Polytarp

Polytarp

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Why not have your cake and eat it too?....invest in the online poker corporation you play at so that if you lose your bankroll you can get a fraction of it back from dividends or because you increased the stock value (depending upon how much you lose)...it's a win-win both ways!

More seriously, in my opinion, play for fun unless you are a professional where you have multiple sources of income derived from your profession..otherwise it can become a swirling vortex of doom if you don't have the discipline to play appropriately.

0cean

0cean

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't plan on getting rich anytime soon playing micro &
I think I'd be playing WAY MORE poker if I was a millionaire.

iosif18

iosif18

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
fff

Of course my friend.Sometimes win is not a huge amount but being 1st is a nice feeling.

RasterGFX

RasterGFX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Interesting question, and interesting points of view. I invest all money from poker to my projects, starting from freerolls and withdrawing as soon as I hit a hundred or couple, not building any bankrolls like I've used to.

This I believe is how anyone playing poker either for "fun" or "profit" should advance themselves. Unless you suddenly become a "poker god" and start winning things like a $400 buy-in Colossus Ring (watched it btw... nice job :) ) or even just a low-tier wsop casher that can scrape a good 40-60k a year (that's above even the average 2-working Adults in USA).

It's a hard Life. Yet. Very enjoyable as long as you don't go crazy and bankrupt yourself. Getting back up is one of the hardest things to do. Bankroll management.

D

dompoker

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is the dream of everyone to earn thousands of dollars in poker, but to win thousands of dollars you have to invest thousands of dollars.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Something to keep mind occupied...

Poker's a game for game's sake, fun competition. The added pressure to win money makes it like work. I'd rather play poker for zero or little money that gets rid day-to-day stress.

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This I believe is how anyone playing poker either for "fun" or "profit" should advance themselves. Unless you suddenly become a "poker god" and start winning things like a $400 buy-in Colossus Ring (watched it btw... nice job :) ) or even just a low-tier WSOP casher that can scrape a good 40-60k a year (that's above even the average 2-working Adults in USA).

It's a hard Life. Yet. Very enjoyable as long as you don't go crazy and bankrupt yourself. Getting back up is one of the hardest things to do. Bankroll management.

The funny part of it is that I've played poker for living since 2008 till 2015, made $800 in my first month and started with $50 free bankroll offered to me by some other poker forum... my best month was +8.5K, worst month was +400, average +2.5-3K. And I'm not in the USA, average salary around is $300 per month after taxes and prices are much cheaper than USA, things like broadband internet 300Mb/s cost $5 per month here and rest of the prices are much much more cheaper than in the US.

Life isn't hard, it's simple and complicated at the same time... life is a game, it has start and has an end.. 100 year life is 24*365*100 = 876K hours, that's our stack of chips in this game and we're paying ante every second. This is the reason why I've quit playing 12 tables per day during 8-12 hours and took a break from poker. Since 2016 I'm playing mostly freerolls in the evenings cause I usually draw 3d models or use CAM software to prepare programs for my CNC machines and since i'm addicted to multitasking i also listen to audio lessons, play poker, chat with customers and keep drawing/programming all together. And even since i'm not keeping any bankroll still i'm pulling out of 5-6 poker sites approx 1.5K+ per year, it was little less than 3K in 2017. Not bad for a evening hobby? And i keep investing these poker winnings into parts for new cnc machines and in new tools. CNC machine which is a simple robot gives a stable profit, and all I have to do is to find customers, workers and feed the machines with materials for cutting/engraving, programs for work process, electricity and lube to keep it alive. The best part of it is that machine works for 10-20hours on its own, and I don't have to anything during this time, so basically it generates profit while it works. If you're playing poker for living then you're slowly wasting your lifetime observing the masturbation process of the same 52 cards again and again. 876K hours is 100 year life, 30% is sleep time, some time has passed already, some % will be spent for teeth brushing, shower, food and so on... How much effective time is left? And what % of this time will be spent for poker? What will it give except for money and serotonin? At some point online poker player may realize that online gambling is something like sitting in a jail. Yes earning money from poker is good, but poker player creates nothing useful for the society and for himself. That's the problem. nothing useful.... in all cases any poker player could earn much more money by doing some useful business, Negreanu or Hellmuth could earn same money if they have studied and worked as neuro surgeons for example. They could save lives instead of working as a clown promouters of poker industry... That's the sad truth of reality.

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I guess you're a millenial, a victim of twitter... massive spamming 147 symbols of your favorite BS (that's short for your favorite Baloney Sandwich).

Have checked your stats for Chico and Revolution poker networks and looks like our conversation is over. Wish you good luck, just like your signature says.

beldin2010

beldin2010

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes I had such thoughts years ago but for this you need to have luck not only to know how to play managing your bankroll now I play from time to time for fun.

AntA_KO_v

AntA_KO_v

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As for me Poker is the way to develop the brain. Like chess but without chess pieces and with luck factor. Learn all percentages in charts and play with a strategy is not fun, but may be profitable (if there is no downstrike). But when I'm starting to thing about money in deeprun - it is the end for me in this tournament. Likewise when I want to eleminate particular player. So my answer is: NO, I'm not playing to be rich. I would say so: 60% of poker is thinking, 20% fun, 20% money.

recerveau

recerveau

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Look, it would be good to get rich and keep playing poker. But nowadays I realize that poker has helped me a lot to analyze situations better, so I don't play and would continue to play for money alone!

lanelane

lanelane

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think everyone plays because you want to win. Many people say they only play for fun. I don't think so.​

Last edited:
N

Nano5722

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Right now i,m not rich, i just play some freerolls and good value tournaments to earn some money if it,s possible. Still waiting for a good opportunity and a huge big poker win.

Maikychan

Maikychan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't necessarily play poker to get "rich", but my goal would be to earn a considerable amount of money that would allow me to live on just that, without having to have a "standard job".
I don't think I would play poker if it was just dummy chips (don't know if could express myself properly lol)... the variance is too stressful to be supported without having something good being desired.

jfofla

jfofla

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]If I were a millionaire I would definitely be a professional poker player.[/COLOR]​

rfbh54

rfbh54

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me it’s earnings. It can act both as the main and additional earnings. This is the excitement that brings adrenaline to my life.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Those who play to get rich are deluded.
Poker is a great way to turn a big bankroll into a small one.
If you are rich in poker friends and enjoyment from the game, you are successful.

leobouble

leobouble

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play with the intention of getting rich but I don't play just because of that I also have fun with poker and get distracted when I play, each person has their favorite sport mine is poker

bylly3

bylly3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No, I play poker for fun, but if at the same time I can get some money, I have no problem at all. xD

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

I the same as you. Except I also play poker to be pimped. This is because I can't stay in a town long enough to settle down and need the money to move and get started for next job (labor work). You set the bet come back and check and go to next town. Jobs usually pay 500 dollars and hotels can cost up to 2000 a week.

gena31

gena31

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
I am sure that 99% play for the sake of enrichment, to earn a little money. Poker is a gamble, a game for money, otherwise it would not be so attractive

dimon4ik89

dimon4ik89

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
First of all, I play poker because I get pleasure and a boost of positive energy from it. And of course, I’m glad of any earnings that this game gives me. If I were a millionaire, I would still continue to play poker, but maybe I would change the strategy of the game to a loose one. For many years, poker has been a part of my life, and it does not depend on how rich I am).

det0nate

det0nate

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play for the love of the game !!
As long as im not making deposits im not complaining to bad lol

A

amniasti

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hmm have time when i think i will play just to win money but its not this i play poker much of time for fun also and slot games its all fun