Does anyone else hate low pockets as much as me?

Skags22

Skags22

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate low pockets, it seems everytime I play them it results in a loss. Your only chance is catching another low card for a set. I would rather have 72 off then a pocket pair below 8.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate low pockets, it seems everytime I play them it results in a loss. Your only chance is catching another low card for a set. I would rather have 72 off then a pocket pair below 8.

That's really how you have to play most low pockets. Low pockets against over cards is only about 50-50 and unless you set they'll win when they hit, and fold and let you have it when they miss most of the time. So if you're playing low pocket pairs when you don't flop a set, of course you're going to lose money.

SeanyJ

SeanyJ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love them, especially in cash games. They are so easy to play, if you don't hit your set you fold but if you hit your set you usually stack the guy. In tournaments I don't usually set mine as much but they are still really easy to play, I don't know why you would lose so much with them.

Chiefer

Chiefer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
actually dueces have been quite profitable for me. it seems that i catch my set with them more than the others. i'd have to check, my memory could be bias.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love them, especially in cash games. They are so easy to play, if you don't hit your set you fold but if you hit your set you usually stack the guy. In tournaments I don't usually set mine as much but they are still really easy to play, I don't know why you would lose so much with them.

Well it sounds like the OP doesn't know when to give up when overcards hit. You don't want to be getting in a lot of your stack if there is even one overcard to your pocket pair.

F

freepoker1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
low pokets

I will usually get lucky with low pockets. but nothing lower than 4s

Monoxide

Monoxide

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
only 3's and 2's for you huh? ...lol

CubKiller

CubKiller

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
love them in cash games rather be dealt a low pocket than AK.

set mine and when you hit it always pays off.

J

JKelso

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like how easy they are to play. Good cards to see the flop(as long as you don't risk to many chips to see the flop) if you hit a set your very stong over the ones who hit top pair. Big money maker, but watch the board for str8/flush draw that will kill you set.

T

tazwander

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on your position and if anyone is playing strong or limping in. A no brainer if you are short on chips, but if you have plenty and the flop is cheap...have a go.... if you see a mix n match you might just have best hand.... Otherwise get out quick....lol

T

tazwander

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
only 3's and 2's for you huh? ...lol
Addicted to anthing isnt too bad aslong as you remember to stick your heads up every now and then to smell the roses. Dont forget wife's anniversary/birthday either ....lol:joyman:

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

exactly, I have read a poker book stating that low pocket pairs are easy to play, mainly because if you dont hit you wont lose money like you would with AK(trying to bluff) or JJ with an over pair out there!

ABorges

ABorges

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They're probably my favorite type of hand, either I hit a set on flop or get out as soon as I can. And it pays so well when some guy gets top pair with KTo and decides it's good enough to go all in for 100 BBs... Definitely the easiest hands to play are low pockets, learn how to play them and watch your bankroll grow.

riffpoker

riffpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Getting in cheap with low pockets is my favorite hand..

M

me141

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think they're pretty easy to play and it's pretty hard to get into trouble with them lol , gl

SAH89

SAH89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anything under JJ, limp in early, or raise strong in late position otherwise just fold, if you get lucky...great, if you fold and woud've hit big...bad luck, just play it safe.

Skags22

Skags22

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for the helpful strategy everybody, accually while I was reading these I caught pocket 3's in a sit and go and decided to play till the flop. I caught a set and doubled up :)

LeanAndMean

LeanAndMean

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like them, only play when I can get in cheap and fold if one doesn't come on the flop

Wolfpack43ACC

Wolfpack43ACC

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anything under JJ, limp in early, or raise strong in late position otherwise just fold, if you get lucky...great, if you fold and woud've hit big...bad luck, just play it safe.

You want me to limp in with 1010? Seriously? I'll even raise in the right position preflop with 88, sometimes even lower. How you play lower pocket pairs all depends on the read you have gathered from your opponents.

My philosophy in regards to low pocket pairs is to play off of the player and the flop. Doesn't really matter what you have. Even if you don't flop a set you still have to read the board, the information given to you by your opponent.

Nothing annoys me more than someone being timid with a lower pocket pair post flop, just because they didn't hit their set.

B

billybob16

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for the helpful strategy everybody, accually while I was reading these I caught pocket 3's in a sit and go and decided to play till the flop. I caught a set and doubled up :)

I think plays like that are why you hate them so much

SAH89

SAH89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You want me to limp in with 1010? Seriously? I'll even raise in the right position preflop with 88, sometimes even lower. How you play lower pocket pairs all depends on the read you have gathered from your opponents.

My philosophy in regards to low pocket pairs is to play off of the player and the flop. Doesn't really matter what you have. Even if you don't flop a set you still have to read the board, the information given to you by your opponent.

Nothing annoys me more than someone being timid with a lower pocket pair post flop, just because they didn't hit their set.

I'm more of a tight player than you, depends on position, but I've had too much trouble with raising with JJ and under, just because they're close to big cards doesn't mean they are big cards.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm a tight player (VP$IP under 16%) but I'll raise any pp from just about any position (even 22 UTG) if the table has been reraising infrequently. I think the EP limp or limp/call screams pp and can make it harder to get your opponents stack in the middle when we do hit our set.

Wolfpack43ACC

Wolfpack43ACC

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm a tight player (VP$IP under 16%) but I'll raise any pp from just about any position (even 22 UTG) if the table has been reraising infrequently. I think the EP limp or limp/call screams pp and can make it harder to get your opponents stack in the middle when we do hit our set.

Thats another good point. A decent player can sniff out that sort of play.

P

Pokertron3000

Available for parties
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
actually dueces have been quite profitable for me. it seems that i catch my set with them more than the others. i'd have to check, my memory could be bias.

Same here the 22s seem to work their magic more often than not but I have no tracking software to back this up.