Bad Day At Tables

suiKAted

suiKAted

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hi all, i would like to know is it just me ,or dose any one else have a bad day or two at the tables ? yesterday i started out great built my stacks to like 7 to 10 or 11k an then all of a sudden start going downward , i dont know mybe i wasent playing my cards rite ,or they just got cold . an today , like i play about 4 tournys a day , i could not win a pot i even tryed bluffing an that didn`t even work , maybe i should quit fore a few days an see what happens , i wonder if the pros have days like that.so let me know if i`am the only one or not ?

SeanyJ

SeanyJ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It happens to everyone, it's called variance and if you play poker you're going to have to get used to it. Even the best players will have long downswings, a tournament pro might go 20 tournaments in a row without cashing, a cash game player could break even or even lose for 100k hands straight. It sucks but it will happen to everyone.

roids

roids

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am currently in day 4 of a 2 week break because of a slump. I know how it feels when you cant rake nething. yes a break would be a good idea.....

L

LizzyJ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel your pain. Don't doubt yourself or your ability. We all get cold decked and the moron who always sucks out keeps winning the pots. It's tough to lose 25 tourney's in a row and still be positive. IMO, this skill (and it is a skill) of protecting yourself during downswings can make or break a player.

For daily players learning to control YOU is just as important if not more important than the cards themselves. Learning to make good choices in terms of BR and table selection and self discipline plays such a HUGE roll in how you do at the tables.

Try not to get too down, your unlucky streak will end.

C

CardConnoisseur

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Look at it in mathematical terms. IF you have a few bad hands, this bad streak does NOT effect your next hand. A bad streak is only a streak. Meaning, you can say "I've lost steadily for the last 13 hours, should I wait till the streak goes away". The answer is, it already went away. Only a new streak can come. It's just like the fact that your last hand does not change the odds of your new hand. Seriously, the only reason anyone should take a break from poker is if they are mentaly exhausted, feel like they are going on tilt, or bored. Taking a break hoping it will kill a bad streak only works if the bad streak is caused by the way you're playing because of tilt. Like you said, you "tried to make some bluffs" to make things go your way. Would you have normally made these bluffs in the first place? If not, you let the bad streak get to you. Maybe a few days off would help you clear your head. But yea, it happens to EVERYONE, just don't let it get to you.

PattyR

PattyR

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well honestly if its affecting you that much than
you should probably take a break for a little while

like someone said it is variance and it comes along to all poker players
gotta give it time n wait for a new streak to come along, and it will come along eventually

pokerjdud

pokerjdud

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i have found it helpful to start my day with a couple of sit n go's to see how that works, if it goes well , then i will proceed to play some tourney's and then maybe some cash games. If not, i will just quit untill tomorrow, it takes alot of self control.