Ask Me Anything (Dusty Schmidt aka Leatherass in the well)

L

Leatherass

DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I stumbled across this video as well the other day and thought it was a great idea!

So I finished reading your book just before the new year (got the e-book version)

Couple of questions

1. What was your plan B if you lost your 1000 initial deposit? (dont think this was mentioned in the book? If it was forgive my lack of memory)

2. What do you attribute most to your learning of the game? pure game time and getting a natural feel or learning theory from books then applying it?

3. Can you give us a description of what your 'poker war room' looks like (i.e. number of monitors, big leather chair, inspiring paintings or what not)

Thanks!

1. Seems like a good time for an Eminem quote. "Success was my only mother****ing option, failure's not."

2. An absolute complete life immersement in the game. I had no plans to ever leave my house until I figured out how to beat that game.

I think a lot of people get a tremendous disservice when they watch athletes or other people they look up to making the winning shot and thinking it is all about the glamour. Success is all about the preperation and I don't think very many people realize what goes in to reaching the highest levels at what they want to achieve. I am not exaggerating whatsoever when I say that I quite literally was not going to leave my home untilI figured out that game.

3. http://www.portlandtribune.com/sports/story.php?story_id=126462791458677700Here is a picture from a recent Portland Tribune Story

L

Leatherass

DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think your political views really came through in this post. As somebody who was 'the poor kid' in school at a very rich high school, I can agree with you in some points - but also as somebody who had the flaw of doing nothing to furthur his own life for about two years - right up to the verge of being out on the street - I can say from life experience something is to be said for somebody who is out to earn money. Now, keeping it all for themselves is one thing. Greed is excellent motivation for some people - however I believe it should be turned off once you are not in a setting where you are trying to accumulate money (not at work). What you do with the money, however - is each person's choice. I respect you because you are willing to get down and dirty and give your own money to help those less fortunate than yourself, which means you have the switch - you can turn off the greed when you're not working - and even work for other people, should you so choose.

However - wanting to have wealth and leave your loved ones with wealth when you pass - I'd say is no fault of character. But I'm sure the greed you mention is far worse. My Grandmother recently passed and the dispute over her wealth was ridiculous and lasted a long time - the greed of half my family showing as they fought tooth and nail for the last of her pennies - even though all of them would be well off - likely for the rest of their lives. So I agree - while my Grandparents had the greed to be successful in their business so to provide for their family long after they were gone (good), greed outside of a business aspect can be terrible.

Which brings me to my next point -

Haha. Also, I think I'll be buying your book. =P

Also - I just read the thread from first post to most recent in near it's entirety, just wanted to thank you for taking your time to come answer questions with us. This thread has been here a little while and I never stopped by - but I'm glad I did today, and wish I had sooner.

I would love to offer up a question but the other CC members seemed to harp on them really well. I think the entire concept of the book is something that a lot of players overlook entirely - yes - it's also a great way to make money. And if you evaluate the game from a business perspective - you're sure to be on the right track - and at the very least I expect to take away from it a few new outlooks for my poker playing.

Thanks again.

WG

I think you are absolutely right. People do have a right to hold onto it and pass it on to their loved ones. No question. Having said that, I would have to say I am not a huge fan of people who have $50M and make their kids wait until they are dead until they get any of it. Makes no sense to me, but even so, you are correct that people have every right to do that if they wish.

Read through the rest of your post and really apprecaite everything you said.

PattyR

PattyR

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. Seems like a good time for an Eminem quote. "Success was my only mother****ing option, failure's not."

this makes me like you even more.

eminem is my favorite artist ever :D

L

Leatherass

DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I ever grow up I want to be like you:D Wonderful person imho. Thanks for all the great advice and for taking the time to answer everyones questions. Going to order your book. Around the green what do you prefer, punch and run or chip?

Thanks so much for the compliment. I really appreciate it.

I am unique in that I use a 60 degree wedge from everywhere virtually without exception. My belief is that I would rather fly it around the hole because I can better control what the ball does in the air rather than bumping it along the green and leaving my distance control up to how the ball reacts as it moves along the grass. Not many play this way, but my short game has long been the best part of my game so I am going to stick with it.

L

Leatherass

DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dusty - just hired a 1v1 poker coach, done 1 session which has IMO already paid for the entire block of sessions in terms of increase to my winrate.

Have you ever considered mentoring players? Sorry if its already been asked :/

Also I know you have done alot of 1v1 with Jarod Tendler, I find his videos on stoxpoker to be a little confusing. And his 1 on 1 prices to be similar to my entire BR(playing 25/50nl), my question is have you discovered any other ways to improve your mental game that helped half as much as Jarod's teaching did?

I don't currently offer 1v1 poker coaching.

With Jared, I mostly just rely on him. I think naturally I had some good things in my mental game, but he is definitely the man in that area.

L

Leatherass

DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just wanted to drop in and say that the motivation that I got to grind from your book is nothing short of amazing. So far this year, I've grinded about 4 months worth of playing from last year. Thanks!

Nice! Keep it up.

L

Leatherass

DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just got finished reading your book and I must say it's really changed my approach on poker immensely. Only grinding cash games for a few months I never really understood how long a downswing could last. I'm going to look at the big picture more and actually set time to play poker. I'm going to take the hands approach and set a number of hands to play each day. Which will force me to grind through the bad times and also play more when I'm on a heater.

I've put a hole in a wall once and felt really silly about doing that over a run of bad beats handed out by a fish on a heater. After reading about all the computer equipment that you broke, I don't feel as bad:p . Which brings me back to, you need to look at the big picture while playing and don't let the downswings get to you, no matter how bad they are.

Dusty's book is a must read imo. It gives you a different look at the game that no other book offers. It's not going to teach you how to play the game, although there is a strategy section. But what's most important is how you "Treat Your Poker Like A Business." I've learned a great many things reading this book and look forward to the positive impact it will have on my bankroll.

Thanks!! Really appreciate it.

Sorry for the shameless plug :) but after getting so many great reviews, I can't help but think I am proposing a win-win situation when I ask people to check out my book. If anyone is interested you can get my book at http://www.dustyschmidt.net

L

Leatherass

DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is the best thing I have read in my life:

From Dusty's Book

I'm enjoying it. Apparently there was some database crash with your publishers and they are finally sending your book to me today and to compensate for that sent me the PDF version. Already on page 103 (where this quote is from) I'm enjoying it.

But I DO HAVE A QUESTION!!!

I saw you suggest 100 buy-ins for the games you play but, my only question is: How is that safe if you are playing 12 - 20 tables?

For example:
20 tables @ $10NL for example = $200

and if you have 100 Buy Ins for $10NL = $1000 - you are staking $200 at a time multi-tabling which is 20% of your bankroll with 100 buy ins. Just curious if there are other BR management things to consider when multi-tabling.

Thanks!! That was a chapter my wife wrote that was quoted by the way. She did a great job huh?

My 100 buy in rule is by far the most conservative advice in print. I am not a math expert, but I know that you are pretty darn safe with 100 buy ins no matter how many tables you are playing at once.

L

Leatherass

DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Have you played any rush poker since FTP released it? You thoughts on that? Would you welcome it at 1knl+ ?

I played Rush poker and enjoyed it. If it catches on and there is money in it then I am all about it. If there isn't money in it then you won't see me playing it. Pretty plain and simple :)

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Leatherass

DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Dusty Schmidt, your life story is fantastic, I am glad there are rich humble people like you who have a big heart, you are a fantastic person, I wish I could meet you someday, I am from Portugal.

1. Have you ever been in Portugal?

2. I will buy your book this year, I am a SNG player but I will apply your ideias to my poker business, I have a blog so I will continue to post the results there. Is it the "Raise" book a biography from you?

3. Do you think is good for childrens to learn poker?

4. How can a winning player build his bankroll to 7 digits in a secure way?

I do not have right now more questions, wich to you and your family the best!

Thanks for your time.

1. No. Is it nice?

2. Raise is somewhat autobiographical, but mostly I just wanted to share a story that many have told me could potentially inspire/entertain people.
I had so many people tell me that I should write a book on my life as well as countless magazines/newspapers rehash my story that I figured I may as well take them up on their advice. I am always hesitant to say I have an autobiography because I don't want to sound like somone who thinks he is all important, but from my perspective I keep hearing that I should write a book on my story so I just figured why the heck not?

3. I don't have plans to teach my child poker any time soon. I don't think people are really mature enough (although I am sure there are a few exceptions) to take poker seriously until at least 18 and probably older. I think if you witness the behavior of so many of the high school and college age kids who play high stakes poker you will easily understand what I am talking about. Or just read most posts on twoplustwo.com and you will see what I am talking about :)

4. Get really, really, really, really, really good :) Building a 7 figure bankroll doesn't just grow itself. I'm not sure it is really possible to do it entirely risk free.

Thanks!! You 2.

L

Leatherass

DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dusty I just want you to know that I think your book is a labor of love. I am new to poker and your book is my first poker book(I wrote the same thing on your facebook recently). Your positive energy is very influential and I am grateful to have caught some of it through your book and I feel it is the foundation of my poker aspirations. I hope to sign up at Drag the Bar soon and see you there. I do just have one question though. Did something go wrong for you over at 2+2? I noticed your "account banned by request". It seemed in a closing post in one of the threads that admin was dropping the hammer because they have books they are trying to sell and you were a threat. If this was already covered here at CC I apologize.

Let's put it this way. Why would I post on such an immature and hateful forum when I can post here on a site with you guys/gals? Seriously though, I just didn't see a reason to participate in a forum that is a like a cancer. I would rather be amongst civilized, decent people and that is why I have been posting so much over here. This is a great poker forum and hugely under rated.

L

Leatherass

DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So what's going to be in Vol. 2 this summer?

Well, I doubt there will be a volume 2 by this summer, but it is possible. We have a ton of projects currently going on with my publishing/media company, Imagine Media. I will keep you guys posted since I am sure you will be interested in the poker books we are coming out with. We have some really good stuff that I think the poker community will benefit from immensely.

As we complete those projects, we will then go to work on releasing volume 2. So far I have personally written about 1/3 of volume 2 so far and for now I am going to play it close to the vest and just say that I think I have some pretty solid material that can help as much or more than my first book, Treat Your Poker Like A Business. http://www.dustyschmidt.net

L

Leatherass

DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The CEO (post #260) of the mid-sized company wouldn't have been Jack Stack from Springfield Remanufacturing Company would it?

I used to work for that company and have personally met and fished with Mr. Stack. He also wrote a book called "The Great Game of Business". He is also just an all-around great guy who made something out of nothing. He was the Janitor in the company when it was going out of business. He bought the company with some friends and the rest is history. If you haven't checked that book out, you might want to. It's a great read on several aspects.

I should definitely give it a read. The guy was not your friend, however.

L

Leatherass

DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello Dusty, Glad you joined CC. My question is, how did you weed through the players to the higher stakes table? Did you use proper BRM? X

I never played a game that I didn't have 100 buy ins for. I played it close to the vest and believe whole heartedly that doing so is the way to go.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Uh-oh - he has caught up lol. Should we be selfish and post more questions? :)

PattyR

PattyR

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Uh-oh - he has caught up lol. Should we be selfish and post more questions? :)

i think we should :D seems as though he actually enjoys answering our Q's and giving his input/advice.

cant believe hes stuck around to make 110+ posts..very cool imo

Sean Pilgrim

Sean Pilgrim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Get him in the freeroll club lol... Maybe he'll join us for a game or two!

IveGot0uts

IveGot0uts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Guess I'll be "that guy" who gets the ball rolling again.

I just read the "Ace in the House" article. The more I read about you the more I feel motivated to stop being such a jackass an get back on track doing things right, in poker and out. Having 99% of a BA in Psych makes me interested in the psychology angle of things, especially as it pertains to the hero, not just what's the villain up to.

What kinds of things did you learn in your time working with the sport's psychologist? Specifically, what kinds of concepts and exercises did he teach you to apply? What would you say was the most important thing you learned working with him?

Do you need any promotion or other conceptual help with any of your endeavors? I'd be interested in using some of my down time that is not poker work to further the poker related philanthropy, and perhaps gain some interesting experience and connections. Feel free to PM.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dusty,

Bought your book on Jan 13th and haven't seen anything yet? I would have sprung for the PDF if I knew it would take this long, I'm finishing up my last poker book and was anxious to start yours! Is there a problem with meeting demand?

Also, a question about DTB: As you well know, Stox is taking some heat now over the Jason Ho incident, particularly with how they apparently failed to do their due diligence in vetting his claims before hiring him as a coach. How confident are you in your fellow coaches at DTB, and you willing to put your neck out to endorse them, considering your position as co-founder of Stox and the heat you've take yourself over the situation? I've been on the fence about joining a coaching site for awhile, and had almost settled on Stox since I'm making the FTPs to pay for it most of the time, but after this incident I'm not as enthusiastic about it. I see DTB has a 7-day trial now and I intend to check it out -- if I like I may subscribe, but I'm a bit gun-shy as to whom to trust.

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
After reading the post above and hearing how you feel about CC as a community, I want to ask this...

Are you going to hang around CC now? Or can you really not do that due to you being with DTB? And also, I would love to see you in a couple of our tournaments. I want to stealz your blindz!:D

L

Leatherass

DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dusty,

Bought your book on Jan 13th and haven't seen anything yet? I would have sprung for the PDF if I knew it would take this long, I'm finishing up my last poker book and was anxious to start yours! Is there a problem with meeting demand?

Also, a question about DTB: As you well know, Stox is taking some heat now over the Jason Ho incident, particularly with how they apparently failed to do their due diligence in vetting his claims before hiring him as a coach. How confident are you in your fellow coaches at DTB, and you willing to put your neck out to endorse them, considering your position as co-founder of Stox and the heat you've take yourself over the situation? I've been on the fence about joining a coaching site for awhile, and had almost settled on Stox since I'm making the FTPs to pay for it most of the time, but after this incident I'm not as enthusiastic about it. I see DTB has a 7-day trial now and I intend to check it out -- if I like I may subscribe, but I'm a bit gun-shy as to whom to trust.

Email info@dustyschmidt.net and they will send you an e book free of charge to hold you over until your book arrives. I am sorry it has taken so long, I am not sure what to attribute that to.

As far as the coaches at DTB goes, I really can't stand comment much about that because I did not hire anyone at DTB. If I hired them and personally vetted them, then I would most certainly stick my neck out for them. But since I am just a coach and have no control over that end, there isn't much I can say other than I know they were vetted by our CEO, Hunter Bick, and Hunter is one of the most stand up guys I know. I think Hunter is someone I would trust my child with and one of the main reasons I went with DTB was because Hunter had such a strong reputation. So I think you should feel very confident with DTB and I would very highly doubt you would not get plenty of value for your buck in the event you were to joiun the site. For anyone interested in checking it out, go to http://www.dragthebar.com

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Email info@dustyschmidt.net and they will send you an e book free of charge to hold you over until your book arrives. I am sorry it has taken so long, I am not sure what to attribute that to.
Thanks, but it just so happens that your book was delivered a few minutes ago, which prompted me to come here and update my post. I still might want to get a PDF though since I'm about to get an e-book reader. Wonder if they'll still give me one, or at least a discount, for my long wait? ;)

As far as the coaches at DTB goes, I really can't stand comment much about that because I did not hire anyone at DTB. If I hired them and personally vetted them, then I would most certainly stick my neck out for them. But since I am just a coach and have no control over that end, there isn't much I can say other than I know they were vetted by our CEO, Hunter Bick, and Hunter is one of the most stand up guys I know. I think Hunter is someone I would trust my child with and one of the main reasons I went with DTB was because Hunter had such a strong reputation. So I think you should feel very confident with DTB and I would very highly doubt you would not get plenty of value for your buck in the event you were to joiun the site. For anyone interested in checking it out, go to http://www.dragthebar.com
Fair enough, I appreciate your candor on the subject. It sounds like a good place to check out. Maybe after I take a little hiatus -- my run bad is killing me at the moment. I feel like I'm probably trying to make too many adjustments and it's hurting me, which is why I think I could use a good coach to evaluate my game.

I do have to say that, reading the Jason Ho thread at 2p2, it seems Jim from Stox has stepped up to admit and explain how Jason Ho got hired and slipped through the cracks, and that Stox will be making at least partial restitution for Jason's coaching fees (up to 2.5 sessions, apparently). At least that restores some credibility there.

KerouacsDog

KerouacsDog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

2. An absolute complete life immersement in the game. I had no plans to ever leave my house until I figured out how to beat that game.

I think a lot of people get a tremendous disservice when they watch athletes or other people they look up to making the winning shot and thinking it is all about the glamour. Success is all about the preperation and I don't think very many people realize what goes in to reaching the highest levels at what they want to achieve. I am not exaggerating whatsoever when I say that I quite literally was not going to leave my home untilI figured out that game.

3. http://www.portlandtribune.com/sports/story.php?story_id=126462791458677700Here is a picture from a recent Portland Tribune Story
I love that article, Dusty, you are a true gent, AND a top guy.
GL to you and your family.

One small question, do you sleep normally at night, like most people, or are you playing poker thru the night, and sleeping when the games dry up. Are you a degenerate night-player, like I aspire to be, lol????