ZenonBR

ZenonBR

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I've always seen players smoking cigars and drinking whiskey when playing poker in classic films.
This combination brings status to the game or suits poker, what’s your opinion?

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think this is an old and very outdated image of Poker players that was generally linked to the old west. Watch matches of today's big Poker names and you will see that the profile of the Poker player has changed a lot.

ZenonBR

ZenonBR

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think this is an old and very outdated image of Poker players that was generally linked to the old west. Watch matches of today's big Poker names and you will see that the profile of the Poker player has changed a lot.
But let's agree that they were very classy!

Rost

Rost

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I've always seen players smoking cigars and drinking whiskey when playing poker in classic films.
This combination gives a headache, high blood pressure, and loss of money. Players who don't smoke and don't drink have much more chances of success and this is primarily due to good health.

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I smoke, unfortunately. A terrible habit that has been ruining my life for many years. I tried to quit many times, but I started smoking again and again. I'm more than sure if I didn't smoke I would definitely have better results because I would definitely have better health :(
Film and life are different things. Do not waste your time and health on cigarettes and alcohol, it is better to devote your free time to sports, it will definitely help you become a more successful player.

vnnby

vnnby

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
for me no, but others decide for themselves) I don’t need a cigarette and whiskey to enjoy poker)) I need a good game with a strong opponent))

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
If you have the opportunity to drink whiskey and smoke a cigar, from the outside you look presentable, somewhat romantic and attractive, suitable for poker.

pep12343

pep12343

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I think it's a stereotype that is left behind over time. I wouldn't recommend playing poker while under the influence of alcohol, it's a game of concentration and alcohol would alter it.

C

Comboss599

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's only an image of movies. Rarely but it's happen i watch tournaments on tv and i've never seen this kind of behavior. It's stereotype.

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As for Me, no any cigars and whiskey during play in Poker! Only a good coffee or tea with tasty dessert! To each-his own!

fryderyk

fryderyk

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
It does not matter. Every addiction brings theoretical relief and a feeling of peace, which is why smokers and alcoholics reach for stimulants to control their emotions.

N

NotADonk

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I smoke, unfortunately. A terrible habit that has been ruining my life for many years. I tried to quit many times, but I started smoking again and again. I'm more than sure if I didn't smoke I would definitely have better results because I would definitely have better health :(
Film and life are different things. Do not waste your time and health on cigarettes and alcohol, it is better to devote your free time to sports, it will definitely help you become a more successful player.
Try switching to vaping. It isn't anything like as bad for your health and you can gradually switch to lower nicotine liquids in order to quit.

Ataman911

Ataman911

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Well, that's only in the movies, I think it will be mixed with alcohol

YLAN

YLAN

Sida Nga Taraki
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Smoking & drinking whiskey after the game whilst pondering the leaks that need patching & lucks that need remembering.

P

Peteski84

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
For me definitely, thats my drink and i do enjoy a cigar or two on occasion. A good single malt scotch on offer at the time, hopefully +40%. Something like, Talisker skye, (45.8%) or Bunnahabhain (46.3%).
I have no suggestion on cigars as the common cheap cigar is all i ever get. Would love to get some proper cigars at somepoint but wouldn't know where to start on what to get.
I quit smoking early this year for the first time, after nearly 30yrs of smoking and was totally clean for nearly 6 months. The addiction had passed and I felt no need for one, even on darts night with my brother and father who both still smoked. At first was hard but got easier and easier as the days went on.
I started smoking again only because i missed having a cigar with my glass while playing poker.
I wish i didn't restart but from quitting i realised that i enjoy smoking, it wasn't just to look cool. Lol

ZenonBR

ZenonBR

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
For me definitely, thats my drink and i do enjoy a cigar or two on occasion. A good single malt scotch on offer at the time, hopefully +40%. Something like, Talisker skye, (45.8%) or Bunnahabhain (46.3%).
I have no suggestion on cigars as the common cheap cigar is all i ever get. Would love to get some proper cigars at somepoint but wouldn't know where to start on what to get.
I quit smoking early this year for the first time, after nearly 30yrs of smoking and was totally clean for nearly 6 months. The addiction had passed and I felt no need for one, even on darts night with my brother and father who both still smoked. At first was hard but got easier and easier as the days went on.
I started smoking again only because i missed having a cigar with my glass while playing poker.
I wish i didn't restart but from quitting i realised that i enjoy smoking, it wasn't just to look cool. Lol
Regarding the issue of cigars and whiskey, I brought up the topic just because of the stereotype of classic films, not that I agree, but I found this combination curious, I don't know if there is a safe limit for this, or if there is a way to manage it, but it is certain that this combination is not necessary.

Well that's it.

Last edited:
Nintendo

Nintendo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Whenever you have free time and are not rushed in any way really.

Dzill_230

Dzill_230

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In movies, they don't show tournament poker with cigars and whiskey. Quite the opposite. But a cash game, with a select group, contributes to the image. Good alcohol, cigars, and the game - you enjoy it all. I agree that it's a stereotype and it helps the game less if you're determined, it's more of a relaxation.

P

Peteski84

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Haha, i am not doing this to copy anything or anyone and certainly not for approval. This is personal preference not an imitation. This is just me, i like, i enjoy.
Whisky is my drink and i smoke.
I play poker everynight to pass time. I play with a roll in hand and a flask at my side. The flask is only there for bubble purposes (a sip for making it and one for every time value increase) and there are days when the sweet nectar inside doesn't even touch my lips.
If i have been doing well through the week i may smoke a cigar during my weekend evening games with a nice strong glass of scotch. Good times.
Every week on either friday or saturday i play darts with my dad and brother and we drink for every clean 60 (3×20), everything 100+ and a few other random one off challenge targets.
We usually finish a 70cl bottle, and get most the way through another on a good night.
Whisky is belta (great).
Drink responsibly.

chicbulls2

chicbulls2

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
Cigars go wuth poker, but alcohol less so

ShaDoWGuarD

ShaDoWGuarD

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Honestly, in my opinion, any alcohol or drug does not combine with a professional poker game at all. Well, think for yourself, you need to focus on the game and have your mind working at 100 percent, and then you decide to drink something a little harder. It is only in films in modern realities that there are such combinations. As for cigars, I'm not sure who's better off...

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Since I don't smoke and I don't drink,It's hard to give an opinion, where I usually play live it's forbidden to smoke, as for drinking I've seen it a few times, I don't agree usually people can stress

ztibor72

ztibor72

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
It is certain that whiskey does not increase the ability to concentrate. :)
And cigars are quite an unhealthy habit.
Today's habit is more energy drinks, which are also not very healthy above a certain level.