A Lack of 'Pure Bluff'.

lanelane

lanelane

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Many have described that they do not like bluffs and do not use them too often. I also rarely use it and my experience is that I lose more than I win.
I want to learn more from the pros in the future because a good bluff in good time can bring a lot .

With pleasure!

Lets say I play hand which has some value, say a pair of sixes, but the flop shows a straight or flush and no trips for me. I might make a small raise to gauge other players response, to semi-bluff if you will but, what I do not have the ability to do is represent the flush or the straight.

What I mean is I cannot play the board and tell a story, make a pure bluff (or maybe calling it a 100% Bluff might have made it easier to understand)

I can say I am happy with my game - it is fundamentally correct- but as was pointed out above it is predictable if I am betting, I have a made hand, which longer term is not as profitable for me if I was less predictable. That said, making a leap out of my comfort zone is not easy![/quote]

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it is necessary to bluff on some spots in an MTT. especially if you have an aggressive style of play. to have chances that your bluff works. it is advisable to have a good image at the table and to target the player who will be the least likely to pay you. personally I always try to bluff the least possible.

firstcrack

firstcrack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Semi-bluffs are more important to have in your arsenal than pure bluffs. Semi-bluffs allow you to potentially scoop a pot if no one calls, or an even bigger one if someone does and you hit your card on the next street. Semi-bluffs are a way of changing the percentages in your favor when managed well.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Firstcrack-

Semi-bluffs are more important to have in your arsenal than pure bluffs...

Completely agree.

The other day I was watching some early Phil Ivey. He went into a pot with a mediocre hand, raised, then when his bet was matched (or even re-raised I can't recall this hand perfectly) he looked taken aback. It was as though he had thought, " I'll just take this pot".

He then bet the turn I believe, his opponent matched, then on the river he went all in. I do not think it was high level thinking, I do not think he had a specific read either.I believe he wanted the confrontation, the showdown..."I'll put my whole stack in danger, will you?"The guy folded, as numerous would in the years to come.

I think one component of making this kind of bluff is not being scared to lose, to be able to embrace the gamble- something which feels almost alien to me.

tehb1987

tehb1987

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pure bluff is possible only on the bubble. It all depends on the opponents. But in General, everyone is trying to keep the stack and enter the prize zone. Hence the possibility.
In other cases, bluffing is a road to nowhere.