Best jobs compatible with a poker playing lifestyle

C

celtics33

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1)What jobs do you think are best suited for a poker playing lifestyle?
2)Now that Covid19 has become part of our lives, today and very likely some part of the future, what jobs/investments would you recommend that would potentially not be effected by such events?

Herkstwin

Herkstwin

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
The best job for a poker playing lifestyle is one that allows the player to keep playing poker at whatever limits they want, without going broke.
Ideally, that job would be 'poker pro', so the lifestyle would be the job.
If a player cannot make a living playing poker, then their income better support their gambling habit.
My current job, and the last one I will ever have, is RETIREMENT. It is very compatible with poker.
My poker income will never support my lifestyle, so I must rely on my pension and any donations you would care to contribute. If you are so inclined just e-transfer as much as you can afford to;
all.my.poker.friends.are.donating.and.you.can.too@lotsofsuckers.con

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you want to be able to play more than just in the evenings or weekends some kind of job on shifts would be more appropriate. I worked on 12 hour shifts few years ago and you have 2 days on and 2 days off so you can balance between job and poker easier.

S

shurik8888

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best job for poker is freelance job. For example, being a translator, I can work and play simultaneously, if the work is not too complex or urgent.

Branimir84

Branimir84

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
Poker lifestyle? What does that even mean,... If you go poker pro, then that is your job, you grind every day. If you are a recreational poker player then any job that can financially support your habit.

A

Airles17

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sports trader is quite interesting.

I invest and
to be profitable, you need to be patient enough to find a good quote, and in the long run it will pay off.

C

celtics33

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker lifestyle? What does that even mean,... If you go poker pro, then that is your job, you grind every day. If you are a recreational poker player then any job that can financially support your habit.
i understand what you are saying, but the question in hand was targeted towards a recreational poker lifestyle meaning having a regular job and playing poker. Im not too sure any job as you say is suited to be compatible with playing poker regularly. its not about the money, its mostly about the time. for example if you are a doctor working at a hospital, working many hours, on-call every other day, bearly getting enough rest and seeing your family, I would think it would be hard to fit poker in there regularly.

C

celtics33

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sports trader is quite interesting.

I invest and
to be profitable, you need to be patient enough to find a good quote, and in the long run it will pay off.
interesting concept. when you say quote, what exactly does that mean? are you buying sports items?

ramdon p358

ramdon p358

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
1) I can tell you that the jobs in which you can choose the work schedule, I am a dentist and I choose my schedule; this does not affect my game. 2) I think that online poker itself is ideal, you play from home and you don't have to expose yourself to COVID-19. GL

C

celtics33

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best job for a poker playing lifestyle is one that allows the player to keep playing poker at whatever limits they want, without going broke.
Ideally, that job would be 'poker pro', so the lifestyle would be the job.
If a player cannot make a living playing poker, then their income better support their gambling habit.
My current job, and the last one I will ever have, is RETIREMENT. It is very compatible with poker.
My poker income will never support my lifestyle, so I must rely on my pension and any donations you would care to contribute. If you are so inclined just e-transfer as much as you can afford to;
all.my.poker.friends.are.donating.and.you.can.too@lotsofsuckers.con
lol@ email :) im not just ready for retirement yet, and to be honest even when i reach that age i will probably be part of some business project. retirement is probably has the best compatability with poker though!

Transcendence

Transcendence

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think any job is suitable. If only there were 3 days off.

S

Szachajevy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
office job can be compatible if you have your own space and nobody is waching you all your work time :D

Dkerridge14

Dkerridge14

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
2)Now that Covid19 has become part of our lives, today and very likely some part of the future, what jobs/investments would you recommend that would potentially not be effected by such events?

Literally anything. Money is to be made in millions of ways, write yourself a list and you will easily find 10-15 answers to your own questions.

Realistically it’s all about how you want your lifestyle. Do you want to be a poker pro? Do you want to further your career? Would you want to expand your knowledge in multiple different areas. The best poker players will have knowledge in different areas, try focussing on something analytical or numeric based. I suppose if you play more live poker the career where it involves human psychology is going to be a useful tool. Even sciences such as physics are going to help you because they divulge from math. Expose yourself to as much as you can and you shall only benefit

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
I think freelancers are the best option for a combination of work and poker. I am a civil servant, and I usually only play poker in the evenings and on weekends. As for investments, I am inclined to the conservative option and think that it is best to invest in gold.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I work as a driver, and it is hard for me to combine poker and work. But in general, poker is a hobby for me, so if I have free time, I take part in freerolls without hesitation. Now, due to quarantine, I have more free time, and I am happy to spend that time playing poker.
Good luck.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

From coaching many students I find the jobs most compatible with poker are ones that are either seasonal or ones where the player is in charge of their schedule. Jobs that center around investment principles also tend to keep the mindset in the right place for playing poker

-Seasonal Work
-Contract Work
-Real Estate Agents
-Investment Manager
-Internet Marketing
-Pro Gamer / Streamer

These are the ones I've seen that are most conducive to playing a good amount of poker as well.

Nathan Williams

Nathan Williams

Poker Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I worked a low paid extremely boring office job for several years before I went pro. I don't really recommend working for somebody else though.

As soon as you can start working for yourself, in any capacity, you should start doing it. Ideally of course that means a full time poker pro (if that is your dream), which is what I eventually did.

S

sweeper21

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say doing part time jobs so that you can schedule work around your poker playing. You can try teaching privately or doing other side gigs like uber driver.

Mati532

Mati532

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
The ideal is to work for yourself, that is to say, self-employment, that would be ideal, you would organize your work time and times to play poker.

DanyDiablo

DanyDiablo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Night guard of a deposit would be a good option. Good hands

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Of course, this topic is already many years old and everyone is already going to work, I'll just say when there were those periods, we all worked remotely and studied, too, there was a lot of work for call assistants on the Internet, or hiring people combined jobs in the same way blogging brought income