AA or KK: Which Do You Prefer? (edit note: previous title was AK or KK, but original post is AA or KK)

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
KK every time over AK, it is a vastly overrated hand, as to make a straight, you need 3 specific cards Q/J/10 I would prefer to play a J/10 over A/K as the straight possibilities increase and if you are lucky to hit a straight with J/10 it always is the nut straight.
The only way it lets you down is if there are a pair on the board, which opens the possibility of a Full House or Quads, or 3 suited cards, which opens the Flush possibilities, but these are always the dangers when playing any two cards.
Once in a heads up situation I was facing an all-in from my opponent who was holding A/K and I even told him I suspected that was what he was holding, Turning my cards Q/10 face up I called and he turned the A/K over with a big smile on his face, the smile disappeared after I paired my Queen and beat him.
I have lost count of the number of times A/K has let me down even if I am lucky enough to make 2 pair on the flop, you certainly cannot fold top 2 pair after hitting the flop so well and even someone playing pocket 8s has you beat if he makes trips, but that is why Poker is so exciting and fun to play.

When the fun Stops, STOP!

Happylake

Happylake

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
AK or KK: Which Do You Prefer?Reply to Thread

If on the olyn before the flop, then AA. It all depends on the situation when AA is stronger, when AK is stronger.

jsnake716

jsnake716

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I find these questions to be so strange. every single answer should just consider the math. AA is a favorite over every other hand, so if you are asking which starting hand with nothing else to consider then of course, it is AA over every other hand.

telespf

telespf

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great comments

Is very important you make a pair

Win the hand with on hight card is very difficult. So, before flop, is only this that you have with AK

Already with your KK you have a good pair before flop.

KK every time over AK, it is a vastly overrated hand, as to make a straight, you need 3 specific cards Q/J/10 I would prefer to play a J/10 over A/K as the straight possibilities increase and if you are lucky to hit a straight with J/10 it always is the nut straight.
The only way it lets you down is if there are a pair on the board, which opens the possibility of a Full House or Quads, or 3 suited cards, which opens the Flush possibilities, but these are always the dangers when playing any two cards.
Once in a heads up situation I was facing an all-in from my opponent who was holding A/K and I even told him I suspected that was what he was holding, Turning my cards Q/10 face up I called and he turned the A/K over with a big smile on his face, the smile disappeared after I paired my Queen and beat him.
I have lost count of the number of times A/K has let me down even if I am lucky enough to make 2 pair on the flop, you certainly cannot fold top 2 pair after hitting the flop so well and even someone playing pocket 8s has you beat if he makes trips, but that is why Poker is so exciting and fun to play.

When the fun Stops, STOP!

Porras2424

Porras2424

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Either of the two hands plays excellent preflop, however the luck of the flop is what determines, the movement to follow, hands both premium, THE positive variance can help us or we will have to have a very good reading of our opponent and be able to fold at risk ,, luck and patience ,, we will have better long-term hands ,,,,

S

Spheremaster

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi all, I like- KK because this hand beats AK very very often...

have a nice day :)

AmyricoLiliana

AmyricoLiliana

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A pair is always more winnable than a str based on a high card
Ak- can be knocked out with a smooth little pair of 2s... I'm not the kind of guy who starts allint on a high-rise... Of course, that's just my opinion...

Z

Zirkzee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Even if KK are worth more, I prefer AK. If an ace comes on the flop you usually have the best hand with AK and if you have pocket kings you just don't want to see an ace on the flop. Many players watch the flop with Ax hands. While you dominate these players with AK you can sometimes be hopelessly behind with KK if an ace comes. Even if I raise by 4 blinds preflop with pocket kings, fishes call with Ax hands there is as sure as the amen in the church.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is clear:

A, A pair because it performs much better than K, K (at least it should be :hmmmm: ).

B

bioman420

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
KK because I've won more lots with KK than with AK.

Batarang96

Batarang96

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Only going into a big, multi-way pot, I'd rather have AKs. Because KK probably won't hold up.

The better question is, AK or QQ? And my choice is always AK.

Last edited:
duderino89

duderino89

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
As long as i get both of them allin preflop i am happy with both under 100BB eff. As soon as we reach >100BB eff. i allways prefer aces obviously :D

messats

messats

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
LC
Chips
it may seem obvious but... i may disagree with you. i'm less disappointed with kings when they run into any Ax with an A on the board.... i feel like i should know better.

with aces, i feel like i should win.. and when i don't, well...

what about you?

we can all agree that KK has a slight advantage here, only card that beats it is ace, and there are only three left in the deck

B

beelzeebuub

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Kings slightly over AK (suited or otherwise).. A bird in the hand is worth a preflok raise.. depending on position, I would raise 2x-4+x bb unless there was a raiser in front of me.. :)

D

dnadeau1989

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i prefer KK any pair is better starting

G

gonzalo1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer KK because it is a safer and more profitable hand preflop, also from my perspective I see that a K comes out more often than an A

mateuszjason

mateuszjason

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
easy choice, KK is second best hand pre flop.

Pair is better then AK :) so KK is easy choice :D only AA preflop is better then our hand.

D

Decades

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer KK, because with the pair your a infront before the Flop

M

moularaki

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
prefer KK because it's favorite
don't go all in with it you may loose against any A

R

RDHartsoe

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would take Kings over Aces. I've had my Aces cracked more often Kings.