xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hi all,
I keep hearing people all the time talking about AK and the trouble playing it because, while it is a strong hand, it is not a made hand. Yet, almost no one has a problem getting it in preflop with AK (esp suited). So, this begs the question: Is AK a "made hand" -- why or why not?

I believe that AK IS a made hand. It beats all other Ax besides AA (which is a decent made hand as well...lol), it is also beating all Kx (besides the obvious KK that is not too shabby). As draws, it makes the nuts on both flush and straight boards, it flips with every pocket pair (that is not the aforementioned AA and KK) and it is leading every other hand. It does not necessarily need to improve to win at showdown.

What is everyone else's opinion?

marvinsytan

marvinsytan

I'm going to win The PokerStars Sunday Million
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
AK is not a made hand but very strong in going all in pre-flop because it is always ahead of any Ax besides AK obviously and you are 50/50 vs most pairs except AA KK which you already blocked

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
again ...in torunaments it is very strong and i would go all in without hesitation unless the shover is a big nit

but in cash games i am cautious with it . it can become a disaster real quick

Havik

Havik

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi all,
I keep hearing people all the time talking about AK and the trouble playing it because, while it is a strong hand, it is not a made hand. Yet, almost no one has a problem getting it in preflop with AK (esp suited). So, this begs the question: Is AK a "made hand" -- why or why not?

I believe that AK IS a made hand. It beats all other Ax besides AA (which is a decent made hand as well...lol), it is also beating all Kx (besides the obvious KK that is not too shabby). As draws, it makes the nuts on both flush and straight boards, it flips with every pocket pair (that is not the aforementioned AA and KK) and it is leading every other hand. It does not necessarily need to improve to win at showdown.

Its a really good hand because it blocks AA KK. If you're going against anything else your still in good shape.

A

ALLRUS79

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you only have two cards, it's the best possible unpaired starting hand. There are five more cards to be dealt. If you pair it, you'll have top pair best kicker which is good enough to win many pots unless you have a seriously multiway pot. It also has the potential to make a nut flush, a nut straight and a royal flush any of which is good enough to win most multiway pots. When you say high card is the worst hand, you're comparing it against all other poker hands. When you have only 2 cards the best hand is one pair (AA). AK off suit has about as much equity as a tiny pair. The possibility of the nut flush that being suited offers, makes this a very strong hand indeed.

You'll usually need to hit a pair or a straight or flush draw on the flop to make the hand worth continuing with but I'd take AK suited over a small pocket pair any day. With a small pocket pair, you need to flop a set to be confident you have the best hand.

Alex.

sincos

sincos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Naturally, AK is not a made hand. On the post-flop, you need to show aggression within reason

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With a big stack, this hand is not worth stacking at all. If you're short-stacked, this hand is great for all-in. But the most important thing is who your opponent is. What are the notes on it, is there fold equity.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
This is a combination of cards - and nothing more))) A good combination of cards that in many cases will win without amplification, but I can’t call it a ready hand !!!

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that dividing hands into ready and not ready is not right. After all, any hand can lose. It is more correct in my opinion to consider AK, as well as any other hand must be understood as having a chance to win in the distribution.

Luan

Luan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
depending on your situation it can be perfect or not, like at the beginning of a tournament this hand is usually reasonable to play, being that already in the bubble phase of a tournament and being in a situation of less than 15BBs it is very good for try the double, but remembering this in a good position because usually always comes AA KK in the hand of the villain!

M

Master_nolios

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm super agro player but I hate flips. Specially since I'm only winning flips at a 23% rate. I won't bother with which site.

A,K is a drawing hand. Pair of dueces beats A,K if it doesn't hit. You happy pushing AIPF with deuces?

I make a ton of money off A,K players live. But to me drawing hands hit more often online. But that's an opinion.

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
ak is not a made hand , it is a good hand ,but a made it's not :)

thwenth1983

thwenth1983

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
AK is a strong and weak hand depending on the stack

Good morning everyone, depending on your stack size, AK can be a hand that will put you in difficult situations, especially in cash games where you always have 100 BBs or more. In the cash game it's the hand that I lose the most money, by theory you should play 3bet whenever you have AK, and villain calls you c-bet flop if villain calls, you already have to be smart thinking about villain's hand, if hitting A or K on the flop and villain check-raises there is a high probability that villain is beating you with trips or 2 pair. And edge with A or K in pot played pre 3bet villains respect a lot when they don't hit a very strong hand you c-bet and villain folds. I've been playing poker since late 2018, and in my opinion AK is a very strong hand with 30 BBs or less in Mtts and when it's very deep it's a hand that can put you in difficult situations often.

T

TomCj

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
No

AK is not a made hand
simply because you have to catch a pair
to have a chance (most of the time)

any other pair can beat you if your cards don't hit

It IS a good starting hand with great potential to win
if you hit your cards

but its a toss-up pre-flop

You might hit 'em , and you might not

TC

T

thesternburglar

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a great starting hand and almost always a raising preflop hand. If you miss a flop even with all cards below an AK and there is a bet, I fold 100% of the time unless a nut flush draw is on the board.

fernandofcp

fernandofcp

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To me, AK is a strong hand in formation and has high winning power, nothing more.

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
how can ak even suited be a made hand if you dont even have a pair? even 22 is better than ak offsuit and against ak suited is a coinflip so every pair higher than 22 will beat ak suited more than 50% of the time. however unlike pairs (specially low and medium pairs) ak specially suited plays very well against multiple players and the only hands that truly dominates ak are aces and kings so thats another big advantage ak has against small and middle pairs which can be dominated by higher pairs.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you believe a made hand is a high card with a good kicker, then yes. I'm thinking a pair is technically a made hand.

ATL2000

ATL2000

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not sure if AK meets the criteria for being a made hand, but it's certainly one that I have a hell of a time folding preflop in tournaments. :D

M

MickGreed

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I been seeing alot of ppl going all in with the AK hand, I'm not comfortable going all in its not a self-made hand,

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
AK is very tricky. It trails pocket pairs pre-flop so it's very tough to push with in cash games.

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great Thread

Hi all,

I think its only a made hand because so many people play it and by playing it, its essentially the most common hand you see jammed all in either pre flop or other - i personally dont see it as a made hand however i think your view that it beats X, Y, Z, hands is a good point and can be argued.

AK is without doubt in my mind, the most over played hand and the one hand i see get into trouble more than any other.

xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think its only a made hand because so many people play it and by playing it, its essentially the most common hand you see jammed all in either pre flop or other - i personally dont see it as a made hand however i think your view that it beats X, Y, Z, hands is a good point and can be argued.

AK is without doubt in my mind, the most over played hand and the one hand i see get into trouble more than any other.

I agree with you that AK is very overplayed but it is with good reason. So many people on here talk about AK losing to 22 but the fact is, it is a coin flip with pairs all the way up to QQ. So, while 22 IS a pair and considered a made hand, it flips with almost every other combo of starting hands that can be dealt (except 2x combos like A2, K2, ect) but is dominated by all other pocket pairs. So, while people point out that AK is losing to 22 preflop, it still wins half the time like it does against all the other pocket pairs QQ and below while it dominates a ton of other potential calling hands. And the thing with ANY pocket pair besides aces, you dread the flop where an ace hits the board. With AK, you are happy to see that ace.

Maybe a more apt question would be to ask what defines a "made hand". I think a made hand is one that is likely to win at showdown without having to improve. AK fits in that category.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands