Do you think you are better at poker than you are?

Jdawglet

Jdawglet

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
If you are like me you know that along with all the skill in the game…there is a little luck involved in poker. The objective of the game is to reduce the impact that the luck (good or bad) of 1 hand does not determine your final outcome. However…are you able to recognize that you have been outplayed by someone and that is was luck that won you the tournament? Or do you believe that because you won the tournament, you outplayed everyone?

When you shove your 78 suited trying to steal the blinds…get called and hit a straight to win…do you think…that guy shouldn’t have called so it was a bad call on his part…or…you got lucky?

I only ask, because tonight I was unlucky and I was outplaying my opponent…they seemed to think I made a bad read when I called his KQ with my AJ and he hit his K to knock me out…

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
My confidence, such as it is & is based on my assessment of my decision making. I play regularly with a number of folks whose skill I respect, but to ask for or encourage advice on my play during a game isn't going to happen.

Skot_Gy

Skot_Gy

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Variance is big in tournaments. That's why, as you said, it is important not to put all your chips on single hands, cause you can get knocked out even if you have advantage preflop.

gustavofuentes2

gustavofuentes2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are like me you know that along with all the skill in the game…there is a little luck involved in poker. The objective of the game is to reduce the impact that the luck (good or bad) of 1 hand does not determine your final outcome. However…are you able to recognize that you have been outplayed by someone and that is was luck that won you the tournament? Or do you believe that because you won the tournament, you outplayed everyone?

When you shove your 78 suited trying to steal the blinds…get called and hit a straight to win…do you think…that guy shouldn’t have called so it was a bad call on his part…or…you got lucky?

I only ask, because tonight I was unlucky and I was outplaying my opponent…they seemed to think I made a bad read when I called his KQ with my AJ and he hit his K to knock me out…
In order to win any tournament you need both. Tournaments that I have won i got hit with 3 lucky wins. So I don't play for luck just play with my skill but there is no question about it, you can't win a tournament without some kind of luck.

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everything is within reason on your part, especially if the opponent was in the position of HJ +, and you are on the Baton +.

A

alabos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Depend always of the days and how i feel.......

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Very often, players ask themselves a similar question: "I won $5,000 in the last 100 hours, does that mean I'm playing better?" Unfortunately, most people continue to focus on the short term when answering this question. If you've consistently won over longer distances, say 1,000 hours, then that's more evidence that you're a winning player in the long run, but that's still not the best measure of your progress. When you start to find clear and concise explanations for certain bet sizes, you will realize that you are growing as a poker player. This is especially true if you have completely conquered fear in the decision-making process. Most amateur players will determine the size of the bets, guided by the fear of losing a lot of money. This is an extremely weak strategy, but it is also very popular.

heguli82

heguli82

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
You can work your game and grow as a poker player only to that certain point, that you are good enough to regonize this 78 suited shovespot. Rest is luck. There is so much luck involved in poker that it is very easy to think you are good player. There is still professionals thinking that they are "good" at poker. But "good" player can end up losing his whole life and that other player who always wins crucial/most potentials 40/60 flips against him can end up winning.

F

Fushicho

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think I'm any good. Probably average, assuming 50% of players win money over time and 50% lose money long term playing poker, then I am just above average. Over the long term I make a small amount of profit.

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
When it comes to poker then i am worse at being bad so yeah :)

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips

I think you did everything right that you called with an ace and a jack in his hand, he was just lucky

W

whitetailbuck10

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Very interesting question and answers. I absolutely know when I got lucky and beat someone that I shouldn't have beat. I also know when I get beat by a better (or worse) player and luck is a HUGE part of my game for sure. But the "luck" is less and less with the more I learn about the game and my opponents.

I will give you a perfect example of knowing when you have beat much better players. On last nights US and Friends daily game I was 35/37 and was basically out. At this point I deserved to finish around 30th place but I got some decent cards, caught a couple of breaks and got back in the game and managed to make final table. I probably deserved to finish 7-8th at this point but again I got lucky and managed to finish in the money at 4th when a few others got knocked out and I got a couple more breaks. I KNOW I didn't "deserve" to be in the money and managed to beat out some people that were playing WAY better than me........

But like I have seen people say so many times....... "A chip and a chance......"

Thanks for the post and the answers above. It really got me thinking about your question!!!

ikescherer

ikescherer

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

The mistake is to think that u were outplaying ur opponent, maybe u were not, have u seem his cards? Thats just ur ego making u think u were outplaying him.

N

n0n4m3

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that it is obviously wrong to think who is better and who is worse. It's like dividing people into bad and good, everyone has almost equal chances.

sincos

sincos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know that success in poker depends 70-80 percent on ability, 20-30 percent on luck.

dongato2

dongato2

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course yes, if it wasn't the case then I wouldn't have a reason to play

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
So I understand a person's self-irony, but as a player, he will probably give a head start to many)
Thanks to that ^ i cant wait to do everything in my power to eliminate you next time i see you in CC games :)

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
There is a time to call all in! Going all in with ace jack and calling an all in are two different plays! On is good and one is not so good! And it was not ace jack! It was ace ten off and was a bad call!

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

I have had players belittle me in the past and even very recently for my play. All you can do is let they have there laugh and just let it go. Recently i was called recklus by a player who did not seem to notice I had top set and he only had an underpaid. Guess I should have folded there. Yeah he had the last laugh hitting runner runner to beat me.

As for you play, It is possible you made a bad play so don't just just dismiss his coment. Look at the play and make sure it was a smart call. There are times we should fold there and its possble to look and learn if you find you did make an error.

J

June4Spades

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That is a very good question. To be honest, I probably do think both ways. When I am lucky, I think I play well, when I am unlucky, I beat myself up for - apparently - bad choices. The middle hands are vicious. Anyone can play premium hands, but it takes courage to go all-in with JJ. If I win, I clap myself on the back for having been brave, but if I loose I doubt to have made the right move. Because of that I find it helpfull to watch other players and analyze what I would have done.

B

BrunoFabri01

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I classify myself through the results of the tournaments I participate, so I classify myself as an average player, because I almost always get prizes, despite hardly reaching the final table

044hero

044hero

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
People can always do more than they think)

ATL2000

ATL2000

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would consider myself a pretty average player by today's standards. It's not too hard to grasp the basic strategies of the game, but I seem to lack the attention to see the patterns and tendencies of my opponents.