Can any player become a profitable player?

Arthurinacio17a

Arthurinacio17a

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
dedicating yourself and studying, believe yes

J

JMarroche

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
with peace of mind you can be profitable

Miyagi not miyaji

Miyagi not miyaji

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Poker is a sum zero game. To win money, someone else has to lose it.

So no. Most poker players are not profitable

Dobbler1

Dobbler1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
There are few players who manage to achieve success and get rich with poker.

But what if a regular player dedicates himself to this sport and focuses on this career, would he also be able to evolve and become a great player?

Leave your opinion in the comments.
A great player? I don't think so. Any regular person (not cognitively impaired), with enough study and practice can probably become profitable, which is better than most players. Maybe even profitable enough to make it a viable career (maybe, but I'm not confident of that). Being a great player is a different story. If you're 5'2" tall, you're not going to be a great basketball player, no matter what. The same idea is true with poker. You need to have natural ability to deal with probability (something that humans are usually pretty bad at naturally), and a natural ability to understand human behavior, risk aversion, and decision making. Then you need to love playing enough to study and practice enough to become great.

Probably you also need enough of a stake to build a bankroll big enough to play the best players. If you start out with $10, and that's literally all you can afford a month, you could make great decisions, and variance can get the worst of you, and you can go broke in a short amount of time without getting much practice in. If you're not practicing, you won't get great. If you're only playing low stakes players, you won't get great. So if you're super broke, and you start on a bad swing of luck, it could take a long time to build your skills and bankroll to a place where you could even start to play against great players. It's not a coincidence that many good players became wealthy by other means and then had success in poker. They could afford the best coaching and could learn at the highest levels of competition without fearing being able to pay their bills each month.

pansipos

pansipos

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
I am not. Not enough time for it...and i am not a good player, just like to play...

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It will depend on your continuity, persistence, skill, constant study and dedication, no one gets knowledge overnight, the need for time like attending a university

M

mssmotilda

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that only very talented people can become great players.

Berandir

Berandir

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Of course yes! The player who studies, plays in his ideal stack range, makes correct moves in the game, has a great chance of being a profitable player!

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Of course not - unless they only play freerolls.

Only about 10% of poker players are winning - the rest are losing or breaking even.

fullclock

fullclock

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that any player can make a profitable income, but to do that you have to study hard and be very disciplined when playing tournaments. It's a sport where you have to be very focused and know what type of game you're going to play against each rival.