line, this thread became interesting...But it's still as funny as hell :D!

yep;)

B

baghead

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a good diet and plenty of exercise will help you maintain focus so of coarse you will play better. i also find that exercise helps with tilt. when i notice myself tilting i stop and either go for a run or go punch ten barrels of poop out of the punch bag and when i come back im totally reset and ready to play again

Shufflin

Shufflin

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"A hungry dog hunts best." Not sure who said it, but I remember it from an article by Huck Seed about fasting during tournaments.

Elie_Yammine

Elie_Yammine

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh yeah?
Well, "You can't philosophize on an empty stomach" - Socrates!
Obviously, since i like philosophy and eating, I'll stick to Socrates rather than being like a dog who wants to hunt :p