Is AK a made hand or not and why?

R

Roman933

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Not a made hand

Any other starting hand needs to be a pair or stringer to be considered “made.” AK is a strong starting hand, to be sure, but still only Ace High. It doesn’t become “made” until it connects… Just like any other Ace High or any other hand.

Logg

Logg

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Getting AKs in the big blind and seeing a 2BB raise get called around to you is a nearly made-hand-type of situation to either bet the pot or jam.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not a made hand, although it is superior..

A pre-flop made hand, is one that stands to win, even if it misses all connectors and suits. So, a pocket pair is the only made hand, pre-flop.
But if you strip it all down, AK if it misses everything, it is nothing but A high, with a K kicker.
It is a superior drawing hand, especially suited. As enticing as it is, AK is a drawing hand.
This is just a quick overall look at AK as a made hand. The rest of Cardschat can fill you in on all the details, options, etc.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not quite sure why anyone would make this their little hill to die on.

Yea, right? It's a pretty easy term to define. Listen to Dan Harrington, or Doyle Brunson, Dnegs, and so on (a lot of others) in strategy talks and how they categorize certain groups of hands pre (like "made" hands, which can easily change on the flop), or books such as The Theory of Poker and **** (I dont think it is all that necessary to name all the books that talk about this, but there are many).

So there are lines, but basically, the term has been defined by poker pros for decades. I mean, one can get all "well, what is the meaning of "the"?" if such a pressing need is there to do this. But the term "made hand" is well documented, and if time spent arguing the semantics ín great detail on a term that is pretty much set in its definition seems like time well spent, enjoy the journey.....

I guess some people are just bored.

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
AK is a great preflop starting hand but unless it's an all in jam fest you have to be able to play it to the river. Not a made hand, it's simply often an overplayed starting hand.

S

StressMit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK

A strong hand against only 2 or less

K

korbal29

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its a great hand against AQ ,thats all I can say

K

kanycta99

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is not a finished hand, it's not a bad starting hand. But don't overestimate it.

F

Foxie12340

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK

No it’s not a made hand. It can be beaten by 22. I thought only pairs were made hands pre flop

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would consider a "made" hand to be at least a pair or better as listed within every set of playing cards.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Yea, right? It's a pretty easy term to define. Listen to Dan Harrington, or Doyle Brunson, Dnegs, and so on (a lot of others) in strategy talks and how they categorize certain groups of hands pre (like "made" hands, which can easily change on the flop), or books such as The Theory of Poker and **** (I dont think it is all that necessary to name all the books that talk about this, but there are many).

So there are lines, but basically, the term has been defined by poker pros for decades. I mean, one can get all "well, what is the meaning of "the"?" if such a pressing need is there to do this. But the term "made hand" is well documented, and if time spent arguing the semantics ín great detail on a term that is pretty much set in its definition seems like time well spent, enjoy the journey.....

I guess some people are just bored.

Well, to state the obvious, do we then start debating whether AQ or KQ suited is a made hand? Or are any two cards to be considered as they potentially could hit a flush or straight? I am just a little baffled why this has become a matter of debate (even if some see it a grey area).

E

eugenedav

Enthusiast
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Ak is the highest nutted no pair hand that has excellent show down value. However it is not a made hand until it hits on the flop turn or river then it's made hand but if you win with without being made then cool.

mushthebush

mushthebush

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
It's a hand made of an A and a K. Looks cool, has potential, but a 22 will beat it and that mofo with 22 be smiling like there's no tomorrow. However, I will always be the one holding AK and be beaten by the 22 gambler every now and then, so I would like to take this opportunity to wish you best of luck.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
It is a drawing hand and loses frequently when the holder can't give it up when raised.

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A strong hand, but it does not win in all cases. There may not be A or K and accompanying street, Flash. As a result, the loss to the pair is 2 2 and that's it. Therefore, I do not understand your optimism about A. K. Is a good option, but I like the hidden set more. The opponent does not realize the strength of the hand, therefore it is easy to go with the same pairs of A to Allin.

C

CaioBandeiraGomes

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
AK good opp

At that moment I left the tournament for being called by 55 and had Ak, the villain made trips. It happens, the important thing is that I did a right thing to be profitable.

Jardel Barros

Jardel Barros

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK it's difficult

It's a tricky hand because I start to think I have the best hand and I end up being more aggressive than usual.:p

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, to state the obvious, do we then start debating whether AQ or KQ suited is a made hand? Or are any two cards to be considered as they potentially could hit a flush or straight? I am just a little baffled why this has become a matter of debate (even if some see it a grey area).

Yep, I agree. It is a fine topic to discuss, but to get all vehement about it is silly IMO. So, in the spirit of "been there, done that" I am unsubbing from this thread.

AK is a great starting hand. Call it what you (collectively speaking) want, or accept the definition of the hand as seen by the professional poker world. I don't really care either way, as I said, been there, done that.

GL to all at the tables in any case.

N

nutself

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is a dangerous hand to both its holder and his opponent, a lot of time the life and death of a tourney depends on the outcome of the preflop all-in with it. AK is given too much responsibility in such situations.

INISHTE

INISHTE

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
Hi Friend.

It's not a made hand, but it blocks A and K, if someone shows up with AA or KK, it would be very bad luck, I'd have no problem going headfirst with that pair, whether they're the same color or not.

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's a premium hand, that's for sure

gigantbil

gigantbil

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With AK you feel confident in yourself anyway and you make a raise and you can twist the opponent to his preflop raise

Skot_Gy

Skot_Gy

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
It is not a made hand by definition.
But it's a great hand fo raise/shove preflop in tournaments.
I always try to maximise this hand. Not always succeeds :p

VikyGia

VikyGia

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi

AK is considered the best hand being of the same color, however my opinion is that I prefer AA

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands