Do you consider poker a sport?

C00T

C00T

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A sport is an organized, competitive, entertaining, and skillful activity requiring commitment, strategy, and fair play, in which a winner can be defined by objective means. It is governed by a set of rules or customs. Activities such as card games and board games, are classified as "mind sports" and some are recognized as Olympic sports, requiring primarily mental skills and mental physical involvement. Non-competitive activities, for example as jogging or playing catch are usually classified as forms of recreation.:beer:

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
changed my mind. Was gonna post here...

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its a blood drawing contact sport..............

In a figurative sense....

I mean, really, who cares. It is perhaps a fun topic to debate, but I dont care what anyone classifies pokes as when I register for a tourney.........

I do want to make my opponents bleed, tho...........

Elie_Yammine

Elie_Yammine

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
dumb thread that keeps getting recycled for some reason...

ben_rhyno

ben_rhyno

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think it's a sport. It may be a mind sport but not like chess. In chess there is much much less luck involved and skill is basically the only deciding factor. A grandmaster will beat a novice 1,000 times out of 1,000 unless he concedes the final game through sheer boredom. Skill is still a large factor in poker, but even getting it in with your opponent drawing to 1 out sometimes isn't enough in poker, and the worlds most skilled player can lose to the worlds least skilled player on any given occasion dependent on this tiny luck factor only.

ben_rhyno

ben_rhyno

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From a physics forum:
When you are talking about games, chance has a specific technical meaning, yes in 'real life' other personnel factors also intrude.
But for example:
roulette is a game of pure chance, there is nothing you can do to change the outcome by your skill.
Pontoon is mostly chance with a little skill (don't twist on 17)
Poker is a little chance with a greater deal of skill.
Chess is (almost) pure skill with no chance (other than the white going first advantage)
Go is purely a game of skill

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A sport is an organized, competitive, entertaining, and skillful activity requiring commitment, strategy, and fair play, in which a winner can be defined by objective means. It is governed by a set of rules or customs. Activities such as card games and board games, are classified as "mind sports" and some are recognized as Olympic sports, requiring primarily mental skills and mental physical involvement. Non-competitive activities, for example as jogging or playing catch are usually classified as forms of recreation.:beer:

Is poker a mind sport. Sure.

Is a mind sport a sport. No

Thats why its given a different name.

Its like saying a barn owl is a barn.

doops

doops

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a game. Poker is competitive.

But any game where you sit on your butt and try not to fall asleep is not a sport.

Oddly, remembering how I used to play softball, that's maybe not a sport either. :D

S

sryImPro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well poker is a game and sports are allways been considered as a game...so why not...if you want philosophical answer,it's a pure deduction :D...so you can use that as an argument in your discussion;)

Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
well poker is a game and sports are allways been considered as a game...so why not...if you want philosophical answer,it's a pure deduction :D...so you can use that as an argument in your discussion;)

Monopoly is a game.. but I wouldn't consider it a sport.

Although, I have gone through a 16 hour Monopoly session that may make it seem like a sport :D

C

Chemist

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
changed my mind. Was gonna post here...

Changed my mind, Wasn't going to post here,
but what the heck now I have started.

I like Motor Sport being a specific category
So can you come up with a category for sitting around sports?

Do you have good sportsmanship in poker?
or do you lie and cheat?

ben_rhyno

ben_rhyno

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You lie, not cheat (unless you're Sorel but that's a different story lol)

C

CromMitra

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
anyone who thinks poker is a sport has no idea what a sport is if you ask me.i can't believe i am even seeing a thread question this.......

S

sryImPro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Monopoly is a game.. but I wouldn't consider it a sport.

Although, I have gone through a 16 hour Monopoly session that may make it seem like a sport :D
Hahaha,you got me there :D...well thats why is philosophy so boring :D...in your case you can call it marathon-monopoly,cute combination of sport and game :D..ps-i hope you won that one ;)

TheDevilsLuck

TheDevilsLuck

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is poker a mind sport. Sure.

Is a mind sport a sport. No

Thats why its given a different name.

Its like saying a barn owl is a barn.

I wasn't going to post anything in this topic, but I hated this logic, so I was forced to.

What you said really doesn't make any sense. Mind sport, motor sport, action sport and whatever else are sports, if you use those terms. Just like hold'em, omaha, and stud are all forms of poker. You could somehow claim one of the isn't real poker, however. Just like barn owl and whatever other owls are owls. Someone out there probably says that that one type of owl isn't really an owl, but who knows or cares for that matter.

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wasn't going to post anything in this topic, but I hated this logic, so I was forced to.

What you said really doesn't make any sense. Mind sport, motor sport, action sport and whatever else are sports, if you use those terms. Just like hold'em, omaha, and stud are all forms of poker. You could somehow claim one of the isn't real poker, however. Just like barn owl and whatever other owls are owls. Someone out there probably says that that one type of owl isn't really an owl, but who knows or cares for that matter.

What actually happened was the term Motor Sport was coined as a marketing ploy. It eventually became so common place that it found its way into the dictionary. At which point chess players decided to raise the profile of chess and coined the term Mind Sport. You will not find the term "Mind Sport" appearing in any form of literature prior to the inclusion of "Motor Sport" in the dictionary. The reason for the inculusion of a suffix is that neither meet the requirement of the outcome of the event being determined by a physical contest, so neither are forms of sport. The inclusion of the suffix means that any definition can be given to the new term, thus a mind sport is not a sport but a contest of the mind. The term mind sport captures the spirit of the competition whilst allowing a deviation from the definition of the word sport. Simply put you can never drop wthe word mind from mind sport when describing poker, because a mind sport is not a sport.

Whereas Poker is a generic set of rules... which actually forms part of the definition of the word "Game"... (a hand ranking system based on 5 from 7 cards) its variants are simply different forms of dealing those cards.

Last edited:
G

gargarica

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
sry it is a crazyyyyyyy sport =))) ... he is crazzyyyy???

Elie_Yammine

Elie_Yammine

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hahaha!post counts make people completely irrelevant!

B

buzzz45

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
"the only true sports are bull fighting auto raceing and mountain climbing" Hemmingway. To that I would ad skydiving.

Elie_Yammine

Elie_Yammine

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thank you for confirming my theory...

Y

yotalover

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a tough call, but I would say no. Competitive maybe, but not a sport. I think a sport would have to have some kind of consistant physical activity along with stamina, where poker at best only brings the stamina part with it.

Bowling, darts, billards, all have the physical activity along with stamina, all-be-it maybe not much of either. I say they are all sports.

Who knows, good question tho

jazzaxe

jazzaxe

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Any activity where you can smoke a cigar, have a Martini and wear a tuxedo is not a sport.

Elie_Yammine

Elie_Yammine

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PLEASE!PLEASE!PLEASE!FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY!LOCK THIS THREAD DOWN!IT HAS NO FUNCTION WHATSOEVER, HAVING BEEN DETERMINED OVER AND OVER AGAIN THAT POKER ISN'T A SPORT!IF SOME CONSIDER IT AS SUCH ,GOOD FOR THEM!NOW LET THIS STUPID,IRRELEVANT,WASTE-OF-TIME THREAD DIE...PLEASE!

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Of course poker is sport, it is a sport of the mind, mental athletics. Physical fitness is essential for a sound mind and to excel at the highest level requires years of commitment, discipline, sacrifice and self control.

This one really is a no brainer IMO.

This, ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Me & Doyle was discussin this while we were runnin in a Marathon jus last week. ;)