Distractions While Playing Online Poker

BadB420

BadB420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The chat can be a big advantage if you use it correctly! Its always fun to watch somebody have a bad beat than BLOWUP on chat claiming that they were cheated by the site and by the players and then next hand of course they shove, an obvious tilt shove and if you even have half of a hand you have a good chance to take whats left of there chips!

BearPlay

BearPlay

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The chat can be a big advantage if you use it correctly! Its always fun to watch somebody have a bad beat than BLOWUP on chat claiming that they were cheated by the site and by the players and then next hand of course they shove, an obvious tilt shove and if you even have half of a hand you have a good chance to take whats left of there chips!

3247.jpg

veltins

veltins

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
JP
Chips
my biggest distraction is my 18 mths Boy .. it's been 18 mths since i cant concentrate solely on poker as he s the one who make me concentrate on him instead.. LOL...everytime i ve to Play wth him n poker same time ..

R

regslayer

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I had problems with distractions (facebook,forums,chatting,skype etc..) so I started turning off all programs beside poker software before I start my grind (even my phone). Sometimes it happens that I start surfing or doing something else.. and when I notice it, it's usually a good sign that I need a brake

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I rarely get distracted with the chat, but many times I watch TV while playing poker, especially when I playing only a few tournaments. I know I shouldn't, but otherwise I can't control my anxiety.

rickypr18

rickypr18

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to play while on facebook, youtube, tumblr, gmail, watching TV, eating, talking on the phone, etc. I'm trying to cut down on doing those things when I'm sitting at a ring game, playing a tourney, or playing a sit & go.

Jackdaclown

Jackdaclown

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have slowly noticed over the last several years of playing poker online, the less distractions there are the better your play will be. This is obvious to most but I learned the hard way and when you are trying to be serious about what you are trying to do playing poker, being serious is the only way. Maybe I'm wrong cause some others can play well with distractions I guess, but this is a small adjustment I recently made, along with a couple others, and in a short period have noticed the difference in my decision making, by turning off the tv and not searching the web while in any type of tourney, I am simply making better decisions.

DaBrowner

DaBrowner

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find if I'm chatting I miss into at that I should be using

davadoo

davadoo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I really don't think chatting distracts me too much. If anything it loosens me and the table up and it is much easier to read people.

Staneff

Staneff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find that if I'm not focusing on the game starting a chat with someone helps me to focus more as you talking about poker you thinking about poker and nothing else.

That`s what i do too and it helps me alot. I can easy get distracted and doing something like this helps me concentrate in poker.

Faust

Faust

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I actually use chat in the table to distract another players. I mean... It doesn't bother me to chat, it doesn't affect my game, and it's very good to enjoy the time playing, but that inevitably distracts others and it's a quite good advantage to me. However if i really need to focus on the game i have to stay focused just on the table, and that means quitting all distractions such as music, chat, food, etc.

M

marinkovicrobert

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
my biggest distraction while playing poker when I think I have unbetable hand before flop.
my second are my kids.

ccocco

ccocco

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
to play much poker, either online or live and you know that there are players who use a lot of time to go crazy to eager players also are the bad beats are part of poker. good decisions taking into account variables make winning poker tournaments .. studying ...

rytciaq

rytciaq

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only two distractions while playing online poker for me are- youtube and music. I don't really like hardcore multitabling, so I'm playing 3 tables at the time max. I just make my browser 2x smaller and open youtube or pokerstars.tv. One half of the screen is for the youtube/pokerstars.tv, the other half is for poker tables.

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its depends mostly on whether you are concentrating on the chat or the game itself.Too much distractions from the chats can ruin your concentration on the game.

BearPlay

BearPlay

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stephen, please let your dog out. You're winning too much, anyway :0

I have found that the table chat actually relaxes me and prevents me from overplaying.

L

lilnewtdog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Boredom for sure cause it leads to all those thongs. Of course I only play when house is to myself, there would be a lot more other wise.

rickypr18

rickypr18

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Boredom for sure cause it leads to all those thongs. Of course I only play when house is to myself, there would be a lot more other wise.

For sure, boredom leads to a lot of thongs.

O

OGslikrick

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its depends mostly on whether you are concentrating on the chat or the game itself.Too much distractions from the chats can ruin your concentration on the game.

+1
I sometimes find myself talking too much but on the other side of things in multiple situations I have had people in MTTs be more willing to donate or protect my all-ins with weaker hands just to keep the conversation going.

Henry Minute

Henry Minute

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The chat box has never been a distraction for me, sometimes I just ignore it, sometimes I chat away like a maniac.

At least that used to be the case. I have just got new glasses (spectacles) and they are varifocals. It is taking me a while to get used to them and what distracts me now is the fact that I can't read the chat. I see a chat line appear and glance at it only to find that I can't actually read it which triggers what I can only describe as a sitting down granddad dance. Tilting my head up then down then left then right, leaning forwards then backwards and all possible combinations thereof until I find a position where I can read it. At this point I usually find that it's rubbish and I needn't have bothered or it's in Russian and I can't understand it. By this time I will have either timed out or be damned close to it.

So just lately, chat has started to be a distraction but not for the usual reasons.