Calculated Risk or Luck?

P

Pelicanvisions

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you think poker is more calculated risk or luck or both ?

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Like this post above. Not going be able come close to that. See opposite ends of the spectrum in the OP statement. One you know what the expected outcome should be and the other you have no clue how you got there. Yep, wallet is still there.

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The expected outcome is the calculated risk. If it's positive you should take the risk and if it's negative you shouldn't.

Luck is the end result one way or the other. If it beats the expected outcome that's good luck. If it falls short of the expected outcome that's bad luck.

If you make a decision with an EV of $10 and the end result in only $5 you had bad luck. OTOH if you make a decision with an EV of -$10, which is a bad decision, and then the end result is -$5 you had good luck.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
Exclusively, the calculated risk. I am not used to relying on luck, I only take risks when I see that I have a real chance to win.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
Both of these components are an integral part of the game of poker. I believe that the success of a player depends on his skill, experience and only then luck.

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
both things are represented, expectations are the risk and outcome is partly a luck

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Long-term, it is almost all calculated risk and poker ability/skill with very little luck that is inherent to the game. Short-term, it is almost all luck and less to do with poker ability/skill.

In my mind, poker will always be about risk management and understanding people and situations. There is pretty much always a "calculated risk" in the game, but some plays are more risky than others :D

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It all depends on the player !!! For fish in poker luck and risk prevail - for a good player poker is skill !!!

77ecos

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you have to make calculated and strategic movements and luck will always influence the result, doing your job you will have more victories than defeats, luck sometimes in favor others against but the main thing will always be your way of playing:jd4::jd4::jd4::jd4:

jleon_zat

jleon_zat

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe that the hand must be analyzed. From the beginning. if you think you have a chance to win you bet

P

pablo2020

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends on whether you play a lot or a little, apparently playing calculating the risks produces better long-term results.

C

Csharp123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker luck or calculated risk

I think it's 60/40 calculated vs luck.

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Whether poker is luck or a calculated risk or luck really depends on how you play the game. I've always said luck is the cards that you are dealt and skill is the way you play them. When each hand is dealt, you should be calculating the risk or possible reward of playing those cards. That risk should be calculated before taking action after each card is dealt. Should. That's not to say that every player does. Some players will continue on in hand as long as there is a card in the deck that can possibly help them, without bothering to consider the probability of hitting those cards. These people are not calculating risk. They are relying on luck. I try not to rely on luck. I try to make the best decision after calculating the risk.

L

Lina1020

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's knowledge that matters the most in poker, although there are times when it takes luck to succeed, but if the stronger hand always wins, it wouldn't make sense. :)

O

Orman Nelson

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If calculated risk = positive EV then the greater the number of instances the less "luck" is involved. If you are a 2 to 1 favorite, that is huge, but you still will lose 1 of 3 over the long haul. It is very conceivable that over the short term you could lose more than you should to variance. So while long term it is profitable, you are still mathematically supposed to get run down sometimes. So, if you are an occasional player who plays just for fun and doesn't care to study, I say gamble if it's what you do. You may win, but long term you will feed the poker community, which is greatly appreciated..

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Almost everything has to do with calculations ... less luck.

gallora

gallora

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are not lazy and take your statistics for a long period of time, then your numbers will not differ from the average statistical. So luck is just a nice addition. Everything else is probability theory (mathematics).

BlackJesus

BlackJesus

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You win the hand it is calculated risk,
your opponent wins it's luck.
Anyone tries to tell you otherwise, watch your wallet, you are being hustled.

It's hard to say it better.

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good afternoon.In this game,first you need skills and then some luck..

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Notwithstanding a long arc for perspective, the two are equally weighted. In the longer term skill and sensible play will out (or rather should out).

I just played a session which was short and sweet (well bitter sweet). I was in a light mood which helped with the thrashing I received. In four tourneys I was being dealt rags and then would receive a strong hand.Every single hand I played ran into the nuts or was rivered in a ludicrous manner. Four tournaments four busts with barely a single winning hand.

It would not matter if it had been me or a top pro playing the hands. It was a laughable run of poor luck. However, when I run good I also accept that this is just what it is, run good. Quite often, play has little to do with my skills.

I try to drop the ego on the good days and recognize the difference between running well and playing well. For some extended period I have thought any given session is a coin toss.

So at this point luck and skill are evenly weighted with skill hopefully giving us the edge in the longer term.