Anyone been/being staked?

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just another quick question as well. Say if I get a bcker but then I wanted to play a sunday storm or if stars have a special donkament that I want to play can i have some money set aside for that or will I be locked in to only playing backer approved games?

KerouacsDog

KerouacsDog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
guess you'd have to agree that with your backer. but as long as you had your own money to play I cant see it as a problem.

WEC

WEC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just another quick question as well. Say if I get a bcker but then I wanted to play a sunday storm or if stars have a special donkament that I want to play can i have some money set aside for that or will I be locked in to only playing backer approved games?

Just be very careful playing other games when you are playing a stake. Make sure to ask and clarify things 100% so there is zero misunderstanding. Generally in stakes, any misunderstanding is construed most favorably to the staker. This is so players can not take an angle on the staker. (but it happens all the time anyway)

Some stakers request you only play on the stake games, some are flexible

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess I'll just run everything through any staker just to make sure,

xdeucesx

xdeucesx

Bar Master
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just like WEC said, (assuming this isn't a personal friend)

with all business being conducted through the internet, terms can get shaky. I'd deffo run it by him/her first, bc if you win/cash, you could be told to give half back or something.

If you want, if/when you get the deal, pm me the details and I could look over them to make sure your not getting the shaft

or talk to WEC, he's extremely knowledgeable as well

WEC

WEC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You also might want to try one of the staking sites as well, because as you get known by the members, and get liked by some, money can come flowing to you. All the organized sites have either a Forum or Chat Room (or both) that enables you to become known by the others. (in a good or bad way) lol

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like parttimepoker for staking. Was pretty fun buying shares in players and letting them work for me :D

N

NoOneYouKnow

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have done plenty of staking in the past. I would probably try to stay away from the 'lolly shop' staking sites as they tend to only ever show up to take their cut. Find someone you trust, build a relationship and then pop the question (excuse the pun).

Directly aimed at you blue: your attitude and comments are going to be hugely detrimental to any stake you manage to obtain. I suggest you try to work on that as much as your poker skills.

A

Aldito

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Directly aimed at you blue: your attitude and comments are going to be hugely detrimental to any stake you manage to obtain. I suggest you try to work on that as much as your poker skills.

lol

Ezekiel162

Ezekiel162

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I will definitely stay subscribed to this thread. I looked into staking awhile ago and even joined parttimepoker but never applied for anything until I got further info. Could anyone further explain make-ups and player2player transfers?

R

Ranny

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Word or warning, be careful about the 'makeup', as meaning any losses need to be made back up before you start earning. I know players where a 40k MTT win still wouldn't get them clear.

Maybe look at a mentoring/staking solution where you will be trained as well as your play being examined in detail.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Well this blatently isn't true. The only place where I leave any questionable comments are on idiotic threads or where I have no respect for the poster. A stakers main concern is trust and poker ability. Both of which I would provide. I'm pretty sure any potential staker couldn't care less what disparaging remark on a "$40 freeroll" or "is this shit normal" thread. My contribution to threads that aren't stupid makes up for that.

Ezekiel162

Ezekiel162

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
...Word or warning, be careful about the 'makeup', as meaning any losses need to be made back up before you start earning. I know players where a 40k MTT win still wouldn't get them clear...

This is one of the reasons I haven't applied for any yet. A lot of the staking posts that I saw, MU was listed as a requirement. I'd like to find more if/when starting off that don't have this...

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just like WEC said, (assuming this isn't a personal friend)

with all business being conducted through the internet, terms can get shaky. I'd deffo run it by him/her first, bc if you win/cash, you could be told to give half back or something.

If you want, if/when you get the deal, pm me the details and I could look over them to make sure your not getting the shaft

or talk to WEC, he's extremely knowledgeable as well

Cheers for offer of looking over it. I'll probably create a thread with the details in (although I wouldn't be able to start anything till mid june so might be a while) just to see if people think terms are good.

polingpower

polingpower

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like parttimepoker for staking. Was pretty fun buying shares in players and letting them work for me :D

was great place
you could also get a coached/player deal also
i had that is was great being in the stable with
other great players to bounce hands off ghosting each others play

C

crocops

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I got stacked in the beginning of my "poker career" it was a 50/50 deal, lost alot because of bad running, staker couldn't care, he was shitloaded

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
this ^

Typically you'll need to build a relationship with backer &/or prior stakes played. You'll obviously be far more likely to get a stake for buyin level where your stats. show you're a proven winner.
I've done a few BAPs & one time stakes but have never played strictly as a staked player. Have done a few stakes for others though,.. all short term stuff.

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I got stacked in the beginning of my "poker career" it was a 50/50 deal, lost alot because of bad running, staker couldn't care, he was shitloaded

A lot of people get "stacked" at the begenning of their poker career :p

Getting staked however, now that is rare for a newbie. :D

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
been meaning to put my 2bits in
i have done a few tiny stakes (to work my way up)
and just recently started another, my stake is 50/50 with makeup
but with +ROI so far...
- even with makeup,its not so bad
ive noticed some stakes that pay different depending if MU is chosen
eg: 50/50 w MU 70/30 without...
its been a good experience so far
Ive even bought a few shares in ppl and sure I will do more
my stake will also increase when trust builds, and my staker also has a friend who will stake for much larger amounts if i prove a good horse...
will watch this thread,
Im sure your chances are good if you wanna try

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ill stake you if you need. Pm if interested.

1luckysob

1luckysob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
LOL

good contribution on every thread

C

Cdub512

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Staking is pretty interesting, might try it sometime. It's crazy how many people are staked in big buy in tourneys now a days because of variance, hard to find a lot of people who don't sell action.

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i'm staked, and have been the entire time i play tournies. 50/50 with mu is a pretty standard backing deal. can't leave deals in makeup.

other option would be to sell action in a marketplace at a markup, an example:

$100 of tournament buyins
0 markup: $10 buys 10% of cashes
1.2 markup: $12 buys 10% of cashes

you'd sell anywhere up to 70% to cover variance and help you play higher stakes on your bankroll.

if you need any advice or have any specific questions just post or pm me