A poker tell(".)?

JessyMoneyAA

JessyMoneyAA

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I found a online poker tell but the players don't make it very often. For example someone has 11853 and he bets 1853 , it's often a bluff because he don't care of the 1853 chips because he has got over 10 000 . It worked a few times for me.

Jam Castro

Jam Castro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
WOOOW(",)!!!I never imagined a lot of forum members are going to reply on my post, Thank you so much(",)and I appreciate all of your tips and advices, Thank you also to the ones who subscribed to this post. I really really really learned a lot and I hope other members too. keep posting guys(",), see you all in the poker table and have a nice poker day!

jdeliverer

jdeliverer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I found a online poker tell but the players don't make it very often. For example someone has 11853 and he bets 1853 , it's often a bluff because he don't care of the 1853 chips because he has got over 10 000 . It worked a few times for me.

Heh, I've had this happen once when a player was drawing; I guess he either wanted to win big or have a nice even number at the end. Either way, someone with the nuts probably won't do this.

M

marvinas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that tells exist and can help you against certain players, but one thing makes me wonder: if Mike Caro is o recognized tells expert, why is he only famous for his book? I would expect him to rob all WSOPs, WTPs, High Stakes Poker etc etc. Or is it another case of "one who can't work, teach. One who can't teach, manage"? Any thoughts on that?

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Mike Caro's Book of Tells is a good one. Not only does it explain all of these tells, it gives ratings on how accurate he believes each one is.

Caro is OK. Joe Navarro's Read 'em and Reap is a squillion times better IMO though. Better researched and written, better and much clearer images and a hell of a lot easier to read and apply. Plus it skips all the stuff about draw poker home games that's irrelevant to 99.95% of the population.

Just to buck the trend, I disagree with all the people saying tells are overrated. So there.

And as to the neck issue from the OP, you want to be looking at multiple areas, not just one. How is the person sitting, where are their hands, how are they breathing, how are they acting, and how are all those things different to their behavioural baseline? You can't get reliable information from just looking at the neck - or the eyes, or any other single area for that matter.

anarchy304

anarchy304

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
here's a tell that i've found from many inexperienced players. watch the eyes (if you can see them) when they look at their hand then glance down at their chips, you know he's thinking about how much to bet, or he's thinking if it's worth the risk, because of his stack. some people do that without thinking. now when you play next online or offline try to catch yourself doing that. some players will do a double take on their cards (could be a fake move too). oh also, one last "tell" if they break chip. (shuffling chips (if they are good) and they miss one on top of another). face flushing, rapid breathing. inconstistant fidgiting or movement. impatience. most live players will take their time to make a call just to see if the other play gives any kind of signs. so take your time, and you'll learn to find them. practice on your g/f. during live play i'll talk to them to see if they give something away too. if they seem agitated that your talking so much. because most players who have the nuts; don't really care how long you take. hope this helped alittle bit.

C

cjyh84

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
dude... tells are subjective.
there are some tells that can be applied to the general mass, for example looking at your chip stack after you see your cards... but then again, there are some tells that are unique to the player... some ppl might twitch their upper lip when asked, "have you got 10s?", etc... others may start talking lots of trash... etc..

the thing is to know your own personal tells and exploit them to your benefit

R

Reducto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Caro is OK. Joe Navarro's Read 'em and Reap is a squillion times better IMO though. Better researched and written, better and much clearer images and a hell of a lot easier to read and apply. Plus it skips all the stuff about draw poker home games that's irrelevant to 99.95% of the population.
I actually thought Caro's book was easier to read - each tell had its own heading, confidence rating, and cheesy picture. Navarro's book had a bit too much of what I considered filler - stories about the FBI, car buying, Phil Hellmuth talking about how great he is.

I read both and got in about 30 hours of live play over the weekend. I spotted tells from both books. There wasn't a ton of overlap between the two so it's worth picking them both up. Navarro deals with a particular type of body language while Caro deals with more traditional tells gleaned from many hours of time and research at the tables.

Poker Tells