Bubble Puss

Is folding pocket aces on the bubble defensable?

• Yes. Making the money is the most imortant thing.

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • No way. Play to win!

Votes: 30 78.9%

• Total voters
smd173

smd173

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here is how he finished:

(courtesy CardPlayer.com)
Ed Pellegrini Eliminated 11th ($70,000)
Ed Pellegrini gets all in for his last $97,000 preflop with A
heart.gif
K
heart.gif
from under the gun. Amir Shayesteh makes the call from the small blind and shows K
diamond.gif
K
spade.gif
. The board comes 5
club.gif
heart.gif
club.gif
spade.gif
Q
heart.gif
and Pellegrini has been eliminated from the tournament.

The question is...if he hadn't layed down the Aces, would he have finished higher than 11th?

elmo_24

elmo_24

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i don't think i'd have it in me to fold pocket aces let alone 3 times.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That makes my soul hurt.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He didn't fold them after the flop. He folded them pre-flop.

reglardave

reglardave

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold Aces, then go allin with slick? Seems kinda back assward to me.

A

andres_arg

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the only way i would to fold with pocket aces, is in a final table of a satellite with 8 entries.

H

HeadShot

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
At the very least he should have called all three times. He may have hit trips aces. Or like he said the 5's came out.

I can understand in certain situations. Folding AA if you were calling all your chips to a raise pre-flop and there's a player that is all-in anyways next blind.

But even then I wouldn't do it myself.

H

HeadShot

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Here is how he finished:

(courtesy CardPlayer.com)
Ed Pellegrini Eliminated 11th ($70,000)
Ed Pellegrini gets all in for his last $97,000 preflop with A
heart.gif
K
heart.gif
from under the gun. Amir Shayesteh makes the call from the small blind and shows K
diamond.gif
K
spade.gif
. The board comes 5
club.gif
heart.gif
club.gif
spade.gif
Q
heart.gif
and Pellegrini has been eliminated from the tournament.

The question is...if he hadn't layed down the Aces, would he have finished higher than 11th?

That's a very good question.

I think he should have played them and worked himself a huge stack for the final run.

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He wasn't going to play any hands.

I'm sorry but I wouldn't have folded the aces there. If I go out on the bubble with aces then I go out. I mean how many times do you think you're going to get them? It is the bubble so if you simply push every time you get then you do have some fold equity since no one else wants to go out either.

M

Madness_does

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bubble or no bubble, that is a hard call that guy made, howard leeder I think I spelled that wrong, he said if you have to worry about money when your playing poker, then you should not be playing the game of poker, I think he is right, I would have called pocket aces, common its the best hand in poker, the odds of doubling up and going all the way are way too great, like the other poster said, this guy should not be playing poker at all, granted he did come in 11th place, those aces could have made the difference between 11th and making the final table, I would have never folded those aces, I would have push then in all in and hope like hell someone doubles me up, even if you were too loose with the aces, it was still the right call to make. What I think would have happened had he went all in, I think he would have taken the blinds. Dumb dumb move on his part, your that close and get 2 monster hands like that. Sounds too me like this guy is more scared not to make money, than he is just playing the game. Great info for all of us though so that good news, this is a damm good post.

Last edited:
S

Segundo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
With pocket aces, is very difficult to fold, exactly in bubble. In contrast I find that it has that to play high.

DeadoneD1

DeadoneD1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you fold pocket aces, what hands do you stay on?

Now thats funny!!!!!!

I get tight around the money..but that is frigging TIGHT!

i never lay down AA pre-flop...never

G

ginNjuice

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what a donk, i'd never fold aces, ever ever ever ever ever~in a preflop situation that is. there's so much money to be made on the bubble it's ridiculous. it's blind stealing fun for all those who have the balls~apparently not this guy. yeah....he's a donk

12skin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can see why the guy did it. It is pertaining to something that happened back 25 years ago, and has been haunting him ever since. His AA got busted with a set of Jacks. Now every time he sees AA he relives that horrible beat and since he was 1 away from the money, he decided to wait it out until one more person broke, and then charge ahead at full speed. To me that is not cowardice, that is strategy.

Some say go for first or go home broke. Alot on here say to make moves even if you miss the bubble, but 9 times out of 10 when I do this I lose my chance at the bubble. I find if I change my strategy up to (I call it Playing for third) make the bubble, then I can change gears and go hardcore for the win. Otherwise, I just wasted all that time and money and have nothing to show for it.

I know other people are also playing for third, and that you are supposed to get aggressive and take pots, but it never seems to work that way for me. All that happens is I try to steal and get raised, then I call, and I have lost 1/4 of my stack on one hand. Meanwhile, the guy having 400 chips left keeps gaining on me. And I am not folding to them, they just are luckily catching cards on the river. This is the hardest part of the game for me. I guess I need to read Harrington's other two volumes to learn what to do next.

G

ginNjuice

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can see why the guy did it. It is pertaining to something that happened back 25 years ago, and has been haunting him ever since. His AA got busted with a set of Jacks. Now every time he sees AA he relives that horrible beat and since he was 1 away from the money, he decided to wait it out until one more person broke, and then charge ahead at full speed. To me that is not cowardice, that is strategy.

nope, still a donk