Chess and Poker

Fahrenheit451

Fahrenheit451

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am playing poker for some years, but I'm a chess lover even much longer time.
These are so different games, one with complete information available, other with partial info.
Which one is easier (for me it's chess)?
Does playing one helps playing other?
How many of you love chess?
Another thoughts?

Herkstwin

Herkstwin

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I used to play chess and even taught the basics to beginners for some time. Gave it up a long time ago. About 17 years ago I started playing holdem. The two never overlapped. For me, poker is easier - more mathematical, in my opinion.

StomatologT

StomatologT

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
These are so different games, one with complete information available, other with partial info.
Another thoughts?

I agree with you, I too have been interested in chess for much longer than poker. And of course they are completely different Worlds, as the world of chess requires more skills from you. As they say poker is 70% skill and 30% luck, while in chess only a 100% skill.

And I think when you play one, you can develop the other only in terms of diligence, that's what they have in common.:)

VITOS

VITOS

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Good question. So, let's figure out first with chess, why they are so in high esteem. Firstly, it is their visibility, I mean that this is a game with complete information, when all players see the moves and actions of the opponent. In principle, chess, unlike poker, is a game where it is simply impossible to deceive an opponent. Secondly, psychology is very important -there is probably no more annoying and disgusting feeling than losing at chess. In this regard, chess attracts a person much more, because a person connects himself with his intellect, which cannot be said about poker, because no matter how professional you are, your skills only increase the probability of winning but will not affect the output of the desired card in any way. Poker is just a game, and the funny thing is that in this game you can make money literally out of thin air, do you think someone will like this arrangement? Some miner earns money by hard work, and you play cards and earn the same and even more.In addition, the state has almost nothing to do with your activities, which means it has no need to support you.Of course, you will say that everyone pays taxes, but it's one thing when you give money, and another when money and your workforce.

Poker is a game of deception, your task is to present your cards in the best or worst light in order to win money.And deception has always been perceived by people as a very poor quality. Probably because none of the people can accurately determine whether you are lying or not. The most important thing is that poker teaches you to cheat, and this is probably the most terrible thing, because in modern society, liars and liars do not cause much attention.
Psychologically, playing poker requires very strong endurance and self-control, your brain must walk on a string so that you play without fear of losing everything. In fact, you need to have a heart of steel to be like Stu Unger. In addition, you need to be able to manipulate people, you need to make them think a certain thing to win.

L

LetterRip

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The discipline of chess analysis is useful in poker in analyzing your play and planning your hand. Many players simply play street by street, but if you have a plan from the flop for various runouts you will play at a much higher level; similarly if you have a plan in advance of what you will do vs various actions - you won't be in emotional reactions to things like a checkraise as often; or a donk jam on the river.

Igor G

Igor G

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I can't play chess. Although I have no doubt that this is a very interesting game. Chess is too difficult a game for me. And in general, I think you can learn to play poker much faster than chess. You just need to be patient, attentive and disciplined.

SopianaeExtra

SopianaeExtra

between my 2 ears
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Purely my opinion: Chess is a (mind) sport, Poker merely a game. To compare these two would be as ludicrous as drawing comparisons between soccer and playing Fifa on your PS.

For me Poker has always been the easier (and funner) pastime, because I think the efforts to become really good at it are much lower than at Chess.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Chess and poker are 2 completely different games,chess is more complex and is part of the Olympic game,l personally don't like chess,there is a lot to think about.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play both chess and poker, but as others have mentioned: I feel like they are separate games with no real overlap. The only major connection is that both games feature some strategy element, but how they manifest in the game is very different (poker is is more about minimizing your risk and adapting to the table whereas chess strategy is more based around patterns and long-term plans with zero luck element to minimize).

I've played chess fairly seriously for almost 5 years now, but poker I've only played about 2 years and even that is almost entirely through cardschat :D

If anyone wants to discuss chess, play a casual game or two or similar, then feel free to message me. I also play on a few online sites, but chess.com is my main site. My username there is KeSetoKaiba if anyone wants to send a friend request - let me know you came from cardschat and I'll probably accept your friend request :)

R

Redman1902

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I also first played poker and later became interested in chess. For me, poker has more the character of a game, while for me the approach to chess is more like solving a puzzle.

What unites these two games in my opinion are certain basic personal requirements (mental components like patience etc.) that help you in both games.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I play chess as well as poker at an amateur level !!! Due to incomplete access to information, poker is less predictable, but this does not make poker easier to learn, on the contrary, a psychological factor is added to all possible combinations !!! So it turns out that human psychology plays a very important role in poker, but in chess this factor is much less pronounced!!!

Stringy

Stringy

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
recently started playing chess but been playing poker for a while, so poker is currently easier for me

ChubbySin

ChubbySin

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Another thoughts?

Poker is easier to me, I respect chess, however I never felt in love for chess :/

Lipki3

Lipki3

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
In a way, these games are similar. I even once created a branch on this topic. In chess, I fall short of the CM level, but I can resist and sometimes win against players of the CM level.

afecho

afecho

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Interesting topic. I do enjoy chess and feel like it is a challenge to plan future moves and the opponent's future moves. Maybe because I'm still so new to poker, I don't find I am able to plan future moves like that at all. Poker is more an in the moment game for me.

Fahrenheit451

Fahrenheit451

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Secondly, psychology is very important -there is probably no more annoying and disgusting feeling than losing at chess. In this regard, chess attracts a person much more, because a person connects himself with his intellect, which cannot be said about poker, because no matter how professional you are, your skills only increase the probability of winning but will not affect the output of the desired card in any way.
For me it's quite the opposite :)
I know that I'm not a chess champion and I cannot win everyone. So if I loose - that's OK because that my opponent played better. Even if I loose because of terrible blunder I cannot blame no-one but me.
In poker, I frequently feel (seemingly) injustice when opponent who (in my opinion) plays stupid wins because of luck. Theoretically, I now about variance, probabilities and that stuff, but I feel bad all the same.

Fahrenheit451

Fahrenheit451

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Another difference, at least for me.
I play chess just for fun but poker - for money.
There is some beauty in chess, but poker is all about money.

C

Clutchdenier

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Ive recently got into chess and its very enjoyable to play - I think the transferable skills for chess such as thinking ahead really helps in poker for considering how to play hands on all the streets and also to calculate your opponents moves/behaviour of play.

Also traps in chess translates to poker efficiently IMO - you can tell by the behaviour of a player by basing their previous hands and can make it easier to understand more specifically the range of hands they may be holding.

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
my preference is poker, I don't have an admiration for chess, I have many wonderful and little bad experiences.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Both poker and chess are great games. I also love chess, but I've rarely played it lately. At the moment, poker is a more promising game for me.

K

Kicsike10

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The discipline of chess analysis is useful in poker in analyzing your play and planning your hand. Many players simply play street by street, but if you have a plan from the flop for various runouts you will play at a much higher level; similarly if you have a plan in advance of what you will do vs various actions - you won't be in emotional reactions to things like a checkraise as often; or a donk jam on the river.

N

Negan92222

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Another thoughts?
I love chess

hsimonyan

hsimonyan

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As a child, I was not very fond of poker, I was interested in chess and football, reached the 1st category in chess, but then I fell in love with football very much, and gave up chess, I do not regret it, but I still play it:)

A

Amdrius

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Another thoughts?
Many professional players came to poker from chess, some played backgammon. And this makes sense, because in all these games, as in playing poker, you need to assess the situation well, have a plan for the subsequent drawing, and much more. I played chess for a long time, but at the moment I haven't played it for more than a few years, because I lost interest in it.