Out of curiousity, what do you believe qualifies as a bad beat?

A-RAG

A-RAG

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Somebody thats in a big pot against you that has no business being in it and spikes a 1 or 2 outer. Seem to see this way too much in micro stakes.

LadyLoon

LadyLoon

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
lol I like the Good, the Bad and the Ugly philosophy of Tonowanda myself.... Good when quads beat your FH or similar better hand beating your good hand, Bad when your AA get cracked with KK hitting a set, and Ugly when some donk hits a st8 or flush on river and beats you and should never have been in the hand to begin with. :confused:

L

luckforsome

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
...think imo, genreally if a guy hits runner runner straight or runner runner same card (pocket 9's against set k's, hit 9 9 for quads)...things that are like very unfortunate...runner runner flsh cards arent reall that bad..i think its rouglhy 23 to 1 so a little over 4%, mayb could classify it..but i think 2 outers are bad beats, and when the guy does hit his 9 on turn fllowed by 9 on river, as leatherass says in his video, its time to get a new monitor..

ckingriches

ckingriches

Lucky Multiple League MVP
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Personally I think a hand I win, or lose, on the river with a 2 or 3 outer is certainly a bad beat. Not as bad as runner runner straight, boat or quads to beat the next best hand, but bad enough to qualify in my book. To me the worst bad beat is when the board post quads and some A rag beats a boat like after QQ connects on a Q7777 board.

By the way, to those who say there are no bad beats, what does that really mean? Are you saying that the term itself shouldn't exist? Seems a little too esoteric for my simple mind to comprehend.

cha4zz

cha4zz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With a bit of experience you get to experience various types of badbeat. I've had KK lose to A-rag because Quad boards, i've spiked a set with AA only to lose to runner runner to make quads. I've got to the point now where losing 60/40's and even 80/20's don't really affect me as much as previously, it happens from time to time.

I'd class a badbeat as any runner runner, any 3-outer or less and also when someone means to hit with a flush or straight and instead hits with a backdoor.

dufferdevon

dufferdevon

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I cannot believe the amount of "poker players" that cannot describe a bad beat. It is when you are a HUGE FAVOURITE to win a hand WHEN ALL THE MONEY has gone into the pot and villain COMES FROM BEHIND to beat you.

AA vs KK or set over set is not a bad beat, it is called a cooler.

When your QT goes all in pre flop against AA and you flop Q-T-T and an ace spikes the river. You did not receive a bad beat, the AA almost did. But the AA was ahead when all the money went in.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here is a real bad beat:

You hold AA
Your opponent has KK

The board comes AAKK and the river is a K (yeah 5 kings). That's a bad beat.

Everything else is just poker.

A

AceZWylD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bad beats generally are not determined by the cards you lost with. They are generally determined by how much money or opportunity you lost with the cards that you were playing. It could be AA vs 24s all in PF and they flop a straight to knock you out of a tourney. It could be you get it all in for $100 on the flop with a straight while taking away odds against a flush draw, you get called and they spike one their outs to hit their flush. Any time you get it in with the best hand at the moment, you run the risk of having a bad beat.

Glo Bug

Glo Bug

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If we are being serious about bad beats then we have to say in online poker there aren't really bad beats just another player who is willing foolishly as the case may be to put his money in the middle. I would actually prefer to call them moments from the twilight zone!!:confused:

yeah i must agree with u on this one. u do want those players to call when u are way ahead. its just the luck of the draw when they hit.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Here is a real bad beat:

You hold AA
Your opponent has KK

The board comes AAKK and the river is a K (yeah 5 kings). That's a bad beat.

Everything else is just poker.

WOW I can't believe I missed this thread before. Is that ^ EVER A BADBEAT! Holy crap! Were you in that hand? I'd be so choked!:mad:

danprince10

danprince10

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Basically this entire topic boils down to whther or not you think cold decking is a bad beat. I do not.

F

fkucdaw0rld

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its all relative really, depending on that particular session and how a person is playing against you....personally a bad beat to me is any time i get my opponent allin wen i've got him crushed and he spikes the miracle river card...in other words, 65% of my HH on merge =(