Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
So many things labeled as sports ....

Poker - loosely defined as a sport

Direct physical contact/conditioning should be a minimum criteria in considering labeling something as a sport - prolly

S

stg1969

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can kind of see where your going with that and i would argue that some activities such as nascar and hunting both are considered sports that aren't very physical and you don't have to be exactly fit to compete in any of them.Heck you can even be drunk and hunt!

Shows how much you know about Nascar or F1 or Rallying... an F1 driver goes through two hours of intense G-forces, so much so that its like having a medicine ball attached to his neck for two hours...

Hunting/Archery/Darts... i personally consider them skill games...

To me, sport is something where you are required to exert some physical activity to compete.

Personally, on a side issue, I dont consider anything a competetive sport when you have judges (ie, ice skating, gymnastics)...now i realise they are physical, i'm just saying, objective judging to me makes it more of a physical form of art rather than competition.. the winner is decided on artistic merit and opinion.

sam1chips

sam1chips

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Haha me and my friends have had similar argument countless times, it all depends on how you define a sport...

In my opinion, a sport definitely needs a physical aspect to it. Otherwise it's just a game. I look at poker the same as chess. If chess is a sport, then poker is. If chess isn't , then poker isn't.

There are obviously a ton of other "activites" that are borderline-sports. Horseracing? Fishing? Bowling? Darts? Figure-skating?
A lot of people have different opinions, but in the big picture it doesn't matter...

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Personally, on a side issue, I dont consider anything a competetive sport when you have judges .
So boxing &/or MMA Fighting aren't sports? How about extreme skiing &/or Freestyle skiing? How about Olympic weightlifting (or Powerlifting)? Not sports either?:confused:

I'd have to disagree with you here.

Nice bump on a yr. old thread btw

danprince10

danprince10

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love bowling and I love poker and neither of them are sports. Sorry.

mosq

mosq

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes poker should be consider a sport, not a sport to be considered for like the olympics, imagine the day lol

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yea, sick bump.

Poker is a mind sport. And it can be physically taxing, but it is a mind sport.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
I guess you need a fit mind and body to play long tournaments if you are a professional.

There was one game of draw many years ago that became an all in brawl.

We were playing in a church hall of all places, the chairs table and punches flew and for a moment it was a lot more aggressive and sporty than most rugby I've played.

Not a sport fot me though, definitely a pastime.

F

fkucdaw0rld

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i def dont think it can be considered a 'sport' per se but i have to agree with your friend who says its like chess....its strictly a measure of mental discipline, and in the long stretches of playing your physical strength comes in handy but it still is nowhere near the level of something that can be considered a sport