Advice for my home game...

PNJs_dad

PNJs_dad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys. I have recently started a home game(we've had 2 nights of it so far). We're planning on meeting every other Saturday night with buy-in being pretty small $5 the first one and $10 with $10 rebuys the second one. I was wondering where I could find some ideas about structure for my games. Actually any advice or places to find info etc. would be appreciated. Thanks so much. :)

Grossberger

Grossberger

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys. I have recently started a home game(we've had 2 nights of it so far). We're planning on meeting every other Saturday night with buy-in being pretty small $5 the first one and $10 with $10 rebuys the second one. I was wondering where I could find some ideas about structure for my games. Actually any advice or places to find info etc. would be appreciated. Thanks so much. :)
www.homepokertourney.com

This site has all you will need for a home game.

B

bigjoker66

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cash games are much better suited for home games.

What do the people do when they get knocked out?

Just play $0.05/$0.10 or something. No timers and/or blinds changing to worry about.

M

matt0216

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its a lot easier to just play cash games. Having to change the blinds and everything is too much work. Plus I think cash games are funner to play at home anyway.

Grossberger

Grossberger

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its a lot easier to just play cash games. Having to change the blinds and everything is too much work. Plus I think cash games are funner to play at home anyway.
Yea it really sucks to hear the timer go off and say ok blinds are up LOL.

Poof

Poof

Made in the USA
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cash games are much better suited for home games.

What do the people do when they get knocked out?

Just play $0.05/$0.10 or something. No timers and/or blinds changing to worry about.
In our home games, the busted out players usually start their own cash thing and ppl can be added as they bust out.

M

matt0216

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea it really sucks to hear the timer go off and say ok blinds are up LOL.

Too much work for me.... Id rather just play cash and not have to keep track f the blinds. Its not just when to switch them . YOu need to set up a tourny structure then set time limits and what your going to change the blinds to at every level. Cash is easier. Plus when you play tourny, if its not rebuy then people can get knocked outearly and have nothing to do. In my cash games people can get more chips whenever they want.

R

rugby0

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Be very careful who you attract and where you advertise this game. Home games are becoming a very real target for people with guns. Security has become such a problem in KC that I have stopped playing in regular home games. Very rarely is a police report filed so there are no good stat. Good luck

s

B

budebuzz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The home games I have seen have two ways to play, not more than 10 people or you may have long waits. Someone has a watch with a timer on it.

1. This one we try to get as many games in, blinds go up quicker and no re buys.
2. This one is a one game style, 1 re buy and 1 add on at a determined blind level so you have more chances to stay in, we also have a bounty where each player puts up a couple dollars and they get a special chip and when they get knocked out the person who knocks them out gets the chip and you cash those in at the end, you never loose the chips you win just can loose your original chip so you could still get some money even if you get knocked out.

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Be very careful who you attract and where you advertise this game. Home games are becoming a very real target for people with guns. Security has become such a problem in KC that I have stopped playing in regular home games. Very rarely is a police report filed so there are no good stat. Good luck

s

I dont think it will be a problem at this home game.

The Gent

The Gent

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I help run a home game, easiest thing for me was to go to Dusk till Dawn poker website (having played at the club a few times) and put their tourney blind structure into the poker timer I downloaded for free from the net. I also use their exact chip set up.

The idea is that playing these in the home game means I am ready for the same structure when I go back to the live card room.

lektrikguy

lektrikguy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play in a tourney once a month-$40 buy in/1 $40 rebuy/add on. It works just fine with the blinds going up. My buddy has a program that auto picks seats and times it and everything.

http://pokertournamentmanager.com/index.aspx

Not sure if you're willing to buy it or not but here it is.

J

JEP712

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From my experience of home games, I learned that poker is played super slow. Home games are full of talking and many people do not pay attention to the action. Also many times players will act when it's not their turn.

What we did for my friend's home games is we all started with 200 chips and raised the blind up every time someone gets knocked out. We started at 1/2 then 2/4, 5/10/, 10/20/, 20/40, 25/50. Of course this is totally wrong, but no one seems to care. I just quietly took advantage of it. It was the easiest game every. i never had a losing sessions with those guys. Good luck on setting one up for your place.

Nexus6

Nexus6

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont think it will be a problem at this home game.
hell i play in long beach california and the ghetto bird is out 24 /7 and I have no problem at home games with guns and such. you'll be fiine.. I think KC and company doing to much speed lol...

Organize a Home Poker Game Top 10 Games