Do you think that pros play differently on TV vs. Off TV?

SavagePenguin

SavagePenguin

Put the win in penguin
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One more thing I failed to mention. Poker After Dark is a winner-take-all event. Busting out in 6th pays the same $0 as busting out in 2nd. That leads to a different style of play as well.

KoRnholio

KoRnholio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think they do play a bit differently for "advertising" purposes, so they'll get more action in their regular games, but not very often. And certainly not as often as the edited tv shows would make it seem.

The other thing to remember is that High Stakes Poker has a VERY action orientated blind structure. With antes in addition to the blinds, it makes it much more desirable to play looser and go after the blind money. So much of the change in their game on HSP in particular is just an adjustment to the game format, rather than just mixing it up to throw off opponents.

L

langrealtor

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
As much as they play, I think that they have to change their strategies on TV, since their style can be seen. There playing style can not become too predictible. I think that is also why some players develop certain personalities. You get players focusing on how they act and not their playing.

I

imemine

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
does anyone know the blind structure for poker after dark, 10 min, 20 min, 30 min?

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this is what I was trying to convey. I'm not actually suggesting that they PLAY differently, more that they will inevitably BEHAVE differently. He probably does - even Doyle Brunson has an ego.

The play aspect, I'm not sure that they play all that differently. Sure they don't want t o get owned on TV and they may make one or two plays for the camera's but then again they may well do that normally.

As for behaviour.... its a tough one because I dont think that someone like Doyle behaves differently on a TV game to a regular game .. however I think that all of this is an act... a personality he has honed for playing at the table.

I think that goes for most of the big names.. they behave like this in any poker game (however I think that away from the tables, you may well see that this is an act).

Maybe the up and comings are different because they haven't fully developed their poker persona... and this is their one big chance so they maybe go a bit crazy.

buckster436

buckster436

Cardschat Hall of Famer - RIP Buck
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
probably not for Pro`s,, after it`s there Job, aka, livelyhood, pretty sure pros are serious always while playing,,,buck:eek: :)