Bankroll needed to become a pro?

T

tacobe14

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
PE
Chips
If I want to play poker as a job, not as a hobbie, how much money does my bankroll has to be?

franciscomos

franciscomos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion and based on my country, you will need about $500 monthly to quit your job :')

Dzill_230

Dzill_230

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It all depends on what limit you're playing at. I may be wrong, but not so long ago I saw information that there are about 100-200 buy-ins. I'm not dissuading you, but all right, pro life is not honey. Good luck!

CollYan

CollYan

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Poker is a game... don't ruin your life.

Canaldo Kao

Canaldo Kao

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
If I want to play poker as a job, not as a hobbie, how much money does my bankroll has to be?
If you are a very disciplined and rigorous person, with little money or in some applications starting from scratch you can make poker your main job!(y):unsure:

M

mssmotilda

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This requires not the size of the bankroll, but the level of skill.

rvnhss

rvnhss

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
The more money you have the better. It's easy to be a pro poker player when you're already rich.

Having 2 years worth of money to live off is a safe start. After a year of playing you'll know whether you're making money or not. You could probably go smaller but with a lot behind you, it's easier to play poker. You don't want the thought of "I need this win or I'll have to start living off noodles" when making a hero call.

But the best advice I heard was, take a holiday from you're job (if you're still working) for 2-4 weeks and play how you'd play you would if you were a pro. Not all weeks will be profitable (so the more weeks you take off to assess your winnings the better), but if you made more than enough over that time to live off, you're in a great spot.

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Start with the freerolls, check how much you are winning in how many freerolls you participated in, build your Bankroll first without using a penny, and most importantly, make poker your fun, your hobby and live in peace, good luck and success

Nikon10000

Nikon10000

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
Determining the size of the required bankroll to play poker as a full-time job depends on several factors, including your playing style, skill level, preferred type of game (cash or tournaments), and desired income stability.
In general, it is recommended to have a bankroll large enough to minimize the risk of losing all of your funds due to fluctuations in poker.:cool:

ninocabral

ninocabral

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
this will depend a lot
For example, there are players who play big so their bankroll has to be very high, but there are players who make a living from poker playing micro, so there is no right answer to this question.

R.Melnyk77

R.Melnyk77

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It's not about money. It's a matter of skills, patience and discipline. Until you understand this, the size of your bankroll won't matter.

Toruk Makto

Toruk Makto

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Se eu quiser jogar pôquer como um trabalho e não como um hobby, quanto dinheiro meu saldo deve ter?
Dude, first of all you have to understand that there is a lot of variance in poker, in fact it doesn't matter much the amount you start but its consistency until you are able to earn a fixed income per month with poker! In my opinion $500 is a good bank to start with...

R.Holynskyi

R.Holynskyi

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think it depends on your stats and your results. In addition, it depends on your lifestyle. For some, 1,000 dollars a month is enough, and for some, even 10,000 is not enough.

Academico

Academico

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Determining the appropriate bankroll size for playing poker as a profession rather than a hobby is a critical aspect of managing your poker career. The size of your bankroll should depend on several factors, including the stakes you intend to play, your playing style, and your risk tolerance. Here are some general guidelines to consider:

1. Stakes Played: The stakes you play at are a crucial factor in determining your bankroll size. As a general rule, it's recommended to have at least 20 to 30 buy-ins for the specific stake level you're playing. For example, if you're playing $1/$2 No-Limit Texas Hold'em, you'd want a bankroll of $2,000 to $3,000.
  2. Playing Style: Your playing style also affects bankroll requirements. If you're a tight, conservative player, you may experience fewer swings and need a smaller bankroll compared to an aggressive, loose player who takes more risks.
  3. Game Variance: Different poker variants have varying degrees of variance. Games like No-Limit Texas Hold'em and Pot-Limit Omaha tend to have higher variance than Limit games. Higher variance means you'll need a larger bankroll to withstand the ups and downs.
  4. Win Rate: Your expected win rate is another crucial factor. If you have a high win rate, you can get by with a smaller bankroll because you'll be less likely to go broke during losing streaks. However, if your win rate is lower, you'll need a larger bankroll to mitigate the risk of going broke.
  5. Risk Tolerance: Your personal tolerance for risk is essential. If you can't handle the possibility of losing your entire bankroll, you'll need a larger safety net.
  6. Other Expenses: Consider your living expenses, as poker will be your primary source of income. You'll need a bankroll not only to play poker but also to cover your daily living costs.
  7. Bankroll Management: Implement strict bankroll management rules. Many professional players suggest never risking more than 2% of your bankroll on a single table or tournament. This helps protect your bankroll from significant swings.
  8. Goal and Time Frame: Consider your long-term goals and the time frame in which you want to achieve them. A larger bankroll can provide more stability, while a smaller one may lead to faster progression but higher risk.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, the more important question is, how much savings you need. The poker bankroll is supposed to be money reserved for poker, which allow you to continue playing through periods of bad luck. So the size of your bankroll largely depends on, which games you play. But if you need to withdraw money each month to pay your bills, then the balance in your poker account is not really a bankroll. So in top of the bankroll you should also have significant savings, so that you only need to withdraw poker money, when the balance in your poker accounts exceed the required bankroll by a significant amount.

For me personally I would want to have money set aside to cover at least 12 month of living expenses. This also gives time to regret the plan and find a job, if poker is not going as well as planned. Or even 24 month of living expenses. Honestly the more the better, since it will give less stress and allow you to focus on studying and improving rather than worrying about, when you are going to run out of money.

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
You need what you get paid at work for at least 2 years.
The more money you have the better. It's easy to be a pro poker player when you're already rich.

Having 2 years worth of money to live off is a safe start. After a year of playing you'll know whether you're making money or not. You could probably go smaller but with a lot behind you, it's easier to play poker. You don't want the thought of "I need this win or I'll have to start living off noodles" when making a hero call.
2 years money? So it has to be atleast 10k right (probably more than that) ... :unsure:

Mag_P1e

Mag_P1e

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
You must have a “financial cushion” for at least 2 years (at least food and bills), and also have 500 buyins of your limit - this is the minimum. So good luck, I hope everything works out for you!💪

Mag_P1e

Mag_P1e

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
2 years money? So it has to be atleast 10k right (probably more than that) ... :unsure:
It also seems to me that this is exactly the minimum supply of money that will allow you to develop in a calm, productive atmosphere, and not “on the brink of survival.” Especially if there is a family that needs you.

luckyfish98

luckyfish98

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
you don't need 100K right away to be a professional, you can do it with patient work and a small amount of money

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips

How long is a piece of string?
It's an impossible Question to answer! You and only You can answer correctly, because it all comes down to You and what you are comfortable losing,
gambling in any form is a risk whether you are Playing Poker, or the Stock Market's. Investing $1,000 Dollars in a company and doubling your money is nice, but when you start telling yourself that you should have invested $10,000 Dollars, and you go broke over night could be disastrous.
Work out how much money you need each Week to pay the bills, Feed yourself and your Family, House them and clothe them. Then multiply that by a Hundred and you might have a figure somewhat close to the size of your Bankroll.
Poker can be a Fun Hobby! But Playing as a Professional takes a lot more than just a huge Bankroll, Dedication and solid hard work studying and Playing every day, can soon turn into a nightmare, not a Dream!

Stanley Aguiar

Stanley Aguiar

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It will depend on your professionalism. There are people who need just one chip... But one piece of advice is: only make a living from poker when you realize that you no longer need another job.

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management