Do you usually make decisions with positive expectation or not?

LenilsonF7

LenilsonF7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
EV - expected value, meaning Value
Expectation, ie, is the foundation for much of the non-psychological strategies mum poker game.

Have you ever stopped to think about how you play your hands?

Dejange

Dejange

CC Delija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
always coursing my hand in positive way! If I find it risky, I just fold :)

S

StatusOmega525

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are times I may not expect a positive outcome, but one of my goals is to be more increasingly positive about how I play the hand itself. If I made the right calls, in the long run I think that matters more than the pot.

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I try to play my hands carefully. And I hope that my choice is right. But reality doesn't match expectations sometimes :)

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think i always try to have a posetive outlook about my hands when i have a tough decision - but in the end - unless i have a deadset read on my opponent - if the numbers tell me i should be calling, then im putting in the money regaurdless of how i feel. In the long term, i feel its the profitable play. Caught alot of people bluffing or just giving up and sticking it in with 3rd pair or worse on the river this way.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually make decisions with positive expectation in the game and sometimes I need to fold good pairs so that I do not lose a lot of chips or money in the cash game, most of this is the right decision for me!

Brandlad

Brandlad

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If it is a ST game then my main goal is to get the plenty of chips any how. But for a normal game positive value is always a top priority.

K

kceow2981

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always find that if I don't actively try, then I start trying to think of exactly what is my opponent holding right now? And what I SHOULD be thinking are what are all of the hands my opponent could be holding right now, and then play my hand against that range of hands. It causes me to make better more thought out decisions, instead of emotionally based ones. It helps me avoid mistakes

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think yes !!! when making a decision I hope it's correct !!! even when making a decision I know that my chances are 50/50 or lower I still think that I did the right thing since sometimes poker has to take risks, for example if you have few chips or it's a game with rewards for knocking out !!!

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Well I think positive, this is part of my philisophy, so I do the same in the game!

Y

Yoda_Priest_X_Napo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, that is the fundamental for a winning poker strategy, but do not forget that EV is tied to what villain does, if villain is snap calling a flop overbet shove with his whole range, shoving TT into Q55 will have a positive EV. So when you use the psychological factors you should be using them because you suspect there is EV in certain decisions

C

CryptoBlood

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am more confident now because I play better then before.Now I play only on safe cards,sometimes when I play turbo I just risk on good hands and if I am lucky I win but most times I am lucky :)

AlexStar1981

AlexStar1981

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I often notice during the game that I stop counting, getting carried away by passion and hoping for bluff. And it often plays against me. And all greed )))

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
Of course, I always expect a positive combination for me.
Otherwise, I did not have to play poker.
Good luck.

P

pokersextreme

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends what type of players I'm up against! If it's against donks i usually expect the worst and hope for the best because they usually get really lucky!

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It can not always come that card which is needed. Therefore, decisions have to be made on the basis of many variables. Reality is primarily a matter of desire.

rodrigo1972

rodrigo1972

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
always in positive way or Ijust prefer fold the hand

masik6

masik6

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always try to make the right decision in the game, but sometimes I just get tired and can't concentrate properly.

K

KidKNG

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually analyze the table players to get into situations that put my stack at risk, after creating a profile of each player at the table, I begin to evaluate my speculative hands according to the players who are active in the hand , I choose to go on a hand or not.
Hope this helps.

acidburnfx

acidburnfx

Senior apprentice
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Your question is a moral dilemma, if that's it, then it's not that. Well, the algorithm of life is who decides, you just think that you make the decision. I hope to have helped!

Dejange

Dejange

CC Delija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
I usually analyze the table players to get into situations that put my stack at risk, after creating a profile of each player at the table, I begin to evaluate my speculative hands according to the players who are active in the hand , I choose to go on a hand or not.
Hope this helps.

That is the right approach mates! Very, very good advice! I am trying to follow it and already see a progress in my results :top:

DougPkrMonsta

DougPkrMonsta

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's the goal and understanding the math behind your play is very important.

Unfortunately poker doesn't happen in a vacuum - all your opponents are trying to make good decisions too (even if many are failing).

Knowing who is playing aggressively, who is sitting back waiting for big hands, etc... will help you make profitable decisions.

Good luck!

sinatruces

sinatruces

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its hard to think postivly. but i try to do that