Ask Me Anything (Dusty Schmidt aka Leatherass in the well)

B

bubonicplay

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You guys do realize LA has shortstacked in the past right? Not judging at all as you do what makes you the most money and turning down a sponsorship just because they allow people to buy in for less on SOME tables just seems kind of silly. And icemonkey9 is seems your question is really a more veiled "do you have any insider information on whether Stars will raise the min buy-in? If you don't tell us we will have to assume you are a sell-out and abandoned your principles!" or at least that's how I read it.

icemonkey9

icemonkey9

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll wait for LA to comment and if he doesn't I'll make my final post about the matter later, there are already posts being deleted in this thread and I know how these things tend to turn out if you add fuel to the fire.

So ... I wait.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'll wait for LA to comment and if he doesn't I'll make my final post about the matter later, there has already been 1 post deleted in this thread and I know how these things tend to turn out if you add fuel to the fire.

So ... I wait.

FYP :p

belladonna05

belladonna05

belladonkin'
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Congrats on making ps pro sir and I'm sure you have now noticed some people here think more of themselves then of practicing tactfulness and good manners :p

C

custo80

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok people lets look at the facts here:

Icemonkey has asked clearly a difficult question for Dusty to answer because it holds 100% validation.

As stated in this thread, people believe Dusty hasn’t skipped a single response yet, and as you can clearly see he was written back to back comments for posts #430, then #432. COME ON PEOPLE. This was intentionally skipped and anyone that says otherwise is simply afraid to state the obvious.

If Dusty can not comment for personal reasons or even business reasons and simple “no comment” would suffice, at least acknowledge the post. If you’re going to start a thread which has the words “ask me anything” in the title, don’t get surprised when something uncomfortable to talk about is raised.

This is a valid point that has been raised and I want to see the answer aswell.

Skipping a question because you may sound like a hypocrite isn’t as bad as avoiding telling the truth.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok people lets look at the facts here:

Icemonkey has asked clearly a difficult question for Dusty to answer because it holds 100% validation.

As stated in this thread, people believe Dusty hasn’t skipped a single response yet, and as you can clearly see he was written back to back comments for posts #430, then #432. COME ON PEOPLE. This was intentionally skipped and anyone that says otherwise is simply afraid to state the obvious.

If Dusty can not comment for personal reasons or even business reasons and simple “no comment” would suffice, at least acknowledge the post. If you’re going to start a thread which has the words “ask me anything” in the title, don’t get surprised when something uncomfortable to talk about is raised.

This is a valid point that has been raised and I want to see the answer aswell.

Skipping a question because you may sound like a hypocrite isn’t as bad as avoiding telling the truth.

I would agree if I hadn't seen him do this 20 times already ITT. He'll often skip questions that requires more than just a yes / no / thanks comment but he has ALWAYS come back and picked those questions up on his next posting spurt. So yeah, if he doesn't answer on his next visit you have a legit "complaint" but until then it's all about being patient.

Last edited:
C

custo80

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would agree if I hadn't seen him do this 20 times already ITT. He'll often skip questions that require more than just a yes / no / thanks comment but he has ALWAYS come back and picked those questions up on his next posting spurt. So yeah, if he doesn't answer on his next visit you have a legit "complaint" but until then it's all about being patient.

I will mate don't worry :). Just don't like people getting flammed when they are asking a question. Not fair imo. We'll see what happens in the next 24 hours.

Edit for WV - I think Harlan is checking out my daughter lol

Kasanova King

Kasanova King

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To dmorris & dakota - how can LA *literally* write "the number one problem with online poker is shortstacking" and then say it must be a "relatively minor principle" to him??? Are you kidding me? And to write something like "taking food out of his family's mouth" is the biggest exaggeration of the year, thank you for making me lol at that.

That's about the dumbest comment I've read on CC in a while, so congrats for winning that award. There's no jealousy at all, I think I have an absolutely 100% legit point here. I'll stay patient and trust Dakota & WV's point that he probably skipped it because I trust and respect those members. I mean really KK, you think I am "just jealous" OR is the truth that I respect Dusty and am asking him to comment on a valid issue? Your attack on me doesn't invalidate my argument one single bit pal.

Ok, I may have come across a little strong and I really didn't mean for you to take offense. I basically came across in the same fashion in which you are coming across in asking the question - which in my opinion, has underlying reasons.

Now I'm not trying to invalidate your argument but at best I find it to be an almost mute point. Up until 2 months ago, the "other" main site, full tilt poker, also allowed short stacking and it was just as bad, if not worse there. Just about every other popular site besides Full Tilt allows short stacking.

So what are you really asking sir? Are you asking Dusty why he has joined a site (who happens to be the biggest site in the world) which is in the majority with all the other sites in allowing short stacking or are you asking him why he didn't deny poker stars (where he plays the majority of his poker anyway) and hold out until the ONLY major site that doesn't allow short stacking offered him a sponsorship?? I mean, how silly can a question get?

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As WV and dakota pointed out, Dusty has answered everything but not always in sequence. Be patient.

Also stop the de-rail of the thread imo - ice has a legit/reasonable question imo that has many possible legit/reasonable responses imo. fwiw, I very much agree w Dusty's opinions on ss'ing, and recognize the basis of ice's question as a result, though I can imagine alot of responses that I'll be perfectly happy with and am very content to wait for that response.

icemonkey9

icemonkey9

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like I said before, I'll wait for LA to respond before addressing my questions and their motives.

Just about every other popular site besides Full Tilt allows short stacking
What site is that bud? We know about FTP. Cereus Sites (AP & UB)? Nope. What about partypoker? Word is they are abolishing it REAL soon and I think that announcement already went out. Everest? No to them too, I read that announcement. I guess you meant iPoker. Okay, point taken, you are right, two sites allow it, pokerstars and iPoker. Oh wait - that's not a majority.

Anyways you're totally turning this into a personal attack against me when I want a legit answer and will patiently wait for one. If you want to flame me that's fine but I highly suggest you bring your weakass C- game up a level.

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe Dusty joined PS despite the SS's because as he himself would never play as a SS his presence there further dilutes the ratio of SS's to non-SS's and thus he hasn't given betrayed his own anti-SS's values but has instead decided to take the fight to their doorstep!

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
interesting stuff going on in here.....mo pwease

TPC

TPC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anyways you're totally turning this into a personal attack against me when I want a legit answer and will patiently wait for one. If you want to flame me that's fine but I highly suggest you bring your weakass C- game up a level.

LOL, Snap!!!

Yeah, not sure why everyone is hating on ice. He said himself He's a fan of Dusty. I think you all need to slow down and quit pointing fingers. We all wear our emotions on our sleeves at times, but lets just sit back and relax.

Ice asked an interesting question, maybe he could have worded it a little better but that's besides the point. And as many others have stated I'm sure Dusty will answer it when he has more time to do so.

Group Hug anyone?

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I really don't want to have to delete anymore derail posts itt. Ice has already said he is waiting patiently for Dusty's response. This is LA's thread, so give him a chance to answer if he so chooses.

I do feel obligated to post a quote from the OP:
Leatherass said:
I am pretty liberal about what I will answer, but if it is something too personal that I would prefer not to answer, I may choose to take a pass.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For the record, ice, I hope you understand my response wasn't a flame or attack on you. I merely suggested why I disagreed that Dusty sold out, but I also said it was my opinion and I respected yours.

Everyone, let's not continue to clutter Dusty's thread with personal attacks from either side. And for the love of God, I'd hope that we'd want to avoid looking like certain other forums at all costs. Dusty just decided to call CC home -- I'm not suggesting we don't ask him tough questions, but let's not jump the gun either. Ice has agreed to give Dusty time to acknowledge his question, so I hope we can stop the derail and let things happen.

EDIT: Ugh, took too long to get that thought typed out, now Wonder Woman has done some house cleaning! Hey WW, while you're at it, I have some cobwebs that need cleaning! *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge* :p

Kasanova King

Kasanova King

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really don't want to have to delete anymore derail posts itt. Ice has already said he is waiting patiently for Dusty's response. This is LA's thread, so give him a chance to answer if he so chooses.

I do feel obligated to post a quote from the OP:

Fair enough. I apologize for the thread derailment. I'll no longer post in this thread unless I have a question specifically for Dusty. Cheers. :D

ALL IN CLUBS

ALL IN CLUBS

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have a post announcing that you are now part of Team PokerStars Online and that you will be playing there exclusively.

I found this bit of information really interesting because you have gone on record saying you like to table select between sites as well as condemned the shortstacker issue which now only exists on PokerStars. I know you are aware of the shortstacker plague at Stars ... why would you endorse and exclusively join as a spokesperson a site that allows activity that you have publicly condemned? To me, it looks like you are either privvy to some information regarding the upcoming announcement in mid-April about the issue from the site OR you sold out in order to get some free live WSOP buy-ins and endorsement $$ from the site.
I would say Dusty plays mostly Pokerstars and seems to like most everything about the site. It's like joining any club or site ,golf club,poker site ,church,wedding , or Family reunion . You will always disagree with something that you join or go to its not going to be 110% your way even if you owned it. We should be fortunate enough just to have him responding
for free and giving us tips on our game.
( I say out with the Haters):vroam: Chris Kelly

***co-sign please

L

Leatherass

DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have read through the numerous recent posts. I would like this post to serve as an answer to all posts and am not intending to appraoch each one individually. First off I would like to kindly ask that we all stick to the thread title of asking me questions. I am more than happy to provide answers to any question I feel comfortable answering as I have been doing for over 3 months now in this thread. I realize some back and forth between you all is great and that is obviously encouraged on an internet forum, but maybe we can open that up in a different thread if anyone is still interested in discussing?

As far as the nature of my relationship with Poker Stars goes, throughout my career I have long considered Poker Stars to be the best poker room in the world and have repeatedly stated so in my blogs, even when I was at Stoxpoker which had deep ties to FTP. I have mentioned in the past that I do wish that short stacking wasn't allowed on Poker Stars since it is my belief that short stacking is a way to exploit people who want to play full stack poker and I also believe that if NL holdem is to be considered the "Cadillac of Poker," it must involve substantial room for post flop play.

However, I have also repeatedly said in my blogs as well as forum posts, that I believe that as a whole, Poker Stars does about a billion other things correctly and whether or not the short stacking issue is addressed, I could not be more proud or honored to be considered a part of their team. I think the company embraces a philosophy that is to treat their customers fairly and respectfully, which is why I can think of no better brand in poker to formally associate myself with. I don't think anyone should expect anybody to agree 100% with every decision any person or company they associate themselves with makes (heck, even my wife and I don't agree on everything) but it is best to look at the collective body of work and it is my opinion that Poker Stars is second to none and have said so long before I had an incentive to do so.

Please keep the questions coming and I am excited to keep this thread rolling and hopefully I can help you guys out with your games!

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How small an edge do you shoot for?

For instance if something is 51:49 in your favour do you get the money in or do you look for a better spot?

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I apologize if this has already been asked.

Did you start your online poker career with cash games or SNG's? Why did you start with one or the other?

joe steady

joe steady

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
how do you choose tables? Also, how long will you stay at a table if you're card dead?