Anyone have the % A/K is supposed to win pre all in - or How do I find that?

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Title pretty much says what I want to ask. What is the percentage - A/K is supposed to win all-in pre.

14/16 for me today prompted this question - and I'm curious.
Sometimes - I run good with it - like today - and other days I'm 4/14 with it. I'd figure 50/50 - 50% is common, but it seems to do me better more often than not.

I also lose to it often with pockets QQ-99. lol I hate it and love it.

abgvedr

abgvedr

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes AK is fantastic hand. Its beter then some pocket pair, cause with a pocket pair you are drawing dead vs higher pocket pair. But with AK you rarely drawing dead. You almost always are fliping or dominating a worse ace.

Well as for me im not the bigest fan of al in play. I hate when people shove like 100BB on some minraise. Thats kind of not much of a poker. Thats bingo. And with smart play and enough discipline people would get punished for such play. Like every time he wins its a small pot, but sooner or later he would run into AA or KK with his shove and go broke.

So actually your question is more about the opponents that you playing against. If they are willing to call with some mediocre hands then sure go shove al in on them they are gonna call. But then again. The more of poker you play the more you rely on your skill not the lady luck.

p.s. I just lost al in with 77 to what you might ask? Ten five. I shoved from UTG right away he calls and flops flush rofl. I was not realy in much mood for poker and knew some folks be calling with trash(and they did not dissappoint me). Otherwise i would not have done that.

Last edited:
perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on the calling range. And that depends on stack depth. If stacks are deeps and they only call with AA and KK you're at a big disadvantage.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
The winning percentage depends on which hand the opponent has and
how many players are in the distribution !!! For example, if you put AK all-in against any pair up to QQ (one-on-one), then your chances of winning are slightly less than 50%, but if 2 or 3 players participate in the distribution, then your chances will decrease significantly !!!
I think the calculator will help you simulate some situations and find out how good your hand looks in certain situations !!!
https://www.cardschat.com/poker-odds-calculator.php
Much also depends on the number of chips in the all-in: for example, AK all-in with 20-30bb looks fine, but AK all-in with 50-100bb is much worse !!!

Last edited:
Sulfuros001

Sulfuros001

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK Rate

Don't ever raise all in with AK, just call and see the flop... If someone goes all in before you, he might have pairs and guess what, it could be AA or kk... So it's not worth it, it's bingo game, play poker and enjoy it.

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
AK is a pretty strong hand, but it's not a guaranteed winning hand. As with every hand, you have to watch the people how they play, whether they play loose or tight. And the place where you sit and how many people are in your hand always plays a big role. For me, AK are just 2 high cards that can be beaten by any pair at any time. But I am also aware that AK is not a weak hand, so if the position is right and there are not too many people in the hand then it could happen that if I have a low stack that I go all in with it. But it depends on the table and how many chips I still have on hand. I've already folded AK often enough because I thought that it was best to do it at the moment and it is usually completely correct

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK vs a random hand (any 2 cards) is a 65% favorite to win. You would only win 2 out of 3 with this hand.

AK vs a solid payer that only plays 20% of their hands, will be a 60% favorite. You would win 3 out of 5 with this hand.

For me this is not an all-in hand. We need to play poker and not bingo, just as all the other folks have said.

I used the free software called Equilab to provide these percentages.

Good luck and God bless.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for all in the input fellas - yes - I was having a brain blockage last night when I posted, for some reason I could not figure this out. I blame some side effects from the 2nd covid shot.
I realized if I plug it into Equilab I can apply a range of hands vs A/K to see it's preflop equity. My brain was just not firing last night. :)

If I'm opening and get 3bet I will call or 4bet depending upon my opponent and stage of the event. I often will 3bet A/K - it is not a good hand to go multi-way with so I'm always looking to get it head up.

Well as for me im not the bigest fan of al in play. I hate when people shove like 100BB on some minraise. Thats kind of not much of a poker. Thats bingo. And with smart play and enough discipline people would get punished for such play.
Certainly agree with you ab. I'm hardly ever open shoving A/K unless I'm under 10bb and then it still depends. I was talking more about getting it all in pre vs another player who either jams on your open or 4bet jams to our 3bet.

Depends on the calling range. And that depends on stack depth. If stacks are deeps and they only call with AA and KK you're at a big disadvantage.
Yeah thanks perry - my brain was misfiring yesterday. Equilab has the answer. :)

The winning percentage depends on which hand the opponent has and
how many players are in the distribution !!! For example, if you put AK all-in against any pair up to QQ (one-on-one), then your chances of winning are slightly less than 50%, but if 2 or 3 players participate in the distribution, then your chances will decrease significantly !!!
I think the calculator will help you simulate some situations and find out how good your hand looks in certain situations !!!
https://www.cardschat.com/poker-odds-calculator.php
Much also depends on the number of chips in the all-in: for example, AK all-in with 20-30bb looks fine, but AK all-in with 50-100bb is much worse !!!
Agree I'm headed to a flop with A/K above 40bb, usually - unless I know I'm up against a maniac who will call down light or put it all in light vs a 3/4bet.

Don't ever raise all in with AK, just call and see the flop... If someone goes all in before you, he might have pairs and guess what, it could be AA or kk... So it's not worth it, it's bingo game, play poker and enjoy it.
Not ever? I politely disagree. A/K is a great hand to open jam from middle/late position with less than 15bb. Certainly not any more, but it is also good to jam with vs players who 3bet light, which there are many.

AK is a pretty strong hand, but it's not a guaranteed winning hand. As with every hand, you have to watch the people how they play, whether they play loose or tight. And the place where you sit and how many people are in your hand always plays a big role. For me, AK are just 2 high cards that can be beaten by any pair at any time. But I am also aware that AK is not a weak hand, so if the position is right and there are not too many people in the hand then it could happen that if I have a low stack that I go all in with it. But it depends on the table and how many chips I still have on hand. I've already folded AK often enough because I thought that it was best to do it at the moment and it is usually completely correct
Yeah - EP open 3bet from MP 4bet jam on the button and we are sitting in the big blind with A/K - blegh - cranky fold. :confused:

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
I'm thinking of getting flopzilla. Then we could test AKu against various ranges.
For me it is a drawing hand. I think it is overrated. AQu is even worse.

henriquemaduro

henriquemaduro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Title pretty much says what I want to ask. What is the percentage - A/K is supposed to win all-in pre.

14/16 for me today prompted this question - and I'm curious.
Sometimes - I run good with it - like today - and other days I'm 4/14 with it. I'd figure 50/50 - 50% is common, but it seems to do me better more often than not.

I also lose to it often with pockets QQ-99. lol I hate it and love it.

Use a poker calculator, you can calculate with a particular hand or range of the villain. I use equilab from pokerstrategy and like it a lot.

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
hello

It depends on the time of the game to go oll in if you have a considered stak and the opponent is short of chips it is fine, but if you are with fewer chips than your opponent it is preferable to play it quiet that is my thought, the same if you are in the prize bubble and a rival goes with everything and I have fewer chips than he would fold the hand

M

myquickwit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Propokertools is good if you want to see hand percentages. There may be better sites now, I'm not sure, but that's still the one that I use if I want to know what the exact percentage was of the given situation.