Could you play professional or recreational poker?

PokerEdge

PokerEdge

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
HU
Chips
You will mostly need English when you have to make a statement after winning a big tournament. The bankroll is indeed one of the most important things, but I think professionalism, professional living is more complex than that.

W

WellAA

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Not sure how much English you really need : Check, Fold, Raise and the numbers should just about cover it.
Now You know the needed English to be a professional poker player, let's talk business and get into the real thing, build a bankroll as big as You improve day after day into this beautiful community called Cardschat.

cwdignus

cwdignus

Carpe diem
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
USA sites

if you think in the long term, you can add the freeroll earnings plus the acquired skill and really start living on poker earnings, see my current earnings in the cardschat freerolls US$ 1,760.00 , when I had only US$ 260 I started a project that earned US$ $1k in just one week

cwdignus

cwdignus

Carpe diem
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
André Akkari got a bank loan to start his journey in poker, it's also a strategy, knowing English is good to earn money with advertising, the 7 years posting in English and reading articles on cardschat helped me to have good contact with English

cwdignus

cwdignus

Carpe diem
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I believe that a player here at cardschat can do everything MoneyMaker did, gain entry to the (WOSP) world championship from a small amount and come out with 1st place, anything is possible for those who believe ... those who believe always achieve

A

allfarewells

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
English is not atall essential, as for buy ins if you are starting with a small bankroll already there is no reason you cannot build it up if you have the skill set of a pro right? It’s not about jumping into the $1050 and $5000 tourneys straight away it’s more to do with winning firstly and managing the bankroll you do have to create a steady income you don’t need thousands to start…. Rome wasn’t built in a day and neither was a bankroll my friend, stick at it and hopefully somewhere down the line you’ll actually be a pro and won’t have to fantasise about it.

Much love
Danny
🙏❤️

juan1579

juan1579

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I think that learning English is not as important as mastering poker and having a bank, they are very important

Aleksandr1991

Aleksandr1991

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
her how professorial it boiled, yes and there is no money either :ROFLMAO:

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is very demanding. I would prefer playing recreationally unless I get fired from my job and have no choice.

D

dompoker

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would like to be a professional poker player, and travel to other countries to play poker.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
While I would love to play professionally I cant. For 1 I am nowhere near that good, and I just love playing the game and to be a professional would mean poker becomes work.

heguli82

heguli82

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
Not lucky enough to became a pro :cool:

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I definitely think I can play as a professional, what I lack for that are two things. mastering english and mainly money to enter tournaments.
I purposely am trying not to be a professional poker player. Even if my earnings from poker exceed my day job (accountant), I will never quit my job to play poker. The pressure that goes with being a pro is not something I would choose to sign up for. ;)

kitchy65

kitchy65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I definitely think I can play as a professional, what I lack for that are two things. mastering english and mainly money to enter tournaments.
How much have you won so far?

ebazynski

ebazynski

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
While I have no illusions of being more than the recreational player I am and will always be, I always try to approach the game seriously and look to improve.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can only play recreational poker, because I don't think I would like the life of an online professional poker player with all the pressure of winning money every month regulary. I prefer to keep as a hobby and have my regular job income.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I don't understand how mastering English would help? Is it difficult to find enough study materials in your native language? (I would think not... not if you're from brazil. Brazil has the largest number of online pros in the world these days).

If one is good enough to play professionally then money shouldn't be the thing that is keeping you from doing this.
1.) Invest a small amount & then build it up to a large enough amount so that you're bankrolled for the stakes you feel you need to play at, in order to make a living at the game.
2.) If you're a good player, it will be easy enough to find a backer (< someone who would be willing to invest in you).

Myself
At times I've thought I might want to play semi-professionally.
I have a decent grasp on the English language (have read probably close to 100 poker books... still have a few newer ones I haven't read yet). And I am currently bankrolled for Low STakes MTT's (but can I even beat them at a decent win rate? ... or even
I've studied poker a fair bit... but not enough lately tbh. (although I still do put in a couple hours each week)
I've played quite a bit.

BUT, I lack the discipline to do what I feel is necessary to be successful at poker these days.
I also don't know if I have the mental fortitude to handle the variance while playing MTT's.
I am not capable of putting in the long sessions required for MTT play as I am caring for my very ill partner.

What I do know is, it takes A LOT of the things I've mentioned to be successful at online poker. It is a difficult venture! If it was easy, many people would be doing it (many more than there are today)

Last edited:
Mihail Grinvich

Mihail Grinvich

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I definitely think that I can play like a pro, but I lack two things for that. English proficiency and mainly money to participate in tournaments.
For me, like most players, poker is a hobby. I play poker for about 7 years with interruptions. I do not consider myself a professional, but a player with some skills and little experience. If you were a professional player, the question of money would not arise.

staytrue001

staytrue001

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I play for fun, but when I win money it makes me very happy