Not open for further replies.
C

cAPSLOCK

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sUPERnOVA

I'm all up in this race too with just 99,542 to go.

B

bw07507

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pretty swingy month so far. 7,867 VPPs to go for SuperNova

Attachments

• halftime.jpg
    halftime.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 6
c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Had a sick 3000 hand session tonight. Ran $100 below EV, made some really terrible plays, and some really awesome ones. Managed to hit a huge card rush too to save my session.

Attachments

• 3000Hands.jpg
    3000Hands.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 6
kleitches

kleitches

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Update since last graph. Couldn't manage to hit the 10k big blind milestone tonight. Ah well. :p

Attachments

• 9999.1 Big Blinds.JPG
    9999.1 Big Blinds.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 9
kleitches

kleitches

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
btw, anyone know if it's possible at all to get Silver Star playing 10nl? :) I think I wanna try!

eNTy

eNTy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think KC did it in Nov..

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
btw, anyone know if it's possible at all to get Silver Star playing 10nl? :) I think I wanna try!

possible if you play like 100k hands, but why on earth would you want to do that? loosing players should not play that much, break even players should focus on improving their game instead of on volume, and winning players should really move up once they are rolled for 25nl.

Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Belgo, you playing 100nl?

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Belgo, you playing 100nl?

Yes. :D

Got my home internet connection running on Tuesday last week so i could start playing again after more than 2 weeks off due to my moving to new appartment. Ran at 25BB/100 for a couple of days at 50nl, so I soon broke my BRM limit to move up to 100nl. And so far i'm crushing it at nearly 10BB/100 9-tabling FR. Didn't play that much volume, but i did make about $1k over the week. Which also brings lifetime earnings just above $5k.

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Which also brings lifetime earnings just above $5k.

Starting on August 1st, 2007, that's 16.5 months to go from $0 to $5k. I guess i'm slightly behind Ferguson's $0 to $10k in 16 months. :eek:

Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh, ok, I thought you were playing 6max, just had some fish on Stars that I wanted to share with you :)

Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The CC 'Well' craze is reaching epidemic proportions :p

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm currently grinding 2nl with a $50 BR. I buy-in for 100 BBs which gives me 25 buy-ins total, which is more than enough for this limit. Well, I recently decided to sit at some 5nl tables a few times and I noticed that the play is exactly the same as 2nl with very exploitable players. Now, I don't have the proper BR to sit at 5nl with a 100 BB buy-in, so I sat down with only 40BBs-which is what I buy-in at 2nl.

Other than the fact that I'll have to make necessary adjustments to play short(er) stack poker, what other cons are there with playing with a short buy-in at 5nl? I know I won't be getting as much in return with a short buy-in, but my buy-in is relative to my BR as far as following BRM.

I'm very confident in my 2nl game and I'm pretty sure I can beat 5nl just as easily, but will I jumping in stakes too fast? Even if I can beat both stakes, is it better for me to just stick with 2nl for now and build up, but I'm able to buy-in for full 100 BBs at 5nl? Or is it possible for me to effective with short buying-in at 5nl if I feel I can crush it just as easily as 2nl?

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm currently grinding 2nl with a $50 BR. I buy-in for 100 BBs which gives me 25 buy-ins total, which is more than enough for this limit. Well, I recently decided to sit at some 5nl tables a few times and I noticed that the play is exactly the same as 2nl with very exploitable players. Now, I don't have the proper BR to sit at 5nl with a 100 BB buy-in, so I sat down with only 40BBs-which is what I buy-in at 2nl.

Other than the fact that I'll have to make necessary adjustments to play short(er) stack poker, what other cons are there with playing with a short buy-in at 5nl? I know I won't be getting as much in return with a short buy-in, but my buy-in is relative to my BR as far as following BRM.

I'm very confident in my 2nl game and I'm pretty sure I can beat 5nl just as easily, but will I jumping in stakes too fast? Even if I can beat both stakes, is it better for me to just stick with 2nl for now and build up, but I'm able to buy-in for full 100 BBs at 5nl? Or is it possible for me to effective with short buying-in at 5nl if I feel I can crush it just as easily as 2nl?

Play whichever you think will earn you the greatest return for the number of hands played while making sure you don't go busto. As long as you're not playing the same game 40BB deep as you do at 100BB either strategy can be effective.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Buying in short adds variance to your game. You'll mostly be shipping money in on the flop & turn, thus your opponents will still have some equity in the pot. Additionally, you really shouldn't under-estimate how much big river value bets add to your win rate. Your opponents generally have 0% equity in the pot when you value bet the river, and the river is also by far the largest bet on any given street. Shortening your stack prohibits you from making these kind of bets because you'll usually be all in.

I'd only recommend short stacking in very specific circumstances, and when you have a big skill edge at 5$ NL, that isn't one of them.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah, note that the 20 buy-ins doesn't relate to how much you buy in for, it relates to 20 100 BB buy-ins. Shortstacking adds variance. Honestly if I were you I'd take a 5nl shot and play full with less than the recommended bankroll. You have a huge edge there and as long as you realize it's a shot and will move down if you lose ~3-4 buy-ins or so that's what I'd choose. But if you have to choose between full-stacking 2nl or shortstacking 5nl I'd say full-stack 2nl. It's a completely different game and I almost think it would hurt your overall game development to shortstack. A previously winning 200nl FR player blew most of his roll drunk at 5knl one night so decided to shortstack just to clear a bonus to get a big enough BR to full-stack again. He cleared the bonus, came back to full-stacking, and dropped 7.5k or 37.5 buy-ins. I have to believe that's not just variance and that his play suffered from shortstacking for the few weeks that he did. It's just plain a different game, and especially against the typical calling stations you'll see you're giving up a ton of value by not having a full stack as well as increasing variance.

eNTy

eNTy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree, full stacking 5nl with only 10 BIs is really not all that bad imo.
In any case do what you're more comfortable with.

Both 5nl 100bbs or 2nl 100bbs gets my vote :)

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I see. Good points and thanks for the replies.

Since I'm pretty confident in my 2nl game, I'll go ahead give 5nl a shot and see how that goes for me. And if I happen to drop a few buy-ins at 5nl, I'll drop down to full-stacking 2nl again.

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you crush 2nl, playing 5nl with 10 buy-ins BR should be ok, imo. Just don't buy-in short. It does not reduce variance and it removes the main edge you have against micro-stakes fishes.

Shortstacking is a valid option against competent players, because it creates a small edge in your favor. It's totally counterproductive against fishes because fishes essentially apply a short stack strategy with their deep stack.

The Shrog

The Shrog

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Jealous of CC graphs..

Steveg1976

Steveg1976

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I see. Good points and thanks for the replies.

Since I'm pretty confident in my 2nl game, I'll go ahead give 5nl a shot and see how that goes for me. And if I happen to drop a few buy-ins at 5nl, I'll drop down to full-stacking 2nl again.

Everybody has already said it, I will just add that I just started playing 5nl after grinding 2nl, and there really is no difference after you adjust the bet sizing.

Dwilius

Dwilius

CardsChat Regular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Jealous of CC graphs..

I've got something to make you jealous...

pokerstars Tournament #127001021, No Limit Hold'em
Buy-In: $1.00/$0.10
3699 players
Total Prize Pool: $3699.00
Tournament started 2008/12/15 11:00:00 ET

Dear D'wilius,

You finished the tournament in 655th place.
A $1.11 award has been credited to your real money account.

Congratulations!
Thank you for participating

Status
Not open for further replies.