Is age a factor?

wagon596

wagon596

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm 66 years old and retired on SS. I play 8 to 10 hours a day almost everyday. Micro stakes. Only play multi table SNG's or tounaments... I use to drag race (35 years) so I have to say the feeling of a win or good finish in a poker game is close to the feeling to seeing your win light come on at the end of the race track. Take Care

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Okay I been playing poker a long long time just for fun and to enjoy it. I am 50 years old but I am pretty physically fit. I was in the military and they kept us in pretty good shape. I noticed lately I have been getting burned out after a long MTT. It's not like I'm doing anything physical but it is taking it's toll. My wife says that playing poker releases chemicals into your body when you are in tense moments of the game. She also says that these chemicals are addicting and you will go through withdraws if you do not get THE RUSH that playing poker gives you.
Any thoughts on this?
I am 51 years old and retired 7 years. My daughter told me the same thing almost verbatim, and she is a nurse.
I have been playing poker, going on 4 years, I believe. I don't want to be addicted, so I make sure my 3 mile walk and 1/2 hour of floor exercises get done at least 5 times a week. I also try to spend quality family time with many people. But poker is time consuming, as is golf(I mention golf as I promised myself to never play golf until I reach age 62). To get good at most things take monumental amounts of time. I let my friends and family know that poker is my side job that gives me money, just as their jobs earn them money to buy the things they want.
The stress levels and release of chemicals in reaction to situations in poker feels the same as when I was a computer programmer. Stressful, provided satisfaction, and provided me an opportunity to earn some money. Only differences are when I was a programmer, I did not often make time for exercising. And with poker, I can be around family while working it.
Remember, everything in life, in moderation.

Last edited:
JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Remember, everything in life, in moderation.

Well, except for Poker and Cribbage.

Beyond that I agree... but for pasta. Yeah that's it. 'Cept drawing. then I agree. And guitars... and maybe a few other things.

But other than those, I agree. ;)

-

bullishwwd

bullishwwd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
One word - testosterone. If you are over 50 you more than likely have diminishing testosterone levels which equals lower cognitive functions, not to mention lower aggression and easily tired (mental and physical).

I got shots and my poker improved.
what kind of shots?

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what kind of shots?

Testosterone

Got the first shot at 9 am and was feeling much better by the end of the day. More clarity of thought and energy. I get them every 3 weeks

A

AllInDom

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Were do you get the Testosterone, do you need a script...

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Were do you get the Testosterone, do you need a script...

Yea, but they give you the script at the reading.

BUT, the auditions are hell, at least from what I have heard....

Oh, maybe I misunderstood.....

woohoo sue

woohoo sue

Brings Laughter
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
There really is nothing but Poker... well, and Cribbage.

-
that's a big 15 there buddy!
I believe in addiction to the game/high ....I can't find it in doing dishes or laundry or mopping floors?......my husband wishes I did I bet...lol.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
FWIW, I'm 62 and occasionally get to kick your young whippersnappers collective asses.......

:D

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's the adrenaline rush that keeps most of us playing longer and when the adrenaline rush is gone, you will feel a bit fatigued IMO.
There are times when my job will keep me up all night and when I get home I will be tired but will stay up to try to get back into a proper sleeping pattern by keeping myself occupied by playing a MTT.
As I progress through the tournament, I will start to nod off until I get the hand that doubles or better my chip stack and I'll be wide awake again.

As for age being a factor, sure it is but IMHO, the older you are the more patience you should have to play those long games.

O

only_bridge

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One of Swedens best poker players is Christer Björin.
He was born in 1947 and claims himself that he is better than ever, and has easier to cope with long sessions now when he is a bit older.

T-Dubs82

T-Dubs82

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i suppose in terms of playing long sessions

radman

radman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mental stress is a known cause of phy. exhaustion. At any age but one could only conclude that the older we get the slower and longer the recharge takes. Which mmeans that one day our max recharge is gonna be lower than 100%. Hopefully poker will help us keep sharp and fit longer than others.

IWinUlose

IWinUlose

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker

Like anything I do agree with the adrenaline part it does get in your blood the rush of just playing in general. I don't go thru withdrawals if I'm not playing sometimes I have to stop when things like a bad run are happening and just getting me frustrated. I do how ever think age does make a difference as I'm 57 and playing MTT's and this is for real from driving a truck for 25 yrs my dang back starts killing me and at times I lose focus. I give a lot of credit to Doyle at his age being out on the circuit and playing with guys under half his age and keeping up with pace. To me as long as you don't have a problem poker is a game that I like and it just get's in your blood. :)