Do you sometimes take a break from poker?

A

Anders1616

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you sometimes get fed up with poker?

Two weeks ago I took a break from poker and I am planning to stay away from poker for two more weeks.

Hopefully the joy and excitement in poker will be back then :)

Y

YKCaiTLH1314

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It’s been 2 months now since I relocate to Cambodia for live cash game. Been grinding at two houses 7 hours and 5 hours on a daily basis.
Third weeks into it I fell flat, exhausted and don’t feel like working( grinding ) anymore.
Then I took a 4 days break with my local gf and went back to her village
I’m back now playing again with better results and motivation
Have decided to practice a one day off weekly and a 4 -5 days short vacation every month
It’s really good mentally and physically

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Last times I am taking a long break from poker. I am playing a game that at the beginning, I thought a childish game, but now I am addicted and I am forgeting poker. I am able now to see my money again, hahaha...

Drumsound

Drumsound

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've had a really frustrating year in poker so far. I play a weekly home game and 2 organized "poker league" types games on a cell App each week. I play for play money as well, on the off days from the real money (small stakes) games.

Last Sunday, after playing well, and seeing shitty play rewarded, after I busted, I decided I needed to not play. I though for a couple days. Then our home game came around and I was really on the fence, but decided to both flip a coin and do a Twitter poll. But suggested I skip the game, so I did. Last night I didn't play the app game, and I didn't play an impromptu game in the app with the group either.

It both feels weird, and good. I think I won't play a hand until next Wednesday's home game. That will be a 10 day hiatus. I'm trying to watch some videos and read here to engage my poker mind. I watched both days of Poker After Dark this week, and some YouTube things. I have some Jonathan Little things I downloaded that I'm going to dive into today as well.

Come Wednesday, I going to go in calm, and try to play my best, and hope the luckboxes don't get lucky.

D

Dude1901

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
After the birth of my son I had a little break...but now I’m in action:))))

rj_montana

rj_montana

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Absolutely, sometimes rage quit, sometimes have bigger priorities and poker becomes a distraction. You can only hit the deposit/reload so many times before you self-exclude in frustration.

J

James24543

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you sometimes get fed up with poker?

Two weeks ago I took a break from poker and I am planning to stay away from poker for two more weeks.

Hopefully the joy and excitement in poker will be back then :)

Its good to take a break from anything you are doing, that way it will allow you to collect yourself and when you go back into it you will be sharper.

igroksash

igroksash

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
After an impressive series of unsuccessful defeats and disappointments, I have not played poker for about 6 months.

M

myquickwit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A mental break from poker is always a good thing to recharge the batteries.

Cam54

Cam54

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't really get " fed up " most of my breaks over the years have been simply because something else more fully demanded my time ... I do agree though that a little balance .. doing and giving importance to something else on a regular basis keeps other things fresh .. and I feel that will allow you to do those things better, as well as make them more enjoyable ....

YevhenUA

YevhenUA

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My last break lasts for a 10 years [emoji28]
Now I'm playing without any problems everyday.

RiverLord90

RiverLord90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I took a long break back in 2009. Then I thought about getting back into it and approaching it the right way in 2018. So I started studying poker, reading books, articles, joining forums/dicord servers/reddit communities and watching training videos. Then I started playing freerolls in late 2018 and made my first deposit in mid 2019. I took another break in November of 2019, started back around Christmas, took some losses and then had my biggest score ever of $1,762 on New Year's Day!

TLDR: breaks are good when you feel you need to take them. Persevering through adversity and repeated failure towards your goals is also good.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everyone is different, but I believe everyone needs a break at some point for a certain amount of time. The key is to come back feeling refreshed and ready to play. Whether that be for a day, week, month, year, or decade. Whatever you feel like you need to get back to enjoying the game, take it.

P

phil rodgers

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I find that a 1-2 week vacation is good at least once a year. and I do not take my computer, or ipad, and only use the phone if someone calls, and there is a name to go with the call. I mean, if you're going to take a vacation, take a vacation. :laugh::laugh:

R

Ricardo_lhp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I certainly pause at poker yes: first to study and second to rest too. But I usually don't take breaks as long as you do, at most 2 to 3 days and I'll be back in the game.:):)

BriceNice

BriceNice

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah its usually correlated with the amount of money I have

R

Richardszabo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can be sure, it worked for me! I noticed it again, poker no longer brings so much fun and excitement. I also need a break, I have been planning for a long time.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Those breaks work for me very well , I can tell the difference in my game and imagine I am not a pro or something similar , I am a recreational.

I don't know if a 4 weeks break will work more or less compared to a 2 days off break /week but this is something you know better for yourself.I find that playing less times/week affects my game very much.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
No doubt, sometimes you need to take a break even from playing poker. I am convinced that rest well affects the concentration and endurance of the player. I usually rest for 1-2 weeks every 2-3 months.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Usually, I do not play too often to get tired. I only play 3-4 days a week, so I do not need a break at the moment.

Maikychan

Maikychan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, the last time I played poker was last Thursday. But the break I took was due to the problems I have been facing with my internet ever since...

V

Vlad Nesterenko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course, I try to relax more often from poker, especially when the excitement disappears and you start to take certain actions automatically without hesitation, it really helps a lot, recharging is good

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never play for long enough so that i need a brake. Having limited free time and other hobbies different than poker is natural way to have some breaks from poker sometimes for up to few weeks. Especially in the summer with so much things to do outside it is inevitable.

dimon4ik89

dimon4ik89

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I take a break when I have Down Streak (or Downswing). When I played live poker, I had 1 or 2 days for luck to return to me, and then I continued to enjoy the game with renewed vigor. In online poker, I need a week or sometimes more time to forget the series of failures and start playing again as good as usual. When I’m in a bad mood, I don’t play poker on such days. In general, I think it is periodically necessary to take a break for those who have poker as their main source of income. Professional poker is work, and a person should rest from any work.

OneSevenFi5

OneSevenFi5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I take frequent breaks from poker. Not so much because I'm upset and tilted, but because I like to take a step back and use that time as a period of reflection where I might be giving up too much with my play.