B

bowserdon

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
AK dont work 4 me pocket 2s beat it but do u fold it on all in??

WOW just played AK suited on 888 , A& K came but lost Q 5 Flush, all in more pain

Last edited by a moderator:
TheNutz4You

TheNutz4You

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
as you know AK is just ace high, nothing more. I will take it in a flip though, anytime :)

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i often dont reraise with AK anymore .....only call a reraise and sometimes only call a raise to see if i hit anything

this hand often let me down

ChubbySin

ChubbySin

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK has to be the most overrated hand in all of poker seriously. I cannot remember the last time I won an important flip with it or even get it in good against lower Ax they hit their J or 10 or whatever.
Always against pocket 7s that type of hand when the roles are reversed and Im holding 10s or JJ there's 35 kings and aces in the deck. It's been the Bain of my life lately I'm considering starting to fold it when I'm deep in tourneys it screws me over each and every time.

I strongly agree with you.

J

johnsonmad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don’t like AK very much, if you don’t get anything on the flop you probably won’t win. I rather have a lower pocket pair.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
AK in poker. One of the most finicky hands in the game. It can inspire or disappoint you. And if you don't know how to play it correctly, you can almost certainly count on the last option. AK is known as Anna Kournikova among poker players. Because it looks good but never wins. The truth is that AK is actually a very strong hand. Her problem is if she's overrated or played the wrong way. You play big pots when you lose and small pots when you win. But it shouldn't be.

thwenth1983

thwenth1983

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The strength of AK depends on stack size.

Good morning everyone, AK is a hand whose strength depends on the size of your stack, the deeper you are, the less strength your AK will have. in cash game, which in my opinion is the hand that loses the most money in cash. What do you mean? With AK in theory and in practice almost 100% of the fild will play 3bet and when you hit a flop with A or K and X X, you C-bet and in this preflop pot situation with 3bet players will respect a lot and fold and when they play call or raise it is very likely that they have trips or two pair and in the best scenario they have a straight or flush draw. I usually leave my cash game hands under observation at pokerstars and then I analyze the players and making notes and the hand that I see most players losing 100 blinds and with AK, the villain calls the 3bet with 22, 33, 44, 55, 66 ,77 and hits the A 2 8 flop, the guy with AK, thinks he is much more is practically lost, not counting the hands that are AK vs KK and AK vs AA, there's only a lot of AK strength in Mtts and when you have less than 35 blinds in my opinion. theory, you shouldn't bet 100 blinds, with top pair, even in a 3bet pre flop pot, I think the correct thing is to hit A or K flop, c-bet 1/3 , turn can vary low frequency check, or c-bet between 40% and 80% and river check, but poker is a very complex game and there is no 100% guaranteed income.

Attachments

• AKs vs TT.jpg
    AKs vs TT.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 16
W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
no matter what they say, but always AK is 3 bet or if the opponent raises then call, they have always played and will play like this, there are also AK of the same suit

Ketienne

Ketienne

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think that it's overrated. It's still one of the best starting hand and if you play it correctly you should able to profit from this hand a lot.
What doesn’t mean that there are no spots in which a fold would be the right decision.
Play it pre-flop agressively should be the key here.
Even often enough you will have the high card if you don't got the pair on flop. So it's a really worthy hand in my opinion.

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unfortunately, I also lose more often on AK than I win, especially important hands. Do not be discouraged, you will have a skid in the tournament, which you will be proud of. Good luck to you.

CaptainMooti

CaptainMooti

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK has to be the most overrated hand in all of poker seriously. I cannot remember the last time I won an important flip with it or even get it in good against lower Ax they hit their J or 10 or whatever.
Always against pocket 7s that type of hand when the roles are reversed and Im holding 10s or JJ there's 35 kings and aces in the deck. It's been the Bain of my life lately I'm considering starting to fold it when I'm deep in tourneys it screws me over each and every time.
Depends on your goals and the way you play. But if you follow the GTO then you probably want to be pushing those babies out of position and in position check the flop..

leoniq888

leoniq888

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK overrated. Hi!

I often go all-in with AK, and lately I've been getting less and less lucky. And if I enter the pot with AK raises or even do 3-bet, the flop rarely shows A or K. In this case I have to bluff in the hope that the opponent will discount, or in some cases to give up (if the opponent is aggressive and makes a big bet of 2/3 of the pot or more).

P

pontvadasz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Often, the premium cards are not accompanied by good cards. For me, AA is a flop a lot. I've folded both before the bubble - and my hunch was right.

efranto2286

efranto2286

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Hello, it happened to me many times in my early years of playing poker… I overvalued AK… And ended up losing to any pair at the table. :D

flattershay

flattershay

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It kinda is a little overrated because mostly, it's a coinflip and it's not good to risk your tournament life with it. However, in late stage is almost a premium, because players are more agressive with shoves.

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK is weaker than any pair. This must be accepted.

J

Joselmb31

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You don't have to stop betting them, or playing them the right way, coming to the turn and not hitting your top pair doesn't mean it's a bad hand, because it's still a profitable hand for value, but not to overvalue it and pay an all in on the river.

dzsire

dzsire

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
Maybe AK is overrated, but the same situation with KK.
I am not paranoid, but always when I play a higher entry fee MTT on Pokerstars, I always (once again: always) lose. I bet preflop, villain goes all-in with A9, I call, and the flop: xAx, and tourney is over.

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think it's overrated, it seems to me that this is the most popular hand, especially for beginners, and there should be statistics on this hand somewhere, probably the percentage of winnings there is not small

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I'm not a big fan of AK, although sometimes I play, when they're of the same suit, I've lost more than I won, there's a saying I know that says, who doesn't risk doesn't gain

YenRodriguez

YenRodriguez

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've won against AK with 22 just like I've lost with AK against 22, it's a matter of variance.

G

GIB

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Any pair is worth 50%-56% against AK. It's practically a coin. And if the opponent does not have a pair, then the probability of winning will be 60% or more. Therefore, if you play a lot, then the result of victories will be 50% to 50%. I think it's important to choose the right opponents and situation to play with AK. Perhaps folding in some cases will not be a mistake

ninocabral

ninocabral

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Many recreational players lose a lot of money because they don't know how to play with AK, they think that because they simply have AK they will win the hand and lose blame the sites, I've seen several times player extension all their chips on the flop, turn and river without hitting anything more because he can't drop an AK...

mariuspoker1

mariuspoker1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
100% i agree with what you say; me too many times i over appreciated AK hand and never learnt from previous mistakes:rolleyes:. I hope i' ll never do this mistake in futute but when you are in fever of the game ....:D.

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not think AK is overrated...it is a strong opening hand...the problem is folding when nothing hits on the flop.