Ace-rag offsuit

PurgatoryD

PurgatoryD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I need to amend my previous stance on A-rag. I had forgotten the short stack game! Last night in the CC freeroll I went all in pre-flop with A-rag. An ace showed up somewhere on the board and I was able to hang around for a bit longer. Ah, everything's situational in poker, isn't it? :)

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I hate these hole cards. I loathe these hole cards. I often seem to get these hole cards.

The reason I hate them is I feel like I do not play them correctly, ever -- in middle position, in late position, in blinds. Namely, I usually don't play them.

I feel like I'm leaving money on the table through my ineffective play with Ace-rag off, or allowing myself to be pushed around while holding them. How aggressive do you get with, say A-8 or lower? Preflop and post-flop? How 'bout in middle position?

It really depends on the situation. (first off.. whether it be tournament poker (early levels? mid levels? late? what pos.? etc. etc. etc. or deepstacked cash game, or HU SuperTurbo SNG (lol), etc.).

If I were you, I Really wouldn't be worried about 'leaving money on the table' while holding A-rag hands. As mentioned above these hands have reverse implied odds (you might stand to win a small pot.. or lose a big one).

Putting the hand in the actual context of play (the specific situation we're in when dealt it & the action before us) makes such a HUGE difference in how one would likely want to proceed with it.

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Fold A Rag.

Situational dependent at times.

pricecube

pricecube

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I remember watching an interview with Annie Duke where she talked about ace rag. She said that so many people raise from middle position with ace rag, get called by the button or the BB, they hit an ace on the flop and then have absolutely no idea where they are in the hand. I think it's a common leak with new players who see that ace and fall in love with it. To my mind, folding that ace rag certainly saves you money. Obviously the later stages of a MTT would alter the play with this hand somewhat. I feel like ace rag is one of those hands that will win small pots occasionally and lose big pots more often.

takethepain

takethepain

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm happy to steal blinds from BB, or even CO on certain cash tables with ace rag. early and mid positions its a fold everytime.

essambb

essambb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i dont know about that guys A rag late postion is good enought for a rasie if 2 players calls and it good enought to take that pot down right there and it looks like like a sqeeze play and you have an ace to go with it so you better use it and use the postion as weel as you have the ace

F

fugitive67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it's a solid hand HU :)

but, i think understanding why it's trouble can allow you to play it correctly

you are almost always happy when you pair your highest card and have top pair, but not so much with A-rag ... you can't help but feel you're out-kicked, since anyone that woke up with AT or higher probably is in the hand with you and if you're gonna feel that way, then why play it to begin with

of course, like anything in poker the situation and the player(s) will and should dictate what you do

beating somebody with KK or QQ after you flopped your A can be fun, but if they fire at all 3 streets it is almost impossible to call without a great read

what i would say is that in my experience, what I would call above average players probably de-value A-rag off more than they should and value A-rag suited more than they should

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Okay so it's not like I would NEVER play it at a full table but I will and have folded it after the flop even when an Ace does come up. I will definitely, 100% of the time, fold it in early position.

Ice Wolf

Ice Wolf

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Im in the same boat you are. I never play them right and they always seem to get me beat one way or another. Lose to A-rag and lose with A-rag. Love it when I have my cowboys kicked by em, that's my favorite thing in the world and probably the thing that makes me happiest in life.

seachicken

seachicken

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like to play A-rag except as a steal type hand or a bluff. I am not looking to see a flop. And if you see a flop you have to be able to let them go. One c-bet and then i am done. The nice thing is if its steal attempt and you get called at least you have an A. I prefer if it is suited even thought the odds are not that much better but it makes an opportunity for a simi bluff on the flop or turn.

My last two big cash nlhe losses came from someone playing A-rag.

i just thought about one situation where i lover A-rag; table chip leader in a mtt tournament with ante's to open any pot from mid to late position.

J

Jimbrown

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Ace-rag offsuit
I always wait for a good time to deal and sometime depends upon my mood...

laidlow

laidlow

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the muck in early stages of a tourney for sure!

T

TIGERSTUMP

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if your not playing a rag ,,and folding it often ,,then u are on a good footing with your game,,, so many guys get hung up on a rag,,,u will loose money in the long term ,a raggin ....

G

Ganther

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I may play A rag in early tourney, but 95% of the time I fold cause pre flop they are just 2 cards and I don't have a hand.

I am sick of players playing with A rag off suite. I will be sitting there with KK or QQ put in 4 - 5X the big blind and donkey a$$ calls me when he is under the gun with a A6o hits his 6 on the flop.

I bet 3/4 the pot and he calls, nothing on the turn I bet 3/4 the pot again he calls.

River turns over sure enough 70% of the time it's an A or 10% of the time another 6 and 20% of the time I win (according to my hand history). I am talking when bb is over 500+ and the player has over 25K in chips. don't even get me started on the players in early tourney play.

HeavyW

HeavyW

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I actually laughed when I saw this thread.

I used to play A rag like it was something special and kept wondering why I was getting beat every time. About a week into playing I decided to always fold my a rag. Ever since, I always last longer at the table by not playing it.

Lost a few bucks learning that its a crap hand, but I see lots of people still playing it like it was gold.

Like others said though, I will possibly play it pre flop to steal if im in position, but any bets and im outta there lol.

LuckyChippy

LuckyChippy

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you lose money with a hand, try to learn how to play it. If you can't just fold it, by folding you make more money by not losing money. Generally it's a pretty bad hand anyways.

beantownmaniac

beantownmaniac

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hell, there are times when I'll fold A-Q preflop. I hate that hand. I lose more often than win with it. As far as ace rag goes, I agree with those who said chuck em unless in the right position AND the right time.

K

KidVicious

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
6max we open it in the CTO or on the B. Sometimes 3 in blinds facing CTO or B open. Usually iso any limper. Really depends on if your playing 6max or full ring. Full ring I'll still open from LP. Also, usually call one raise PF if 4 or more to the flop. It can be played in many different situations. It really just depends on how well you play post flop.

K

KidVicious

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hell, there are times when I'll fold A-Q preflop. I hate that hand. I lose more often than win with it. As far as ace rag goes, I agree with those who said chuck em unless in the right position AND the right time.

Bruins lookin good tonight!

Elivo

Elivo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Early in a game ill fold it every time, late in a game i may play from button if im the first to enter the pot or maby one call in front of me. I have a hard time laying thoes hands down, esp when they are suited, but i force myself to hit the fold button.