Ashley Sleeth (Vegas MTT pro)- Ask Me Anything About Playing Poker

Ashley Sleeth

Ashley Sleeth

Professional Poker Player
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Ashley! You are a first professional poker I get the opportunity to interact with! So exciting 😁
How can one become a professional poker player?
Can I get an autograph? 😁😁😁
Hey Alpha!
Anyone can play professionally if they put in enough study time and play time to get better than their competition.
If we meet in person one day, you can certainly get an autograph haha ;)

Ashley Sleeth

Ashley Sleeth

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Ashley, welcome to community!

I have a question! How do you act at the beginning of the game, aggressive or conser? (tournaments)

Thanks.
It depends on how my opponents are playing. If they are going crazy and playing bad hands, I'll just play good hands and get max value out of them. If they're folding a bunch, I'll start to play more hands preflop and fold more often when they show aggression.

Ashley Sleeth

Ashley Sleeth

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello Ashley Sleat, nice to meet you.
You travel the world frequently playing poker events and are fluent in spoken English. In the event that I win a ticket to major live tournaments and fly to a country I do not know, without knowing English and having never participated in such live events, it is easier for me to adapt to such a situation. I don’t know how to speak, I understand little English, and at the table many people say something to each other. How in this case is it better to behave, embarrassment that you, like a white crow, can affect the game? What advice can you give to people like me to feel more comfortable?:)
Hi Tony! Good question. We have a lot of international players that come to Las Vegas. In my experience, if you tell everyone right away that English is hard for you to understand, most people will try very hard to help you out. So my advice is to let the dealers and players at your table know that English is your second language. They will have more patience that way. Don't be embarrassed. International players are common here :) Good luck!!

chinatowm

chinatowm

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
VE
Chips
Hello CardsChat members!

My name is Ashley and I am so excited to join this community. I have been living in Las Vegas for 10 years playing cash games and, more recently, tournaments. I currently play $5/$10 on The Strip and higher stakes on live broadcasts such as Live at the Bike. I'll be signing up for tournaments from $300 to $5k (with the exception of the WSOP Main Event, which everyone should try to play at least once!).

I have also traveled to attend poker events in many other parts of the world, including Europe, the United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, Africa and the Caribbean. I can answer a wide range of questions about playing live, traveling to poker events/series, playing on live broadcasts, or the poker lifestyle in general.

My goal in joining CardsChat is to inspire new people to play poker and to encourage those of you who have an item on the poker wish list to come out and do it!

Ask me anything:)
Welcome to CardsChat

AlphaCentauro

AlphaCentauro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Alpha!
Anyone can play professionally if they put in enough study time and play time to get better than their competition.
If we meet in person one day, you can certainly get an autograph haha ;)
Hopefully we meet at a table then 😉 😁
Thank you and all the best!

A

a1232

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
Hi Ashley! How many hours of learning and practice did it take you to get to a level where you (relatively) consistently make money at that stake?

How does playing online at that stake compare to Vegas live?

Knowing what you know now, what should someone starting out in poker learn / practice and in what order to have an edge at that stake as soon as possible?

Thanks!

IreAce

IreAce

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Ashley,

How do you study, and where/what do you recommend for MTT study do you think solver work is now a necessity in this day and age?

Last edited:
Ashley Sleeth

Ashley Sleeth

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Ashley! How many hours of learning and practice did it take you to get to a level where you (relatively) consistently make money at that stake?

How does playing online at that stake compare to Vegas live?

Knowing what you know now, what should someone starting out in poker learn / practice and in what order to have an edge at that stake as soon as possible?

Thanks!
Great questions!

1) I wish I had tracked how many hours of play and study it took from the beginning, but I'd guess it took a few years. I was only playing live and started playing before all of these wonderful trainers came out which could speed up your progress. If you're planning on going pro in today's environment, I'd estimate that it would still take at least a year but you'd be at a much higher level in that time. It would take a combination of playing online, using sites like GTO Wizard and using courses/personal coaches. Everyone learns differently so half the battle is figuring out what the most effective way is for you.

2) It depends on the site, but playing online at a certain stake is usually equivalent to playing 2-5x higher stakes live in Vegas. (i.e. If I'm playing $200-$300 MTTs online on wsop or Global, I'm at a similar skill level as those playing $1-2k MTTs live.)

3) Again, the answer to this will vary depending on how you learn best. Personally, I'd recommend recording your play (if you use a HUD online and have stats on your play, even better!) and hiring a private coach for a few sessions. If you're a beginner, having someone review your play in its entirety will help you understand where the biggest leaks are in your game. I'd recommend that you show them an entire session and not just hands you picked, because a lot of times you'll be making mistakes that you don't know about. A coach is the most efficient way to learn what you personally need to work on. 3-5 sessions should do it. Once you know what mistakes you're making, I'd organize those mistakes in order of most frequent/biggest pots ---> least frequent/smallest pots. That way you're prioritizing the spots that win/lose you the most money. Example: If you have a hard time playing out of position from both the Big Blind and from the HiJack in MTTs, you should certainly study how to play from the BB first since that spot comes up far more often. Basically, don't waste your energy on too many specific details or hands that are rare. Focus your energy on getting good at spots that are common.
As far as specific resources go, I use Floptimal to study preflop, GTO Wizard to train all of my postflop skills and I have bought a few Run It Once courses including The Game Plan for more advanced training. (See the response to IreAce below for more)
Good luck out there!
Is Las Vegas a nice place to live
YES! I love it. There are so many good restaurants, hiking in the mountains, art festivals, stand up comics, cirque de soleil shows, hockey games, concerts etc. The city is always changing and evolving so we never get bored. One misconception is that locals have to go to the Strip to have fun. I only go to the Strip to play poker or if someone is putting on a show I wanted to see. Other than that, we have expansive communities far away from the Strip with plenty to offer :)

Hi Ashley,

How do you study, and where/what do you recommend for MTT study do you think solver work is now a necessity in this day and age?
Hey there!
I recommend GTO Wizard, Floptimal and Run It Once MTT courses if you are advanced. If you are a beginner/intermediate, I think hiring a coach to help you spot your leaks is the most efficient use of your money. Solver work is very helpful for you to have a big picture understanding of game mechanics. I think it's important to have a strong theoretical foundation (using solvers) so that you can effectively deviate from it based on your opponent's leaks.

A good study plan looks like this:
Step 1: Identify your most costly mistakes (spots that come up the most or spots that have the most money in the pot). For beginners, hire a coach here.
Step 2: Label each of those costly mistakes as beginner, intermediate or advanced level concepts. Then, organize into PREFLOP or POSTFLOP concepts.
Step 3: Start studying PREFLOP conecpts that you labeled as BEGINNER mistakes---> specifying what type of leak it is will naturally help you identify which resource you need. (i.e. if you don't know your 30bb 3bet ranges, you'll know that you need to find a resource that quickly helps you learn that spot. I use Floptimal here to learn the ranges; then GTO Wizard to test whether or not I've learned it well by running drills.) As you improve the beginner concepts, you can move on to the more advanced concepts on your list.
Step 4: After a few months, check in with your game again (or talk to that coach from earlier) and reevaluate what your NEW biggest mistakes are.

Hope that helps!
[You can read the first answer above for more detail on how to get started in poker.]

Atararo14

Atararo14

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Hello Ashley, I hope you're fine.

I would like to know how to manage periods of down swing.

Sometimes I live a series of unbearable bad luck, I often lose the 80 20 and spots where I am completely favorite at sensitive moments of the tournament, it's recurrent, I am understanding the 1st time the 2nd, the 3rd... but then i lose my patience.

Ashley Sleeth

Ashley Sleeth

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello Ashley, I hope you're fine.

I would like to know how to manage periods of down swing.

Sometimes I live a series of unbearable bad luck, I often lose the 80 20 and spots where I am completely favorite at sensitive moments of the tournament, it's recurrent, I am understanding the 1st time the 2nd, the 3rd... but then i lose my patience.

In my opinion, this is the hardest part about playing poker consistently. Downswings can only be handled well if you have a strong mental game and are playing within your bankroll. Everybody has different mental game issues, so I'd recommend checking out the Mental Game of poker books by Jared Tendler. In it, he describes all the ways you can stay confident and motivated while on a downswing among many other helpful topics. It helped me uncover a lot of my own leaks. Good luck!

Atararo14

Atararo14

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
In my opinion, this is the hardest part about playing poker consistently. Downswings can only be handled well if you have a strong mental game and are playing within your bankroll. Everybody has different mental game issues, so I'd recommend checking out the Mental Game of Poker books by Jared Tendler. In it, he describes all the ways you can stay confident and motivated while on a downswing among many other helpful topics. It helped me uncover a lot of my own leaks. Good luck!
Thanks for your advice Ashley, good luck !

Atararo14

Atararo14

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Hello Ashley, I hope you are doing well.

Last night I played a bad hand.

At the bubble, there are 3 left for ITM, I am lo jack and I see :ac4::ah4: (25bb deep), I raise 2.5bb, button (40bb deep) call and the rest fold.

Flop :10s4::10h4::4c4:

I bet and button 3-bet all in,
I take my time... I say that if button has :10d4:x he calls, so I decide to call, he has :10c4::js4:

I would like to know if you have ever experienced this situation, i.e. you have AA on the bubble and you are head's up with a player who covers you and who raises you all in.

Thanks

Ashley Sleeth

Ashley Sleeth

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello Ashley, I hope you are doing well.

Last night I played a bad hand.

At the bubble, there are 3 left for ITM, I am lo jack and I see :ac4::ah4: (25bb deep), I raise 2.5bb, button (40bb deep) call and the rest fold.

Flop :10s4::10h4::4c4:

I bet and button 3-bet all in,
I take my time... I say that if button has :10d4:x he calls, so I decide to call, he has :10c4::js4:

I would like to know if you have ever experienced this situation, i.e. you have AA on the bubble and you are head's up with a player who covers you and who raises you all in.

Thanks
Yes, busting on the bubble isn't fun. I don't know if I've experienced this exact scenario, but I have been coolered or taken bad beats on the bubble many times. I hope it helps to know that it happens to everyone :)
p.s. You said that you 'played a bad hand'. If you think you could have played it differently, it may be helpful to ask yourself why and break down your opponents' range in this spot. That way, at least you learned something from your bust out.

Atararo14

Atararo14

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Yes, busting on the bubble isn't fun. I don't know if I've experienced this exact scenario, but I have been coolered or taken bad beats on the bubble many times. I hope it helps to know that it happens to everyone :)
p.s. You said that you 'played a bad hand'. If you think you could have played it differently, it may be helpful to ask yourself why and break down your opponents' range in this spot. That way, at least you learned something from your bust out.
Thank you for your answer.

Yes, I usually note spots like that and try to analyze them.

ghitocarcia

ghitocarcia

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
What do you think is one of the best rooms to play online poker? and the ones that offer the most free tournaments

coolDadJimbo

coolDadJimbo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hello ashley
i've watched a few of your videos and like them, you seem sincere and a person i would like to hang with. i'm primarily a cash game player, but understand the mtt game. i don't study mtt, but i've read harrington's books on tourney and some other stuff

my question is about mental strength and positive mindset. i listen to a podcast called Mindset Advantage by elliot roe. he interviews/counsels poker players and mma fighters. he is akso a hypnotherapist. i really like his podcast. the mental game is so important for everything in life and something i've become really interested in.

i'm wondering what things you do or would reccomend to help with mindset.

(being accesible to the poker community is super awesome. thanks for doing this )

blkmoney12

blkmoney12

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good afternoon to you Ashley how are you doing this afternoon. I have one question for you do you think women get as much respect as men when it comes to contracts for getting ambassadorships for poker sites what say you.

D

discintildeath

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This question might be a little different as I have goals I would like to achieve as I play across the country beyond poker.

I have only recently started playing again as I feel I have finally matured into an adult with enough life experience to handle the ups and downs of getting to be a stable full time/ then part time player. My plan is to play some home games and low stakes online to get back into the swing of things as I study and get ready to be on the road full time. I have many different avenues of income to bolster my bankroll and I specialize in building relationships with people as I try to be as genuine and kind as I can to everyone I meet.

My question is if I can maintain a stable bankroll and keep to my stakes I know that are profitable then do you believe building relationships with people at the table and in general on the road might lead to an increased side business no matter what that business might be? Have you seen these relationships build over the years or am I foolish to think that people I don't know that I'm trying to take money from are going to grow a relationship with anyone that beats them?

Sincerely,
Marshall

GrEbZ2021

GrEbZ2021

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi CardsChat members!

My name is Ashley and I'm so excited to join this community. I've been living in Las Vegas for 10 years now playing cash games and more recently, tournaments. I currently play $5/$10 on the Strip and higher stakes on live streams such as Live at the Bike. I'll buy in to tournaments as low as $300 and as high as $5k (with an exception for the WSOP Main Event, which everyone should try to play at least once!).

I have also traveled for poker events in many other parts of the world, including Europe, the UK, Australia, Canada, Africa and the Caribbean. I can answer a broad range of questions about playing live, traveling for poker events/series, playing on live streams or the general poker lifestyle.

My goal for joining CardsChat is to inspire new people to play poker and to encourage those of you who have a poker bucket list item to go out and do it!

Ask me anything :)
Hi Ashley, As a new poker player, I'm wondering which poker is easier to learn, tournament or cash games? Sincerely, Nazar

Last edited:
Baurzhan11

Baurzhan11

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Hey Ashley, tell us how you got into poker and started playing it?

A

Adieadie

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How many WSOP events will you be participating in this year and which ones are you most excited about?

Ashley Sleeth

Ashley Sleeth

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hello ashley
i've watched a few of your videos and like them, you seem sincere and a person i would like to hang with. i'm primarily a cash game player, but understand the mtt game. i don't study mtt, but i've read harrington's books on tourney and some other stuff

my question is about mental strength and positive mindset. i listen to a podcast called Mindset Advantage by elliot roe. he interviews/counsels poker players and mma fighters. he is akso a hypnotherapist. i really like his podcast. the mental game is so important for everything in life and something i've become really interested in.

i'm wondering what things you do or would reccomend to help with mindset.

(being accesible to the poker community is super awesome. thanks for doing this )
Hey jimbo,

Thanks for the kind words! Sorry for the delayed response.

I personally use the Mental Game of Poker books by Jared Tendler to learn about and improve my poker mindset. I've used them seriously for about 2.5 years and have seen tremendous progress. Taking mental game leaks as seriously as poker strategy leaks was the biggest eye opener for me. Since then, I've made sheets to track my progress as I go work on different issues. (It's helpful to write things out since mental game progress is hard to notice.)

I will definitely have to check out the Elliot Roe podcast now! He has a great reputation in the community.

Let me know if you want me to elaborate on anything.

Ashley
What do you think is one of the best rooms to play online poker? and the ones that offer the most free tournaments
I play on Global poker because the registration periods are short and most tournaments are freezeouts. I'm not sure which sites offer more freerolls than others, but they all offer some form of play money poker too.

Good afternoon to you Ashley how are you doing this afternoon. I have one question for you do you think women get as much respect as men when it comes to contracts for getting ambassadorships for poker sites what say you.
Hey nice to see you outside of the live stream :) Yes, I think we get just as much respect when it comes to contracts. In the world of content creation, your numbers are what people look at and luckily, numbers have no gender :)

This question might be a little different as I have goals I would like to achieve as I play across the country beyond poker.

I have only recently started playing again as I feel I have finally matured into an adult with enough life experience to handle the ups and downs of getting to be a stable full time/ then part time player. My plan is to play some home games and low stakes online to get back into the swing of things as I study and get ready to be on the road full time. I have many different avenues of income to bolster my bankroll and I specialize in building relationships with people as I try to be as genuine and kind as I can to everyone I meet.

My question is if I can maintain a stable bankroll and keep to my stakes I know that are profitable then do you believe building relationships with people at the table and in general on the road might lead to an increased side business no matter what that business might be? Have you seen these relationships build over the years or am I foolish to think that people I don't know that I'm trying to take money from are going to grow a relationship with anyone that beats them?

Sincerely,
Marshall
Hey Marshall,
Good luck on your poker journey and congrats on all the side business! I don't have any personal experience with networking at the table for side business. However, I think if you're consistently playing in the same poker room and organically develop relationships with other players, outside business conversations might come up naturally. Setting up a booth or something at the WSOP is a great way to network and advertise to poker players in a straightforward way. (I have a feeling that if you approach people at the table with the intention of getting something out of them, they will sniff that out and not appreciate it that much. If you're patient and let relationships develop and unfold over a decent amount of time, you will gain trust and *potentially* new business.
Hi Ashley, As a new poker player, I'm wondering which poker is easier to learn, tournament or cash games? Sincerely, Nazar
Hi Nazar, I personally think it's a matter of preference. They each have their own difficult points. Tournaments require you to learn more about preflop strategy, multiple stack sizes and how ICM affects your play. Cash games require you to learn in-depth postflop strategy, which is usually advanced.

Royal Vegas - Leo Vegas - Sky Vegas