Common Misspellings: A guide to help you look good!

pezjb

pezjb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
going - ex. i am going to school today.
gonna - not in the dictionary

drunkenness - ex. i am in a state of drunkenness after 14 1/2 beers
drunkeness - not in the dictionary

its - something that belongs to it
it's - it is

odds - ex. cards come out based on odds.
rigged - ex. poker sites are not rigged

mrrigel

mrrigel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
@#$%^&* a name you would call a player who fished you
a sshole a name you would successfully call a player who fished you

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I realise a lot of regulars have contributed to this post so this might not be a popular opinion and the thread has become a lot more humorous as it has proceeded, which improves it somewhat. However, to be honest, who is here to learn how to spell?

Pedantic, self-indulgent and unnecessary.

An off-topic thread at best.
Realize - to comprehend - "When you get to be around this forum for a while, you will realize that many people have an interest in presenting themselves in the best way possible. It helps their posts to be taken more seriously."

jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think all people have an interest in presenting themselves in the best way possible . what that is might be different for different people.

we come from all places in the world , we come from all walks of life , we are different races , we are all here for the same reasons, poker talk and advice ,and friends .

Judge Not , Lest you Be Judged .

I do think this is a good thread , started in a helpful way ,for people wanting to do better,me included. if we didn't get it in school , I'm not sure we will now either , but thanks for trying. :)

Last edited:
Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Jay, it's meant in a light-hearted way. We all know everyone makes mistakes. :)

Here's my contribution:

Slain: past participle of slay; to kill (He was slain by the superior female poker player.)

Slained: not a word

jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know , I know , just got carried away , after so many threads about proper this and proper that . it's a fun thread , I said it was a good one. some people really are learning something too. :)

KJo - king ,jack,different suites

KJo - jay sometimes

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Realize - to comprehend - "When you get to be around this forum for a while, you will realize that many people have an interest in presenting themselves in the best way possible. It helps their posts to be taken more seriously."
Realise is correct.

People aren't likely to stay around the forum for a while if they see this thread.

Nexar

Nexar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this makes a lot of sense maybe ill win at scrabble next time

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Realise is correct.

yeah, although just to clarify, both realise and realize are correct. realise is chiefly british i think, and americans almost always use realize. both are words, neither are wrong

Thewebmaster

Thewebmaster

Freeroll #2 Winner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You touched on something there combuboom

Hi all,
This could also be a problem as there are american as well as british players here, some words are spelt differently although they sound the same, others are spelt the same although said differently. I noticed americans tend to say bastard while I say barstard cos i'm from essex england,lol

Then what about the same word yet it has a different meaning from england to the US, i've got myself in quite a few situations in the past with my american wife because of the almost opposite meanings sometimes eg:
Bum = england = your arse (ass in america )
Bum = america = a hobo (tramp in england )
Tramp = england = someone who sleeps on a park bench (hobo in america )
Tramp = america = whore, prostitute
Fag = england = cigarette
Fag = america = a gay person

There is tons more but I think it's probably getting a little off topic but you understand where this can go, then again it could get quite funny,lol.

American tourist advice : When traveling to england you will undoubtedly enter London, the next thing you will probably encounter is a tramp (hobo) he will probably approach you and ask "can I bum a fag mate?" the translation for this is "can I have a cigarette if you have one spare please?"

Tony :)

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Realise is correct.
Not according to Yahoo Reference, which is taken from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language. I think folks are more likely to take the word of a dictionary publisher over anyone else.

Dictionary Search Results for: realise - Yahoo! Education
robwhufc said:
People aren't likely to stay around the forum for a while if they see this thread.
Nice opinion.

I thought you said you "usually dont bother reading" my posts and now you are quoting them. LOL! Do you really want to start something with me, Rob? I think you know it won't be pretty if you do. It would be a good idea for you to just leave it alone.

JAMILE1

JAMILE1

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
American tourist advice : When traveling to england you will undoubtedly enter London, the next thing you will probably encounter is a tramp (hobo) he will probably approach you and ask "can I bum a fag mate?" the translation for this is "can I have a cigarette if you have one spare please?"

Tony :)

LMFAO Web, this thread is funny as hell to.

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah, although just to clarify, both realise and realize are correct. realise is chiefly british i think, and americans almost always use realize. both are words, neither are wrong

CB is undoubtedly correct on this. I have three dictionaries here, all of which list "realise" as being the correct spelling, although one also shows "realize" as being an American variant.

Once we start getting into spellings, it`s important to realise :p that there are a considerable number of words where Americans use (and are completely comfortable with and regard as normal) spellings which differ from standard English and would be seen as incorrect in the rest of world.

And yes, I know we have had that debate before, so please let`s not hijack the thread. Was just offering a clarification. :)

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have three dictionaries here, all of which list "realise" as being the correct spelling, although one also shows "realize" as being an American variant.
Thank you.

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"teh" = "the" typed really quicky.

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
quicky = quickly typed really quickly.

(sorry, I just can't stop doing it :( ).

Wondered if anyone would spot that one ;) Didnt think it would be that fast though.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Gotta vouch for the American/English thing - my husband kills me at scrabble when I challenge his spelling and he always turns out to be right lol. The first few months we met and were exchanging emails I really thought he had a spelling issue - there are a lot of words they spell differently. Using an s in place of a z is very common.

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
CB is undoubtedly correct on this. I have three dictionaries here, all of which list "realise" as being the correct spelling, although one also shows "realize" as being an American variant.

Once we start getting into spellings, it`s important to realise :p that there are a considerable number of words where Americans use (and are completely comfortable with and regard as normal) spellings which differ from standard English and would be seen as incorrect in the rest of world.

And yes, I know we have had that debate before, so please let`s not hijack the thread. Was just offering a clarification. :)
Yep, I agree. I guess I'll have to take what I read on the internet (and in published dictionaries) with a grain of salt.

Also, I think I'm done with this thread. I originally meant this thread to be purely helpful for anyone who needed it or wanted it. But this and other threads like it that have spawned have turned into snipefests by people who think that the people on this forum don't need this kind of help. I am very sorry it has turned out this way. Quite sad. Ya'll have fun with it, though.

PS: I once had a boss who didn't have much of a clue about how to use the phone system we had in our building. When important calls would be transferred to her, she'd accidently hang up on them. One day, I tried to teach her how to use the phone system so she wouldn't lose these important calls. But instead of taking help from a subordinant employee, she told me "Just mind your own job." Now she has been demoted and transferred to a poorer location. I wonder if her incompetence had anything to do with it. Hmmm.

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I understood where you were coming from with this thread, Sticky. It seemed to me a nice (though probably doomed) idea.

And I can certainly relate to this:

PS: I once had a boss who didn't have much of a clue about how to use the phone system we had in our building. When important calls would be transferred to her, she'd accidently hang up on them. One day, I tried to teach her how to use the phone system so she wouldn't lose these important calls. But instead of taking help from a subordinant employee, she told me "Just mind your own job." Now she has been demoted and transferred to a poorer location. I wonder if her incompetence had anything to do with it. Hmmm.

Reminds me of a conversation I had recently with one of my friends. His Company operates a generous employee benefit programme which includes paid time off and assistance with college tuition fees for those who wish to improve their education.

Complaining that take-up of this offer is disappointingly low, he said to me, "Nobody can help being born ignorant. Choosing to remain that way is unforgiveable."

K

Katt1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This is not a common misspelling, but rather humorous.

feisty = spirited, spunky
fiesty = nope - not a word

The problem is that a player named herself Fiestymiss instead of Feistymiss. Pretty bad when you can't spell your own name correctly.

rainsoaked

rainsoaked

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, I'd like to play (ever mindful of typos and ironies :). One that bugs me is 'weary' for 'wary'. Weary = bone-achingly tired; wary = cautious. About English vs American English: I love 'grey' and 'colour' and many others the spell checker doesn't like. Used to be in a writing group that was more UK than US and the differences in the language are lovely, imho.

aries41271

aries41271

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Soul - deeply felt emotion, as conveyed or expressed by an artist or performer

Sole - the bottom of your shoe