Do you sometimes take a break from poker?

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes... sometimes... when there is a satiety of the game... but then I always come back:)

elJenio8

elJenio8

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah it has to be a very bad sesion for me to take a break

I usally dont do it

Drumsound

Drumsound

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've had a really frustrating year in poker so far. I play a weekly home game and 2 organized "poker league" types games on a cell app each week. I play for play money as well, on the off days from the real money (small stakes) games.

Last Sunday, after playing well, and seeing shitty play rewarded, after I busted, I decided I needed to not play. I though for a couple days. Then our home game came around and I was really on the fence, but decided to both flip a coin and do a Twitter poll. But suggested I skip the game, so I did. Last night I didn't play the app game, and I didn't play an impromptu game in the app with the group either.

It both feels weird, and good. I think I won't play a hand until next Wednesday's home game. That will be a 10 day hiatus. I'm trying to watch some videos and read here to engage my poker mind. I watched both days of Poker After Dark this week, and some YouTube things. I have some Jonathan Little things I downloaded that I'm going to dive into today as well.

Come Wednesday, I going to go in calm, and try to play my best, and hope the luckboxes don't get lucky.

I thought I'd come back and talk about my results. I did take 10 days. I didn't play a single hand from the frustrating night on the App until last night's homegame.

I spent some good time with my Jonathan Little videos, just watching and thinking. I didn't take notes, but tried to keep things in mind. I think thinking longer before acting was helpful.

Last night I felt really good going into the game, and really good after. I felt like my situational awareness was really good. Most of my decisions seemed right, and the majority paid off. I didn't play a ton of hands, but I did play them well. I made a triple barrel bluff that I believed to be the smart play, and it was. Even though I was playing against someone who's never played with us, I felt I knew where I was at in the hand. My bluff was with purpose. It told a good story, and to the rest of the table (those not in the hand) they seemed to think I had it. Oddly enough, even though new guy kept calling, he had nothing. We both just had K high, but I had him out kicked and took the pot early in the SNG. I got away from a couple hands, based on reads and range though, and I think I was right.

The only hand I wished I played differently was my bust out. We were 3 handed (in the money and POY points). The SB limped to me in the big. I had 9T and considered pushing, as I was pretty short, but decided to check and see. The flop was 238 and went check check. The turn was a T and the SB bet, and I shoved for about double his bet. He called, and had 23. I didn't get the river and recouped my investment. Had I been aggressive preflop, I might have picked up his limp and positioned myself better to place higher.

The break was WONDERFUL for my mindset. I need to stay in tune with myself and do it as necessary.

umyt

umyt

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play poker to relax after work
I don't think I can take a break from poker

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
In the week 1-2 days maybe I will not play, usually for a break and sometimes because of work. Breaks are good, because you take a breath and return fresh and with more apetite for the game.:nurse:

jcxmendes

jcxmendes

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
every two months, the three times I get about 10 to 15 days without playing, I do well to do an analysis and air my head

mountainfox

mountainfox

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, I sometimes take a break from poker. It happens when I keep on losing no matter how well I played. I do other things like watch a movie.

GIRFIED

GIRFIED

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The breaks are part of my poker routine.

We can't play as robots 24/7 and expect good results, everything in excess is bad, the ideal is to reach a balance where we do not our tired playing poker, in this way, every time we return to the tables are us full of energy and can deploy our best game.

FF2586

FF2586

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
Hello there!

Nice topic!

Well I play a lot of poker since I don't know when anymore! So breaks are mendatory for me! I can't take the poker life everyday, I have to get away for a while from time to time!

I always get back with a clear head and a lot of enegy after a break!

I hope you are enjoying yours and that you'd get good result once you're back!

gl gl gl

Chief talking bull

Chief talking bull

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's been a while since I've played live with cash but all I do is play freerolls online to try and pick up some change and see what I can do with it. So as far as that goes there's no need to take a break.

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
yes I take a break from poker. This time it's been a couple of months away from poker.

Entrik

Entrik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, I sometimes take a break from poker, for example, go to a club or sit with friends in a bar, drink beer or watch TV shows or movies at home, for example, to distract myself ... :)

migesan

migesan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
break should be at least 2-3 days a week, I personally do not adhere to that :) because if you play every day you lose concentration and play worse, I lost $ 400 for 2 weeks just because I played every day.

A

AKbadboyAK

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you sometimes get fed up with poker?

Two weeks ago I took a break from poker and I am planning to stay away from poker for two more weeks.

Hopefully the joy and excitement in poker will be back then :)

Good for what I understand from your question, I also have done this a few times until it improves our game, also helps in psychological and stress :)

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Breaks are essential , especially if you don't feel that you are in the right mood for some days , if you feel tired , after msny bad beats and a downswing , or if you have a job/work to accomplish that demands all the time , also some of your free time . Breaks are good for me , cannot understand how some players play everyday without losing not even one day , either it's buyin games or freerolls .

albosaltenio

albosaltenio

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it's quite good sometimes to take some time outside the poker tables.
you have to take some time to think and rethink the game method

T_Dawg

T_Dawg

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I get fed up all the time but almost never stop playing. Been playing almost every day for 12 years. I have played at least a half million hands.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I take a break for a few days at least once every 2-3 weeks, completely forgetting about poker.

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
when I lose poker, I want to take a break, but if I take a break I lose my game:(

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Taking a break from playing poker can be a good idea if you’re feeling frustrated! I just make sure to refocus and study even more than I otherwise would in order to make up for the time :)

S

Schrubbler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I only take break after loosing streaks or loosing my bankroll, sometimes i quit for a year then sometimes not

A

Anders1616

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am back after the break.

Last Sunday, i played in a freeroll of 888 and won $38 :)

Ecolando

Ecolando

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I take a break whenever poker doesn't fit into my lifestyle. For example, if I don't get the time I need, or if I don't have the money to put up. I find that I always come back around to it later on.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been mostly off poker since the DOJ shut down online poker and chased too many fish away from Stars and Full Tilt, which is a problem since, although I'm Canadian, I'm on the west coast.

Have I missed much?

ToNy70929

ToNy70929

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UZ
Chips
Poker is not a job, but most likely just a vacation. But why rest from such a rest? Everyday cares are pleasantly replaced by a game of poker for your pleasure. Sorry I wanted to philosophize a little:D:eek: