Best way to make a profit

BlackJesus

BlackJesus

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Zoom tables are simply BURNING money.
Cash games are buring money, but less than Zoom.
The money is in tournaments, trust me. It may not seem so at the first glance for a player who is not used to play final tables, but in a bit longer term one is about to realize - tournaments are the way to make money in poker.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Regarding sites where to play - it very much depends if market is regulated in your country and if so which platforms are legal and which not. I personally always play on platforms licensed in my country as it gives some kind of additional security. I play in pokerstars as it is the biggest site, regulated in my country and have best variety of games and highest numbers of players. Other people prefer smaller platforms as sometimes the players field is softer there and you can more easily make money.

Regarding the game type - you should try and see what works best for you. I personally prefer MTTs as they make it easier to follow bankroll management (you only risk your buyin). Some people prefer cash games instead. Third type of players like fast paced action like spin and go. You should test and see what best suits you.

RVTR7777

RVTR7777

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You want to create a solid bank and play for fun; I believe that first you need to understand that to be a profitable player, and to have a solid bankroll it takes a lot of effort, you will have to spend a lot of energy.
Think about where you want to go and head in the right direction. Profitability requires study and more study.
:captain:

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My advice to you is to play where you are more comfortable playing and more profitable. And most importantly, follow the bankroll rule and then you will have less problems with money.

david1bear

david1bear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everyone, I am creating this topic because I found myself again in a matter of where I should play, someone who would like to create a solid bankroll, someone who plays for fun and not professionally.
In your opinion and experience; tournaments, cash tables, zoom tables ... What is the best option? :p
Howdy, From my little experience i would say Tournaments are a better way to stack. Playing tables can be a fast way sometimes but your money can also go as fast. In a tournament you can play small and win big, plus if you play well it will take up a little of your time where your not putting to much of your money out there. Just make sure to play one tournament at a time:O) Good luck out there and keep grinding :O)

franken222

franken222

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tournament Play

Hello, all:

It's been my experience that if you want to lose your money really quickly, cash, or zoom play is the way to go.

If you want to play for pleasure, stay away from all the hawks that are out there, and enter low cost tournaments, or, even better, free tournaments. (There are many on CardsChat).

I've found that the best strategy is patience. Take a look at the hand rankings, and wait for the really good ones to come up.

You won't make a heck of a lot of money this way, but you'll get into the money more often, and have FUN doing it.

That's how I see it, anyway.

Good luck, all.

TulasMoreno

TulasMoreno

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
Patience and study a lot, good players have profit couse they study this wonderful sport all days, thing that not most of the players do.

pokergopher

pokergopher

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everyone, I am creating this topic because I found myself again in a matter of where I should play, someone who would like to create a solid bankroll, someone who plays for fun and not professionally.
In your opinion and experience; tournaments, cash tables, zoom tables ... What is the best option? :p

Your best option is to try a little of each. Keep very detailed notes on your buy-ins and your profit/loss. Your own data will tell you what you are good at. Good luck on the felt!

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you want stability, then play cash games. I think, that cash games are chosen by players, who want to make money.

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Some people do well in cash games, some people seem to have a playstyle better suited to MTT's. Find what you like best and excel at.

Zoom is basically just cash games but more competitive than cash at any given limit. There is less emphasis on exploitative play (unless you have a lot of hud histories on everyone), and more emphasis on optimal play and exploiting the population tendencies. So if your jam is just repetitively playing "textbook" poker than Zoom is a good choice. Your winrate at zoom will be lower than your winrate at cash games, but each zoom table is the volume equivalent of 3 regular cash tables, this is why they attract stronger competition looking to make fast profit. Also great if you don't have the patience to wait for hands, but can get dull and repetitive because there is little room for reading other players, and the essence of poker is reading other players.

MTT's are your easiest option but variance is high and you can go long stretches without making it to the money. They definitely require the most patience. The flip side of the coin is the variance can work in your favor and you can still win even against more skilled players. This certainly isn't the case in cash games (or zoom) where you can leak chips pretty quickly against a table of solid players.

Sit and go's in my opinion are great if you prefer tournaments but want a stable ROI. However as a result they are also more competitive than MTT's since they attract more regs.

Cash games offer a nice medium and will help develop your "real" poker skills and exploitative play.

Spin and go's are kind of like crack and you should stay away from them. They have biggest variance you can have with holdem, your return on investment will more than likely be minimal. They are a ton of fun though and I'll do one every few days just for the heck of it.

Last edited:
umyt

umyt

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play to relax after work if I win then super