Chess and Poker

Jancianna

Jancianna

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the main difference is that in one you can do good even if you are an utter idiot as long as you are incredibly lucky and the other you need to know what you are doing and luck won't help you.

Odysseus101

Odysseus101

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've played a lot of chess, and lots of poker too. I'm probably a better chess player than poker player.

There aren't a lot of transferrable skills. If you're good in chess, you'll have a logical and strategic mind, mental discipline and patience. These are good things for poker. But being good at chess doesn't mean you'll be good at poker; perhaps it means that you could be good or that you'll improve faster.

I don't have an opinion the other way around, but the whole concept of "being able to think five moves ahead" is very overblown and thrown around by people who don't play chess or play not very well.

G

gkiss0719

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is very similar in the two games. Both must sense, logic, predictability.
Chess is perhaps more relaxed and there may not be a bluff.

I

I2jr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In poker, the study is indispensable to make a jump in quality in the game. In chess, the learning sessions of openings, finals and strategic variants are also required. Above all, its most dedicated practitioners share the use of statistical tools to analyze weaknesses in the game, one of the least intuitive needs for anyone who comes to poker for the first time. Still, there is still a certain elitism among practitioners Of chess, rooted in the great difference that jumps to the naked eye between the two games. A correct play in the chess will never cause a weakening of the position, because luck has no place among the 64 squares.

Finally, and this is the real reason for the great percentage of success in the adaptation of a chess player to poker, in both disciplines you have to overcome the levels of thinking of the rival. The deception, the masking and the sacrifice gradually outnumber the positioning as the middle phase of the game progresses.

V

vassiriki

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i also play both and see some similarities between the two but there are also some different distinctive qualities. still, i firmly believe the strategy in chess helps poker for decision making situations. although poker is played against many players where your opposition number is limited to one

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
These are two great games. Good exercise for the brain.

U

UrsinusMaximus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Since Chess is a complete information game, computer programs can provide definite answers for most cases (there are a few exceptions such as fortresses...) But most mistakes in a chess game can be easily diagnosed after the game, where as in poker you will be left wondering forever whether you made a correct laydown or not

V

Vonick

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
there is no connection between chess and poker.poker is more close to backgammon than chess in my opinion!!!!

rdwr33

rdwr33

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In my opinion poker is more difficult than chess, but I want to make it clear that although I read something about chess I played very seldom and I'm no expert, just an admirer. What I mean is that by poker being an incomplete information game it goes beyond any open game. Although the chess develop strategies depending on the style of the opponent, it is still a clear game and even if it requires a lot of concentration and psychological preparation, should not get close to poker on the psychological issue.

jfofla

jfofla

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
POKER AND CHESS

You think that a good chess player who uses strategy and reasoning would be a good poker player or not, I think poker also requires rationalization and strategy so that the person can be a good player.

Fernanda37

Fernanda37

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chess dont have the luck porcentage, so I think that one thing does not influence other

Z

ZingyT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chess is a game of strategy based on "complete" information. You can see every piece and know where they can move etc.

Poker is a game based on "incomplete" information, not knowing your opponents hole cards, how regularly they bluff, etc.

Both require fast thinking and being able to keep different "lines" in your head (lines of attack in chess/ lines of hand progression/betting in poker) but they are very different.

And poker also has varying degrees of "randomness/luck" which chess does not.

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
chess and poker are passions to me too, but they re totally differents, from chess, you can use your sportive agressivty, observation, concentration subjective aspects which are not exclusive caracters from chess...

Ivab

Ivab

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play in chess and poker. He engaged in chess to 14 years. All players must have a strategy for the point. Also disciplined chess players. If you are good at playing chess, then you undoubtedly an intelligent man. And of course, learn to play poker will be easier than others.
In these games, a lot of similarities. But I would not link them together. Poker separately, chess separately.

S

Sacredoro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In poker there is a randomizing element (the shuffle) and incomplete shared information. Luck governs the randomizing element.
In chess there is no randomizing element and each player has full access to the same information (the position on the board) at all times. That necessitates experience, maturity, or skill, but rarely luck.

grinya774

grinya774

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are many differences between them. In chess you have one opponent in poker a lot, in chess there is no bluff and many other things.

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I never did play chess. I like poker better.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker and chess fit in one concept - intellectual games. These games do not require any physical development. For players sharpness of mind is a priority over physical strength.

vadimknyshov

vadimknyshov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chess is the smarter game. but in online chess you will not get a profit)

Doblador bus

Doblador bus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good agreement I am a regular player of chess where you also need patience and strategy

Timur23rus

Timur23rus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys. Who wants to play chess? Join into our chess club.
Let's have some fun! :)

itarus

itarus

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
chess and poker are kind of similar in a way, but also so different. one of the biggest differences I see is the luck factor...
Very I agree. I also love to play poker and chess.: о

itarus

itarus

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Chess is the logic.
Poker is a tactic.

Poker requires a flexibility of thinking, the ability to take into account many of the underlying factors of the game and the behavior of competitors.

Poker is a cool game!

Jauheni Danilenka

Jauheni Danilenka

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chess players in poker at least problems with incontinence and no fever