Beyond NLHE -January Chat Thread

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He got lucky in hand 1 with the 3K's but we don't know when he drew them since the site shuffles the cards when displaying the showdown.
Given the action on 4th street, he was deffo rolled up.

That might have been a well calculated raise based on the lack of seeing spades hit the board before the river.
Doesn't really matter how live his draw is... villain obviously has at least has kings up and we're behind. Bet/call 6th IMO.

EDIT - Didn't see the site shuffles the hole cards. If we have aces, a low draw, and a flush draw, we obviously bet/call 6th. Here's a troutulator sim giving villain a range of Kings & 5's, buried fives, and rolled up kings:

7 card stud/8 sim, 1000000 trials
Dead cards: 4d Td Ah Ad 2h Qs

Hand 0 range: rolled | split KK, kickers: offsuit 5, 2-flush 5 | wired pairs, offsuit: 5, 2-flush: 5
Exclude card ranks: none

Hand 0: xx xx Kc 5s 7d 8d --: EV 57.8% - scoop 44.2%, WIN/LOSE/TIE % hi: 71.4/28.6/0.0, lo: 0.0/0.0/0.0
Hand 1: As 4s Ac 6s 8s Kd --: EV 42.2% - scoop 28.6%, WIN/LOSE/TIE % hi: 28.6/71.4/0.0, lo: 34.7/0.0/0.0

Obviously if seat 6 had a low made on 6th, we just bang & re-bang until we're out of money.

My question is for Skold: You don't complete the A5_4s on third? I realize that if Seat 3 is solid or laggy, he's going to be raising your completion a lot and making this a heads up pot when we'd like to go multiway.

However, if you limp and the ace completes, none of the high hands are going to come along anyways. I kinda think that since you're peeling 4th when you brick a lot, I'd be inclined to just go ahead and complete this. Or are we at the stage where completing into an ace tells everyone how strong we are, and that we have 3 suited babies, 456, 345, 234, AA_4, or 44_4?

Last edited:
skoldpadda

skoldpadda

Caveman Eye Surgeon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
He got lucky in hand 1 with the 3K's but we don't know when he drew them since the site shuffles the cards .

I think the play on 4th and 5th makes it clear he started with rolled Ks. He put himself in a position in both hands where he is effectively getting freerolled. In the second hand, I thought he had TT under when he raised 6th.

c9 -- I was hoping to check raise 3rd since the Ace was behind me and thought the chance of his completing 3rd was high. My strong hand plays well multi-way as well so it's not a disaster when I don't get to check raise 3rd. The hand is strong enough to work through a brick on 4th, but yes ideally I definitely would prefer more money to go in on 3rd. I think also people are more inclined to call 1 completion but not a completion followed by a raise. I think the better play is to try to trap some money in the middle by getting those players to call the completion and then potentially folding to more action on 3rd from me and the Ace. Either way, it's probably close and not a big mistake either way. And as you mention, I like the extra value of disguising my hand. Had I known I'd be HU with the fish I would've definitely just gone ahead and completed 3rd.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm the ss w M < 3, stud 8, dealt A23r (A up card) in CO, utg (chip leader) showing an A raises. No other A's, 2's, or 3's are up, though two 4's are up, everything else is higher than an 8. Folds to me.

Fold, call, or raise? I don't have a lot of scoop potential, but I've got to play a hand so I'm reluctant to fold, but I'm not happy calling when it represents such a big chunk of my stack.
What is an "M" in a game with no blinds? I'd rather just have effective stacks in BB.

Usually you want to raise his completion here to get heads up if you're not deep enough to fold when you brick 4th, and maybe you can get him to fold 4th when he bricks if you have some money behind.

You want to play in such a way that you maximize fold equity, and get heads up. The last thing you want is another hand coming along robbing you of your equity in either pot. In a cash game, when the antes & brings in represent a small part of our stack, you want to let others in & make a big draw, and maximize your implied odds. In a tournament, the antes, forced bet, and the raisers completion represents a huge chunk of our stack, and so you want to maximize the chances of winning that, especially without showdown. If you just call, and let a four or high card in, your chances of winning half with a rough low or a small pair goes down a lot.